PSA: if you are selling a Les Paul

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
At that price used, it's a no-go. I paid $350 for my 2007. The Fender noiseless pickups are crappy (if that's what it has, mine did but now has Lollar Blackface).
I don’t mind the Fender noiseless pus I put in my tele build but I haven’t tried their Strat ones. I have the DiMarzios in one Strat and they do the job well enough. No Fralin/Lollar tone but as always it’s a compromise I suppose

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are magic weight numbers for guitars as far as sonically, while others choose for weight (which is very much understood for concerns).
If you had a heavy LPC, then it was post 68 that had the wider headstock, machined tuners, and a Maple top prior to the original all Hog bodies.
From what @tallcoolone mentioned of the 9.0lb Standards, that should be every ones goal for both weight and sonic magic in a Gibson Les Paul Standard. (pickups will be just as important of course and there is a magic recipe for that as well). The LPC players are a different bunch altogether.
When targeting an older Deluxe, weight is key again and supports @tallcoolone 's WTF is the weight so can save everyone involved a bunch of time? Although collectible, I would not want one with pancake construction, as those are not spine and back friendly, and with the weight tells me around what model years. YMMV
Exactly! Sellers need to realize (if they want to actually ‘sell’ anyway) that weight is the first thing someone looking at these guitars wants to know.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got this reply from a local LP listing :facepalm::

Not sure of actual weight but it’s pretty heavy it’s not chambered. I would say around the 9 lb area

junk notes

Reaction score
Just got this reply from a local LP listing ::facepalm:

Not sure of actual weight but it’s pretty heavy it’s not chambered. I would say around the 9 lb area
oh no, not that guy..:facepalm:

As much as I desire to buy the guitar, it is an immediate pass to save my sanity. This is a hard thing to do especially when they not have a clue of what they own or are selling.

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Huh? Say Wha...? :shrug:

Here's a pic of some LP's on the Sweetwater site:

9lbs 6oz
9lbs 2oz
9lbs 12oz
9lbs 6oz

The difference in these weights is a few ounces and not even detectable by a human being. If you try to tell me you can feel the difference between a 9lb 6oz guitar and a 9lb 12oz guitar, I'll tell you you're lying through your green-ass teeth. :rolleyes:

GibsonLPWeights.png

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Huh? Say Wha...? :shrug:

Here's a pic of some LP's on the Sweetwater site:

9lbs 6oz
9lbs 2oz
9lbs 12oz
9lbs 6oz

The difference in these weights is a few ounces and not even detectable by a human being. If you try to tell me you can feel the difference between a 9lb 6oz guitar and a 9lb 12oz guitar, I'll tell you you're lying through your green-ass teeth. :rolleyes:

View attachment 112509
I can, not sure why on earth I would lie about such a thing?

FennRx

Reaction score
Post the damned weight. It’s not like you are going to keep the fact that the instrument weighs 11 pounds a secret and it will save everyone involved a bunch of time.

carry on lol
I’ve never weighed any guitar. Hit the gym, sissy

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve never weighed any guitar. Hit the gym, sissy
I am extremely confident you wouldn’t dare to say that to my face ;)

And, like I want to tell these sellers, this is one of those occasions where it doesn’t matter what YOU think