Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

Chrome

Firebird Freak
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I

I'm hinking Rory Gallagher, SRV,
Honestly earned battle scars
to be honest, first and foremost, it is my opinion, there is none better than SRV period. That being said, according to the book Stevie Ray Vaughn: Caught in a Crossfire, page 75 is a pretty decent description of where and how Stevie purchased number #1. not quoted word for word but in the text of " how much you want for that old raggedy thing, it looks like shit" he said to Ray Hennig. obviously the relic thing hadn't happened yet. Although I do not doubt that SRV's playing added scars and character to #1, for the most part it looked as it does when he bought it. I love the character of a well worn guitar, but I won't pay extra for it. the tone and playability of a guitar will sell itself hands down in my opinion regardless of how it looks.

Markedman

Reaction score
True relic'd guitars must have broken necks.

All it would take for broken neck guitar to become popular is for some nerd or Rockstar to prove a repaired neck is "sonically sounder" than an unbroken neck.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

All it would take for broken neck guitar to become popular is for some nerd or Rockstar to prove a repaired neck is "sonically sounder" than an unbroken neck.
the Gibson fanboys will be happy to read this lol.

yladrd61

Reaction score
I did not care much for them until I played this one.

Attachments

• CS 62-63 JM Relic Seafoam.jpg
    CS 62-63 JM Relic Seafoam.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 11

PelliX

Reaction score

Case in point, SRV's #1 had its neck broken. Some lighting truss rod that fell on it or something like that, I recall. He wasn't actually playing it when it happened. I can just imagine the horror when seeing or hearing what happened. Brrr...

Makes you wonder about this clip:

I think I prefer chipping a tooth to cracking the neck on any of my 'beloved' guitars. Stevie was in fact hitting his teeth with the strings, which makes more sense to me that what Jimi may or may not have been doing, depending on whether you buy it or not. You can't move your upper jaw, and without some serious 'dental anomalies' I don't see much chance of touching the strings with your lower incisors, at least on a Strat.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
what gets me is its funny how a reliced guitar is poser-ish but having 100 watt stacks
in the bedroom and basement and you dont play out isnt. roflmao.
honestly, IF i were that type of guy and had to pick one as being poser...........
i mean which one says rock star wanna be honestly?
I have two half stacks, a Marshall and a Carvin, and considering a 5150 Iconic. For me, it's not about volume because I never play loud at home. It's all about headroom. The lower wattage amps (unless we're talking about a 50-watt) don't have the depth and "grunt" factor that the 100-watt models do.

seventhson

Reaction score
I'm no buddha but pretty sure you'll enjoy life more if you focus on the things that make you happy rather than being unnecessarily bothered by someone else's annoying but ultimately harmless behavior. For example, my wife and daughter love watching Downton Abbey and Bredgerton. Guess what I'm doing when that happens? :D

Leonard Neemoil

Reaction score
I'm no buddha but pretty sure you'll enjoy life more if you focus on the things that make you happy rather than being unnecessarily bothered by someone else's annoying but ultimately harmless behavior. For example, my wife and daughter love watching Downton Abbey and Bredgerton. Guess what I'm doing when that happens? :D
You shame them for liking such drivel?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I would think half the point of getting a relic'd guitar is that whoever worked that guitar and whoever is buying it would make 100% sure that it is beyond custom quality gear with absolutely nothing needed to be done and sound like the best guitar of a whole batch from that make and model.

The odd thing I find about relic'd guitars that duplicate the exact same scars is that the person playing them is obviously not going to get away without adding their own accidentally if they are playing the thing enough. Meaning after years of use, it will have its own new scars added. Do you send the guitar back again to get restored to its original relic'd condition or what?

PelliX

Reaction score
I would think half the point of getting a relic'd guitar is that whoever worked that guitar and whoever is buying it would make 100% sure that it is beyond custom quality gear with absolutely nothing needed to be done and sound like the best guitar of a whole batch from that make and model.

The odd thing I find about relic'd guitars that duplicate the exact same scars is that the person playing them is obviously not going to get away without adding their own accidentally if they are playing the thing enough. Meaning after years of use, it will have its own new scars added. Do you send the guitar back again to get restored to its original relic'd condition or what?

Nah, you just pat yourself on the back after years of playing for slowly approaching what another guy with some sandpaper did in 10 minutes .... :D

I have a relic'd Fender Strat. It's a fine guitar, but I figured out why it got relic'd by the previous owner. The chew marks here and there obviously gave him two choices: restore, or fuck up further. By the dental impressions, I'm guessing a puppy or some kind of large rodent, but probably puppy...