Please help me find this tone. Thanks!

Derrick111

Reaction score
As a fellow die-hard prescriptivist, allow me to provide you with reach-around you‘ll insist you don’t need but can use more than you think, because you my friend, are fucked now. :kiss:

For starters, the JCM 800 NMV Lead amp. I recalled the amp’s designation as a SLP amp. You insist otherwise. Without bothering to delve deeper to verify my assertion, I will gladly offer this: “If you insist that I am wrong in my recollection of the JCM’s ‘SLP’ designation, I will freely concede my mistake and say that I was wrong in declaring that.” (<- take close notes on that because believe me, we’ll be back here in a moment).

My biggest gripe are the Gibson V designations. The ‘67 Reissue series (’89-15’) offers an incorrect body, neck profile, and Vs never had a stoptail until 1971. Worse still is this fucking new “70s V,” which is literally a ’67 RI with bound board and painted HS face. It bears no resemblance with the Vs from the 1970s whatsoever and Gibson fucking knows it because they have been releasing exact-spec VOS Vs (1967 and 1970s) for years through the custom shop. I get the frustration, and I am quick to point out my discontent over these abominations, particularly when asked… and sometimes offered sans solicitation. Thus, I do sympathize with your sentiments at some point.

The difference between you and me however, is that while I will take issue with all such derogations as to why these are not actual or “true” spec guitars (an olive branch I offered you earlier, that you brushed aside) I don’t go off on the world that they are wrong when they correctly refer to that gear, inaptly-named by Gibson. You however insist on blathering on how everybody is wrong for their incorrect classification and take it out on them rather than take it up with Marshall. So, hats off to you for getting out of “check“ with the JCM shit only to checkmate your stubborn ass next move. Question, bud: did Marshall offer a post-JMP era 1959 the “SLP“ designation with a metal face and circuit that deviated from the 1960s circuit? Answer: you know good and well they fucking did, turning your pot-kettle “pseudo” argument right back in your face. Marshall has officially called what you refused to acknowledge as “plexi” Thus, you are wrong: Period.

Now for the shit show… that was a little levity as I tried to handle the situation lightly. But you insist on the arrogant route. What‘ the thread called again, “hey guys, can some arrogant ass give me his 16 cents on what ‘plexis’ really are?” I believe it was a tone question you chose to derail with your unsolicited bullshit making you, yes, YOU the shitshow here. Worse still, your unsolicited bullshit you beligerantly advance at EVERY turn Is wrong (and unless you can rebut my post-JMP “SLP” point, you can just take your shitshow INCORRECT nonsense to another thread and darken that one instead). So, from one prescriptivist to another (who regardless is wrong): Go get the fuck off the lawn!

Slow down drunken bar fight guy, it's just a forum discussing Marshall. You keep telling me I'm wrong but it's not my claim, hoss... You have to understand where the term came from in the first place. "Plexi" was coined by the older generation who wanted to refer to the mid/late 60s era Marshalls which they largely perceived as being different or special compared to later ones, and they used the plexiglass panel feature that coincided during that time period to denote them. To your other point, manufacturers may miss the mark when trying to market to consumer interests, but they were cashing in on the plexi term that was used for decades before that. Even Marshall themselves state (as I posted above) that this what a plexi is. Don't shoot the messenger... I was only sharing the historical use, and relaying what the manufacturer themselves say. But maybe you know more then the actual manufacturer, or are more important than the decades of people before you that decided what it meant?

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Slow down drunken bar fight guy, it's just a forum discussing Marshall. You keep telling me I'm wrong but it's not my claim, hoss...

Let me cue you over to the fine line of “I’m just bringing up the origins” and “I’m a belligerent twat.” That would be on pg 1 where you inserted yourself into the discussion… where your point was acknowledged by those well aware of your enlightened revelations. Instead, you take issue with virtually EVERY person on the matter for ALL 3 pages, so spare the thread your “woe is me” bullshit. You are a bitter curmudgeon on the matter (something I get) that took your BS too far as you felt the need to shit up this thread page after page with a vain attempt to correct others.

You have to understand where the term came from in the first place.

Um, no. *YOU* have to understand that you are not the “self-appointed MF sticky” to be inserted wherever the P-word is mentioned. 80% responding are well aware of the point you have made, evident by their response and yet you still couldn’t shut up w your hijack until you and your stupid argument got called out.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Exactly what I am saying. I m

That's exactly what I am saying. "1959" is a model - "plexi" refers to the era when the control panels were plexiglass. Capiche? Nobody who knows anything about Marshalls would call a metal panel Marshall made after summer 1969 a plexi. Noob mistake, mate.

