PSA: if you are selling a Les Paul

jeffb

Reaction score
Post the damned weight. It’s not like you are going to keep the fact that the instrument weighs 11 pounds a secret and it will save everyone involved a bunch of time.

carry on lol
Agreed, but I think most people never weigh them or have an accurate means of doing so.

I always get "it's like a pound more than my strat" or "IDK maybe 8, 9, 10 pounds?" type of answers.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed, but I think most people never weigh them or have an accurate means of doing so.
Well I am usually looking at $3k+ instruments--I found a digital fish scale on AZ for under $10 next day shipping
I always get "it's like a pound more than my strat" or "IDK maybe 8, 9, 10 pounds?" type of answers.
LOL I got one of those replies earlier this week. "IDK I'll take it/let me think about it/hell no"

Usually people just play dumb, knowing their guitar is on the heavy side but trying to pretend they don't know.

Calebz

Reaction score
Post the damned weight. It’s not like you are going to keep the fact that the instrument weighs 11 pounds a secret and it will save everyone involved a bunch of time.

carry on lol
I tend to agree with you.

Though I've come to believe over the years that most people just don't care.

I have a $10 Dunlop digital luggage scale that works great for weighing guitars.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score

carry on lol
I'm guessing many don't have a scale that works for something with a guitar's awkward shape. Bathroom scale and math will probably get you within a pound, so it's not terribly accurate. I'm lucky that I have an Oxo kitchen scale that goes up to 13 lbs, but I would never buy a scale for just that purpose.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Though I've come to believe over the years that most people just don't care.
I agree with the base models like Traditional, Classic, Tribute but when you are talking big money Custom Shop and Historics that's a different ballgame. To me anyway--I have 16 guitars, anything new coming in has a hard limit of 9lbs.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing many don't have a scale that works for something with a guitar's awkward shape. Bathroom scale and math will probably get you within a pound, so it's not terribly accurate. I'm lucky that I have an Oxo kitchen scale that goes up to 13 lbs, but I would never buy a scale for just that purpose.
If you are trying to get $3-5k for a used intrument I feel a $12 investment on your part is a reasonable request

Deftone

Reaction score
I have a couple of different luggage scales. Even the cheap ones are surprisingly accurate.

I keep a spreadsheet for all my guitars (and a separate one for my amps)

It contains S/N, Make, Model, Color, Date of MFG., details on modifications and of course weight.

A note on Les Paul Custom Lites or Standard Lites: "Lite" does not mean lightweight. It just means the body is thinner. They cans still be heavy in relation to normal Les Pauls.

Carry on.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A note on Les Paul Custom Lites or Standard Lites: "Lite" does not mean lightweight. It just means the body is thinner. They cans still be heavy in relation to normal Les Pauls.
Yup--my LP Custom Lite is a little over 8.5lbs

C-Grin

Reaction score
Just weigh yourself on a bathroom scales, then weigh yourself again holding the guitar and see what the difference is. It may not be 100% accurate, but it'll be damn close.
I always weigh myself naked so yes I weighed the guitar I am sending you, and my strap is a hang low :fever:

FutureProf88

Reaction score
Not to make light of (no pun intended) the argument about the weights of Les Pauls, but this is one of the reasons that I typically just take something to a dealer and sell it to them or consign it if I want to move it.

LP's are heavy, and frankly I've found that I like the heavier ones better. I have no idea what mine weigh, but having bought and sold stuff on Reverb I've found that buyers can be so fickle about stuff I'd even be hesitant to put a weight. I'd just say "it's heavy," or "it's really heavy," or "hope you work out." I am sure that if you weighed one and put "It's a 10 pound guitar," that you set yourself up for a response of "I weighed it and it's 10.5 pounds!"

I had typed in thoughts and stories in here about different experiences in the music and classic car world. Bottom line, truth in advertising is important, but I have found that you can be completely straight up with people, ask a fair price based on the whole of what you are selling, and a would-be buyer will still nitpick it. Don't be that guy.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've found that buyers can be so fickle about stuff I'd even be hesitant to put a weight. I'd just say "it's heavy," or "it's really heavy," or "hope you work out."
That would be good enough for me. As I said, any new instruments I buy going forward weight is a big consideration. I play at least an hour a day and I have never in my life played the guitar sitting down. Our live shows are 3+ hours of rock star posing and a 10lb guitar makes my shoulders and neck crazy sore after playing that long.

As long as you disclose, “it’s heavy” that would be all the info I need to pass. My LPs are 8.6lbs, 8.75lbs and 9.2lbs. Love to get a lemon or tobacco burst R8 or R9 at or below 8.5 but that has been hard b/c every guitar I find I seem to have to dance around a bunch of emails to get basic info.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I am sure that if you weighed one and put "It's a 10 pound guitar," that you set yourself up for a response of "I weighed it and it's 10.5 pounds!"

That’s the first thought that went through my head. I have two scales here at home, and they do not read the exact same … which one is right? Are either right? Would either show the same weight as the scale you have at your home? There are people who get really hung up on specs … they could be certain that a 9.5lb guitar is the magic number, and while your scale shows 9.5lb, their scale shows 10lb, so now they initiate the stop payment / fraudulent scale / return process. Oh, and your account now has an asterisk next to it as a fraudulent seller with a sketchy history. F**k that.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s the first thought that went through my head. I have two scales here at home, and they do not read the exact same … which one is right? Are either right? Would either show the same weight as the scale you have at your home? There are people who get really hung up on specs … they could be certain that a 9.5lb guitar is the magic number, and while your scale shows 9.5lb, their scale shows 10lb, so now they initiate the stop payment / fraudulent scale / return process. Oh, and your account now has an asterisk next to it as a fraudulent seller with a sketchy history. F**k that.
Well that is the risk you take with every online sale, which is why the only thing I’ll sell online are pedals.

Not an issue for me since I am only looking at local in person Les Paul sales.

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Man, I'm with you on this. I have a back injury and an overly heavy guitar can be a deal breaker.

Dad had a '68 Les Paul Custom Tri burst reissue. It was sweet but it was too heavy to have on you for any length of time. It had be in the 10 pound range. It was also the brightest Les Paul I've ever heard...

I also owned a Gibson v2 from 1982. It was extremely heavy for a V. That really defeats the purpose of a V lol...

I'm still seeking out the right Les Paul. One that is somewhat light with the larger neck profile. The Les Paul Studio lites are excellent except for the slim taper neck that I couldn't get used to!

Latest posts