[Pickups] Seymour Duncan Antiquity for Stratocaster (and in a Marshall Amp) - Opinions??

MoonKnighter

Reaction score
In two of my (... maybe too many) Stratocasters (SSS) I have respectively mounted a Seymour Duncan Antiquity Surfer SSS set and a Seymour Duncan Antiquity Texas Hot.
The differences seem obvious to me, but I would like to know the different experiences of those of you who have mounted and played them on a Strat ... and obviously with a Marshall.
Thank you in advance :)

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The surfer set is brighter but so much depends on the guitar it really boils down to whether it works in that wood thru your rig or not. Frustrating but there is really no ‘right’ pickup for every guitar, never mind adding amp/speaker setup into the mix.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
To me it's all about eq'ing it till it's right to your ears. P/U's DO make a big difference though, but when it comes to high quality p/u's like you mentioned it's more about the eq on the amp after that, IME.

YMMV

junk notes

Reaction score
I think the Seymour Duncan Antiquity for Stratocaster's are just as good as anything else in that range.
With the addition of the SV, I am going through a trial and error period of what my options are for optimal Stratocaster-into-a-Marshall tone. Various dedicated vintage cabs, and are equipped with either GB, BB, 65, and 75 Celestion's.
The main issue I am targeting are the unwanted highs on the top. Right now I am going through several preamp (circuit) pedals trying to get the tone right, but what comes into play for me, are the voltages. (OD's sound great with an 800, but preamps are glorious with Plexi's.)
It appears that I cannot achieve what I am looking for without running the amp at far less voltages than 120v off the wall. I am finding out that my Strat/SV operating range is roughly 95v -105v. Then I can start re-adjusting the tone knobs.
Nice that it is a self biasing head, and that there is no other tweaking necessary to the amp.
It is hard enough matching up SSS pickups with a balanced, and having a stratty sounding set.

MoonKnighter

Reaction score
I think the Seymour Duncan Antiquity for Stratocaster's are just as good as anything else in that range.
With the addition of the SV, I am going through a trial and error period of what my options are for optimal Stratocaster-into-a-Marshall tone. Various dedicated vintage cabs, and are equipped with either GB, BB, 65, and 75 Celestion's.
The main issue I am targeting are the unwanted highs on the top. Right now I am going through several preamp (circuit) pedals trying to get the tone right, but what comes into play for me, are the voltages. (OD's sound great with an 800, but preamps are glorious with Plexi's.)
It appears that I cannot achieve what I am looking for without running the amp at far less voltages than 120v off the wall. I am finding out that my Strat/SV operating range is roughly 95v -105v. Then I can start re-adjusting the tone knobs.
Nice that it is a self biasing head, and that there is no other tweaking necessary to the amp.
It is hard enough matching up SSS pickups with a balanced, and having a stratty sounding set.

interesting experience what you tell me ... I never thought about it, or at least, here in Europe / Italy the question of voltage (which I imagine refers to the fundamental experience of Van Halen) is not so discussed .... however .. . you intrigued me.

Well, at this point - reading your observations - I know that it is not the case to open another Topic on the Seymour Duncan SSL5 / 6 (which I have in another layer) ... right? ROFL :fingersx:
:bump:

Latest posts