Why did Marshall refer to the metal paneled YJM100 as the “Ultimate Plexi“? Noob mistake?

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
@Cal Nevari is probably the nicest and most polite member here.. how did this go down hill so fast?
If you read back over the comments, they are clearly spirited but in no way disrespectful or malicious. People might say “you’re wrong!” But they rarely say “you’re an idiot!” The subtle difference means everything. Posters might correct misconceptions or errors but they do not make ad hominem attacks on other posters. This makes the MF the best interactive place on the internet. Keep up the good work everyone!

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
@Cal Nevari is probably the nicest and most polite member here.. how did this go down hill so fast?
Hi everyone!

Inasmuch as I never expected my innocent post to stir up such ballyhoo, please find the following from the Marshall website regarding the SV20C, which I hope will add more light than heat to the debate about plexis. Incidentally, I'll be posting an NAD notice next week as I just got one for about $1100 ($1325 with tax and shipping) on Reverb. Anyway, here's the quote:

"The power of a Plexi in a new portable style. Now the legendary sound of the 1959SLP is yours for the taking, packaged in a 20W combo that you can enjoy at home or in the studio. It’s got the same vintage tones you know and love, just redesigned for the modern player.

Whether you’re looking for warm blues tones or punchy leads, the SV20C has all the same tonal options as the original 1959SLP. Choose between the high treble and normal channel, or find the perfect blend between the two using a patch cable. While its predecessor was built to get loud, the SV20C is equipped to handle those quieter environments with power reduction to 5W."

This suggests that the "Plexi" designation refers to the sound of a 1959SLP while the name comes from the faceplate. But what exactly is a 1959SLP? Here's more from the website...

"There's a lot that can be said about the 60's but there’s no denying that it was a decade that delivered some great amps. In over 50 years of Marshall, only a select handful of amps can come close to the legendary status of the ‘Plexi’ amplifiers. Their popularity and heritage have stood the test of time, which is why they are still replicated and produced today.

The journey to the ‘Plexi’ began when Pete Townshend was once more asking for a louder amplifier. The Marshall team delivered a prototype with four KT66 valves and two 50 watt transformers. It was immediately clear that the sonic range of this amp was different to anything that had come before it. By the time the first production models were developed in 1965, the 50 watt transformers were replaced with 100 watt output transformers. In 1967, the KT66 valves were replaced with EL34’s, now synonymous with traditional Marshall growl and bite.

The look and aesthetic of the ‘Plexi’ amplifiers are arguably one of the most defining features. The name originates from its shiny, Plexiglas panel, commonly used on Marshall amps between 1965-1969. Although many amps are referred to as ‘Plexi’s’ The 100 Watt Super Lead (model number 1959) is most commonly associated with the name.

Since its glory years, the ‘Plexi’ has been reintroduced as part of the Vintage Reissue series and also in the Handwired Series. We proudly built a replica so exact that its sonically impossible to tell the difference. To ensure modern versatility we also added a Series FX Loop with a True Bypass switch feature. The Vintage Reissue has done incredibly well and is favoured by Kevin Skaff from A Day To Remember, Dan and Justin Hawkins from The Darkness and many others.

Then 2019 was when the 1959SLP became tameable. The Studio Vintage recreated the 1959SLP in a 20W form. Portable and perfect for small gigs and rehearsals, the Studio Vintage is easy on the eyes and ears, stylistically modelled after the classic Plexi with all that classic tone to boot. We also released a 100W limited edition 1959HW Bernie Marsden signature amp too later that year."

So, in one of my more feeble attempts at peacekeeping, it sounds like the name "plexi" can be accurately applied to a wide range of amplifiers. I take comfort in knowing that if my assertion is incorrect, there might be one or two MFers who will be kind enough to point that out.

;^)

Either way, can't wait for the SV20C to arrive! Will send pictures...

All best,

Cal

V-man

Reaction score
PS: SLP stands for "shiny plexiglass panel." Who knew?
I’ll quote this above being the shorter one. The same shit can be done with Marshall’s MV MVP, the 2203. People can have a position/belief that the 2203 is “really“ the 1975-1984 JMP/JCM, or the 1975-1990 consecutive series, or even the ’75-90, plus the GC Limited RI in ‘97 as the “last real JCM 800,” etc. given the circuit changes in ‘84 with the VIs, the different parts with the 2203X/ZW/KK, the different parts/circuits/wattages of the JCM-1 or SC. There are valid points to discuss (at the right time and place), but when Marshall calls it a “2203“ or a “JCM800 amp” then it’s a fucking 2203/800-amp. One can only argue ”better-sounding” or “true/OG version,” but that’s as far as one can push it.

