Pete Thorn Video on Bright Caps in Marshalls

El Gringo

Reaction score
I like a mid range kind of flavor for tone . I do agree with Ricksconnected that you can change the cap or use a EQ pedal and get to the same tone avenue . For what I do as I said that I like the mid range flavor and one of the big reasons I love the 2555X's so much along with the V30's in the cabs is that if I need more treble I will just use more volume on the amps and for me I get there . I know some/many will probably disagree with me , but this has worked for me since switching from the King and Queen of clean (Fender ) amps .

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
While we are on this topic , What is your amp of choice ? You mentioned the Friedman ? If I never got my boxes of knobs I could see myself with Soldano SLO 100 , or Friedman as they have that high gain flavor that I love . How about you ? Are you mainly a single coil flavored guitar fan ? You know me as I am biased with the humbucker Les Paul's .
Friedman would be the cats ass but honestly, probably some type of old fender
might be the ticket. Dual reverb, princeton? im easy.
they take pedals better than any amp out there. they do the mid gain thing very well.
LP's sound amazing through them too. i mean if im being practical and portable
at the same time. yes the SLO is very nice. if anybody questions that they need to
hear one of DerekS's tracks. the Suhr PT 100 is a damn fine amp as well that
i find unbeatable at anything too. few amps in my book set on that TOP shelf like that.

El Gringo

Reaction score
they go hand in hand. half of us would have never started guitar if we didnt
think it would bring in the chics.
Darn rooting tooting right BIG TIME ! This is an example why I love the Marshall Forum so much , as it's not stuffy and choking you out with a million rules and regulations , and we can enjoy what we like .Other forums are like sticks in the mud and like having the headmaster at school chasing you around for a myriad number of reasons . Big plus for our Forum is that there are a lot of most knowledgeable folks that so graciously share the info , knowledge and wisdom and I am that much more informed and blessed by all the wonderful fine folks on the Marshall Forum . At the end of the day while still discussing our favorite pastimes (making music ) we still have fun and don't get bogged down with nonsense . Thank You Most Kindly to Everyone for all of the kind help I have received here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

El Gringo

Reaction score
Friedman would be the cats ass but honestly, probably some type of old fender
might be the ticket. Dual reverb, princeton? im easy.
they take pedals better than any amp out there. they do the mid gain thing very well.
LP's sound amazing through them too. i mean if im being practical and portable
at the same time. yes the SLO is very nice. if anybody questions that they need to
hear one of DerekS's tracks. the Suhr PT 100 is a damn fine amp as well that
i find unbeatable at anything too. few amps in my book set on that TOP shelf like that.
From my Fender amp days that is one thing I know only all to well of how great Fender amps take pedals 1000% . LP's do sound good thru Fender amps . I am kind of spoiled as far as the Soldano SLO 100 amps go , not that I ever used them , but from having seen Eric Clapton a lot in the early to later 90's before he switched to Fender Tweed modern customized amps . Also this was using his signature Stratocasters with first the Fender branded Lace Sensors , and then with the Fender Noiseless Pickups . Good stuff for sure .

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
From my Fender amp days that is one thing I know only all to well of how great Fender amps take pedals 1000% . LP's do sound good thru Fender amps . I am kind of spoiled as far as the Soldano SLO 100 amps go , not that I ever used them , but from having seen Eric Clapton a lot in the early to later 90's before he switched to Fender Tweed modern customized amps . Also this was using his signature Stratocasters with first the Fender branded Lace Sensors , and then with the Fender Noiseless Pickups . Good stuff for sure .
yeah i remember the love/hate for those noiseless when they came out.
we hit the stores looking for that clapton guitar as soon as Guitar for the practicing musician (i believe it was)
anounced the pups. it was cool but didnt really matter in the end because buckers is where it was at for
most of us, but the old school cats sure loved them.

EC Strat

Reaction score
Great video!
I clipped the bright cap on my SV20, because I can get better edge of breakup tones on channel 1 without it. That’s where my bread and butter is for the kind of Americana and jump blues styles I like.

I don’t like the channels jumped much, but there are some cool sounds there with the 4700 cap. I just find it kind of scooped and phasey, and I miss the bass roll off when I have the normal channel up.

Eventually, I’ll be adding a switch to do 100pf / no cap / 4700pf
That is perhaps the brightest amp ever made

EC Strat

Reaction score
That’s by the best explanation I’ve seen on how those caps work.

I put a 100 pf on my JTM 45 RI and it made a huge difference in a good way. Removed that metallic sound to the trebles

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Pete Thorn just put out a video on bright caps in Marshall amps (and yes, he does use his Suhr 4-hole amp for part of the discussion). He gets such great tone. I always learn something from him.

Pretty much in line with I've always thought about bright caps, better to change the value than remove them altogether.

Last edited:

nickfox

Reaction score
I found this page which shows the history of early Marshall amp parts. If you look in the table, there is a column called "Volume Pot Cap". It's the sixth from the right.

Is this another name for the bright cap?

There's a lot of variation in that cap value...

On the marstran website:

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
yeah i remember the love/hate for those noiseless when they came out.
we hit the stores looking for that clapton guitar as soon as Guitar for the practicing musician (i believe it was)
anounced the pups. it was cool but didnt really matter in the end because buckers is where it was at for
most of us, but the old school cats sure loved them.
I have told this before about the Fender Branded Lace Sensor Pickups . I got them in 1993 (3 gold , and one red which is really hot and to me sounds like a humbucker on steroids ) I had them in a Stratocaster (Alder ) and they sounded killer . So Last Year I got a new set which red- bridge -hot humbucker , silver -neck which is like a 70's single coil Strat sound , Blue -neck which is like a humbucker sound .They suck and sound worse that dog poop and they are so sterile and devoid of any signs of life .This set is Lace Sensor branded and there is a night and day difference from the Fender Branded Lace Sensors . I still have my Fender Lace Sensor branded pickups but they are buried home some where home and some day I will find them . I actually know exactly where they are but I would need a back hoe to dig them out and I will stumble across sometime when I don't want them and I am looking for something else . So for this Fender Stratocaster I will be installing a set of active Fishman Fluence single coil active pickups which will require 2 push pull pots which I have and the battery charger back plate which I have . They are billed as having a really hot Texas Special flavor and I hope will work better with the Boxes of knobs . That's my hope anyway .

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I have told this before about the Fender Branded Lace Sensor Pickups . I got them in 1993 (3 gold , and one red which is really hot and to me sounds like a humbucker on steroids ) I had them in a Stratocaster (Alder ) and they sounded killer . So Last Year I got a new set which red- bridge -hot humbucker , silver -neck which is like a 70's single coil Strat sound , Blue -neck which is like a humbucker sound .They suck and sound worse that dog poop and they are so sterile and devoid of any signs of life .This set is Lace Sensor branded and there is a night and day difference from the Fender Branded Lace Sensors . I still have my Fender Lace Sensor branded pickups but they are buried home some where home and some day I will find them . I actually know exactly where they are but I would need a back hoe to dig them out and I will stumble across sometime when I don't want them and I am looking for something else . So for this Fender Stratocaster I will be installing a set of active Fishman Fluence single coil active pickups which will require 2 push pull pots which I have and the battery charger back plate which I have . They are billed as having a really hot Texas Special flavor and I hope will work better with the Boxes of knobs . That's my hope anyway .
battery charger back plate?

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Great demonstration. I prefer no cap with the treble & presence up. I don't like thin/bright Marshalls.