Playing near Niagara Falls USA then crossing the border to stay in Canada next weekend....take guitars or no?

flyinguitars

Reaction score
So my band is playing a few minutes away from Niagara falls next weekend. Great venue, always a super fun gig, good pay...all of the good things that I love about playing live, except it's a long 7 hour ride.
Normally my wife stays home, but I got the bright idea of booking a night at the falls on the Canadian side and spending a day with her doing some sightseeing the next day. We haven't been to Niagara together for about 10 years, so it should be a fun excursion.
So, now I'm thinking about logistics and what and how I should cross over to Canada and back to the US a day later. Typically I drive a Durango and tow a 17' enclosed trailer with all of the gear and I load the Durango with our guitars. My son plays in the band too and we usually bring 4-8 guitars between us (backup, d-tuned, acoustic). So since I'm staying on after the show, we were thinking about ditching the huge stage set-up of 3 full stacks per side and cutting back to a half stack each and two guitars each and leave the trailer home and take two cars. My wife and I in my car with 2 guitars and amp and my son will drive his car with his guitars and amp..
So that means I'd be stuck crossing the border both ways with a couple guitars and amp in my car. Have any of you crossed back and forth similarly? I'm thinking maybe it's best to make arrangements to stash my gear at the venue or someplace on the US side for 24 hours. Any suggestions?

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
So my band is playing a few minutes away from Niagara falls next weekend. Great venue, always a super fun gig, good pay...all of the good things that I love about playing live, except it's a long 7 hour ride.
Normally my wife stays home, but I got the bright idea of booking a night at the falls on the Canadian side and spending a day with her doing some sightseeing the next day. We haven't been to Niagara together for about 10 years, so it should be a fun excursion.
So, now I'm thinking about logistics and what and how I should cross over to Canada and back to the US a day later. Typically I drive a Durango and tow a 17' enclosed trailer with all of the gear and I load the Durango with our guitars. My son plays in the band too and we usually bring 4-8 guitars between us (backup, d-tuned, acoustic). So since I'm staying on after the show, we were thinking about ditching the huge stage set-up of 3 full stacks per side and cutting back to a half stack each and two guitars each and leave the trailer home and take two cars. My wife and I in my car with 2 guitars and amp and my son will drive his car with his guitars and amp..
So that means I'd be stuck crossing the border both ways with a couple guitars and amp in my car. Have any of you crossed back and forth similarly? I'm thinking maybe it's best to make arrangements to stash my gear at the venue or someplace on the US side for 24 hours. Any suggestions?
Don’t think you would have any problems going with all of your stuff back and forth but it sounds like a hassle. Probably best just to take the usual full rig and then store it on the US side somewhere and take one car without any gear across. You will need to sign up for Entry Canada if you haven’t done so already.

aikiguy

Reaction score
I live in Canada and I’ve crossed from Canada to the US To play. I was required to register the stuff I was taking across into the US, guitars, amp, speakers, whatever else. I later learned from a border guard that if I had the original receipts, it I wouldn’t have needed to register the stuff At all

All that being said, I have it my head that the real concern is when people (from Canada) go south and buy guitars, but maybe don’t want to claim them to avoid paying duty on the item. It’s really more about the economy than anything.

If I were you, I would take a time stamped video of you holding each guitar, and then go ahead and cross. I really can’t imagine it turning into an issue for you, and if it does turn into an issue, you can just show the video to prove it you already owned them.

Good luck….

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Thanks for the info and suggestions.
The more I think about it, the less I want to take any gear across.
I'm going to check with the venue about keeping some things there or even rent a small storage locker on the US side for a day...or maybe pull the trailer up and unhitch and leave it at the venue. I have multiple tracking devices in it so leaving it somewhere safe shouldn't be an issue

Reaction score
If you have a place to store them while you are traveling, then I would store 'em.
Rene

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Canadians don't care about guitars and amps
However, they do care about you Americans bringing guns and ammo ........
If you're goin for a gig , just have your gig paperwork ready , that saves a LOTTA hassle
And as someone said , there's a phone app entry process you're expected to complete before ya go over there

chocol8

Reaction score
I would not bring the stuff if it is going to sit in an unattended car. Better to be locked in the trailer, with locked in a storage unit better still.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
Just make sure you don't take anything with Brazilian rosewood or ivory components (like nuts) and you should be OK.

Personally, I would be leery about taking more gear abroad than I could carry in my hands.