As for the “Plexi,” it’s even muddier and more absurd. JTM, 1987, 1959, 1974 and other amps were made in the plexiglass era, and plexiglass panels appeared on amps post-PG period (to 1973) due to Marshall being “cheap, utilitarian ‘waste not/want not‘ inconsistent-ass“ Marshall. In honesty, Plexi is as much a form of art as it is one of vague stupidity coined by players. That said, the post below best encapsulates what it’s supposedly about IMO:

Plexi tone = Superlead tone, all day long. Yes, that's the common way of saying it. Yes, there were circuit changes to the 1959 circuit that did change the tone, starting around 1971, but let's be reasonable here. Superlead tone and plexi tone are two ways of saying the same thing, generally speaking. This is rock and roll, not a cork sniffing and wine tasting party.

It's a cranked 100 watt Superlead and that's good. Don't sweat the nuances. They're drowned out by the incredible amount of sound coming out of the speaker cabinets.

Yes, my '69 Plexi and my '73 Superlead are both 1959s and they have slightly different circuits and they sound kind of different. But not so different that you'd think one sounds like a Plexi and the other doesn't.

When Marshall went away from plexi (actually polycarbonate) panels in mid 1969 and switched to aluminum, they didn't make any circuit changes to go along with it. So....it's the same circuit, it's the same amp.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
I’ll quote this above being the shorter one. The same shit can be done with Marshall’s MV MVP, the 2203. People can have a position/belief that the 2203 is “really“ the 1975-1984 JMP/JCM, or the 1975-1990 consecutive series, or even the ’75-90, plus the GC Limited RI in ‘97 as the “last real JCM 800,” etc. given the circuit changes in ‘84 with the VIs, the different parts with the 2203X/ZW/KK, the different parts/circuits/wattages of the JCM-1 or SC. There are valid points to discuss (at the right time and place), but when Marshall calls it a “2203“ or a “JCM800 amp” then it’s a fucking 2203/800-amp. One can only argue ”better-sounding” or “true/OG version,” but that’s as far as one can push it.

As for the “Plexi,” it’s even muddier and more absurd. JTM, 1987, 1959, 1974 and other amps were made in the plexiglass era, and plexiglass panels appeared on amps post-PG period (to 1973) due to Marshall being “cheap, utilitarian ‘waste not/want not‘ inconsistent-ass“ Marshall. In honesty, Plexi is as much a form of art as it is one of vague stupidity coined by players. That said, the post below best encapsulates what it’s supposedly about IMO:
Well said!

Derrick111

Reaction score
Well, two people were having a debate who handled it quite well, until a Karen (or more accurately, a Ken) butt in feeling the need to be MF police, getting loud and puffing up chest. I have zero problem with @TheSaz .

View attachment 116482

4hole, no master, superlead... a plexi.

What do yo think that the very first knob is in that photo? That ain't no plexi either way. Now I know why everybody wants so much for everything these days... Apparently everybody has a plexi now. Society has declined with supercomputers in their pockets.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Been enjoying this spirited discussion but wanted to let you know that Tuesday was NAD for me. Just received an SV20C in mint condition and gosh does it sound good! Louder than a supernova, I have to keep the Normal channel Loudness at about one-half (not half way up, one-half as in between 0 and 1) to keep the level manageable. I can't even engage the High Treble Loudness and play without earplugs. So, it's loud! Some folks have mentioned attenuators. Does this go in the effects loop?

Anyway, it's the tone that matters and it sounds amazing. Marshall claims this produces the vaunted "plexi" sound in a portable amp. I suspect some might disagree. Either way, it sounds like no other amp I've ever played. Difficult to get a really clean sound, but I doubt that's what many people are aiming for with this amp. And anyway, my Origin 20C does a nice clean sound. Speaking of which, both the SV and the Origin have a more organic quality to them than the DSL40CR, which sounds bright and artificial, although one can still get pretty nice tone from it. Any favorite settings advice for the SV would be most appreciated.

Ideas about the plexi sound and how best to use it would also be greatly appreciated. Incidentally, the original thread asked about a certain guitar tone and the SV definitely reproduces that tone fairly faithfully. My plan is to use a stereo feed to the SV and the Origin from my pedal board, which ends in a stereo Boss Tera Echo, its stereo inputs being fed from the stereo outputs of my Boss Waza Chorus. We've got a show coming up on November 5 (Guy Fawkes Day or Bonfire Night for those in Great Britain) so I'll let you all know how it goes.

Thanks everyone!

Cal

Latest posts