PSA: if you are selling a Les Paul

lespaul339

Reaction score
Are you 53? Do you exclusively play standing up? Do you play long shows?
I used to gig 3 nights a week. 3 hour shows each night, plus band practice 2 times a week on top of that. Gave it up and don't play live anymore. I played my LP while giging. I get that they're heavy. No I'm not 53, I'm 38. I do have back problems because of a car accident when I was 18. I fractured my back really bad in that accident. I also have degenerative discs in my back. Also, scoliosis. I go to the Chiro once a month just to keep my back in check. I have a really fucked up back. Have suffered back pain since my late teens. I still play my LP.

Suck it up, old man! jk

I do get that a les Paul can be too heavy for some. I'm not going to lie and say I don't get a sore back if I play mine standing up for too long. I do. But to me it's the price I pay for having that lovely LP tone! That, and they're also my favorite guitars. But is a pound or two in weight difference really going to make that big of a difference if you're strapping on a LP for the whole night? Either way my back is going to be sore.

Last edited:

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to gig 3 nights a week. 3 hour shows each night, plus band practice 2 times a week on top of that. Gave it up and don't play live anymore. I played my LP while giging. I get that they're heavy. No I'm not 53, I'm 38. I do have back problems because of a car accident when I was 18. I fractured my back really bad in that accident. I also have degenerative discs in my back. Also, scoliosis. I go to the Chiro once a month just to keep my back in check. I have a really fucked up back. Have suffered back pain since my late teens. I still play my LP.

Suck it up, old man! jk

I do get that a les Paul can be too heavy for some. I'm not going to lie and say I don't get a sore back if I play mine standing up for too long. I do. But to me it's the price I pay for having that lovely LP tone! That, and they're also my favorite guitars. But is a pound or two in weight difference really going to make that big of a difference if you're strapping on a LP for the whole night? Either way my back is going to be sore.
You would be surprised how much better my neck and back are using 8-9lb guitars as opposed to 10+. Sold all my heavy LPs a while ago—my R8 and R7 black beauty Custom are both right around 9lbs which is reasonable but I know there are lighter ones out there and I’m always (really, always lol) looking for new toys.

In love with the new Kauer Banshee I got a few months ago—thing looks like it weighs a ton but it is a little over 7lbs:

full

lespaul339

Reaction score
You would be surprised how much better my neck and back are using 8-9lb guitars as opposed to 10+. Sold all my heavy LPs a while ago—my R8 and R7 black beauty Custom are both right around 9lbs which is reasonable but I know there are lighter ones out there and I’m always (really, always lol) looking for new toys.

In love with the new Kauer Banshee I got a few months ago—thing looks like it weighs a ton but it is a little over 7lbs:

full
Wow! That thing is beautiful!

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm still seeking out the right Les Paul. One that is somewhat light with the larger neck profile. The Les Paul Studio lites are excellent except for the slim taper neck that I couldn't get used to!
I hear ya loud and clear there brutha, I can’t stand that slim taper neck carve. I have been looking for an ES Les Paul and if I come across one I’ll prob grab it. Not sure how it will handle feedback wise with gain tho so it will be a bit of a gamble. Of course those are pricey—the Custom Lite I have is as I said 8.5lbs which isn’t bad and it does have a “50’s neck” but it’s far from as substantial as the R8 and R7 which I love.

I do hate the fact that most companies only offer larger neck profiles in their higher priced instruments. Fender especially which is why I roll my own with Fenders and get what I want

Biff Maloy

Reaction score

full

Damn! Not to derail the subject but i like that also. Very sharp looking.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Well that is the risk you take with every online sale, which is why the only thing I’ll sell online are pedals.

Not an issue for me since I am only looking at local in person Les Paul sales.

Very true. I got burned selling a guitar through eBay back around 2007 (or so), and vowed to never allow myself to get screwed like that again. Have followed through on that to this day. It’s been like 15 years, and I still want to cage fight that guy (and the thugs at eBay that sided with a scammer). Pathetic.

What ultimately happened to the guitar? Well, I got it back, posted it on Craigslist, and it was gone by the end of the day. The guy was absolutely thrilled!

Wildeman

Reaction score
Les Pauls are heavy, I expect that, the only light one's I've ever played were weight relieved, I know which models those are, I stay away from them. I expect a LP to weigh 10 to 13 lbs.

Deftone

Reaction score
Les Pauls are heavy, I expect that, the only light one's I've ever played were weight relieved, I know which models those are, I stay away from them. I expect a LP to weigh 10 to 13 lbs.
My '79 LPC is 10+ lbs.

@tallcoolone I had an '89 Studio Lite, same body as the Custom Lite that had a baseball bat for a neck. It had a Floyd and two humbuckers. We actually measured necks on MLP years ago and my Studio had the fattest (IIRC)

IMG_0167a.JPG

The neck didn't bother me at all and I loved the guitar, but I found a LPC Lite with a Floyd after 10 years of searching so I sold it.

RCM 800

Reaction score
I had a White Les Paul Custom, like around an '08 I think. Weighed 12 pounds. We called it El Doce lol. Played one four hour gig with it and sold it to fund a '98 R7 Custom at around 9 pounds. I didnt think it would be a big deal but when you have your own gear, the PA to contend with and all the other little things loading out at home that night sucked ass. My back was done.

Wildeman

Reaction score
I'll add that there's plenty of 10- 13 lbs Telecasters and Strats out there too. That shit is like a Parker Fly compared to a resonator 5 string banjo😬

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I promise I will leave all the 10+lb Les Pauls I run across for you!

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll add that there's plenty of 10- 13 lbs Telecasters and Strats out there too. That shit is like a Parker Fly compared to a resonator 5 string banjo😬
Fenders are easier since they are essentially parts guitars—here is a strat I just finished building. Just over 6.5lbs

That’s the white aforementioned Custom lite next to it:

full

jeffb

Reaction score
FWIW-weight is a big factor for me too. Weight did not used to bother me, though I've always preferred light guitars (guitar I learned on was a featherweight hollow-body)

Now into my 50s and back/other surgeries later, weight and overall comfort makes a big diff. I don't gig anymore. But I do play standing up. So it's a factor.

No more than 9lbs for a Les Paul. My #1 was 8.75 when I bought it- I added a pickguard and taller rings, so it's probably right around 9 now.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Les Paul ’60s Tribute T
vs
Fender Deluxe Player’s Strat RW (model#: 0133000338)
As I do every Sat am I am reading geek boards and checking Reverb and CL. 5 seconds after I saw your Strat this hit my feed:

mark123

Reaction score
As I do every Sat am I am reading geek boards and checking Reverb and CL. 5 seconds after I saw your Strat this hit my feed:
At that price used, it's a no-go. I paid $350 for my 2007. The Fender noiseless pickups are crappy (if that's what it has, mine did but now has Lollar Blackface).

junk notes

Reaction score
There are magic weight numbers for guitars as far as sonically, while others choose for weight (which is very much understood for concerns).
If you had a heavy LPC, then it was post 68 that had the wider headstock, machined tuners, and a Maple top prior to the original all Hog bodies.
From what @tallcoolone mentioned of the 9.0lb Standards, that should be every ones goal for both weight and sonic magic in a Gibson Les Paul Standard. (pickups will be just as important of course and there is a magic recipe for that as well). The LPC players are a different bunch altogether.
When targeting an older Deluxe, weight is key again and supports @tallcoolone 's WTF is the weight so can save everyone involved a bunch of time? Although collectible, I would not want one with pancake construction, as those are not spine and back friendly, and with the weight tells me around what model years. YMMV

Latest posts