Pawn Shop Tele

Harbard

Reaction score
So what do you think? Looks nice & feels great but I'm not current with Fender stuff. I think it's legit but know them Chinese folks work a lot of overtime. I do appreciate any input.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    427 KB · Views: 51
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 47
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    384.6 KB · Views: 43

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
To me it looks more like a kit that somebody put Fender decals on or maybe a fender neck on a replacement body, but I could definitely be wrong. If you remove the neck and see if there's any markings in the neck pocket and on the neck heel that might tell you something. Anyway, congrats on the new Tele!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
To me it looks more like a kit that somebody put Fender decals on or maybe a fender neck on a replacement body, but I could definitely be wrong. If you remove the neck and see if there's any markings in the neck pocket and on the neck heel that might tell you something. Anyway, congrats on the new Tele!
i would take steves thought any day on tele stuff. i thought kit too steve.
or a parts tele of sorts.
any price on this tele?

Harbard

Reaction score
Didn't buy it but could. Don't know how I'd check the neck pocket w/o buying it.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Didn't buy it but could. Don't know how I'd check the neck pocket w/o buying it.
You could take a gamble. Walk in there and point out that it's not a Custom Shop and since you have no way of knowing what it actually is, you could offer them $350. You may get it home and take it apart and be either: disappointed, expectations met or pleasantly surprised.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
That is too cheap to be a Fender Custom Shop. While it looks kind of wrong, pictures can be deceptive and I really can't tell. No S/N with a Custom Shop one off may well be a thing. But the price is the clincher...it's too good to be true.

El Gringo

Reaction score
My 2 cents for what it's worth . What first struck out at me was the Fender Telecaster decal on the front of the headstock as the Telecaster part of the sticker looks off . Then the Fender Custom sticker on the back looks off as the limited edition part of the sticker looks off the way it curves downward , where the Fender Custom part of the decal sticker looks ok . My guess leans towards overseas from China . I do like the figured maple top on top of what looks like an ash body which is weirdly lacquer tinted on the back as the 1/3 looks lighter tint , where 2/3 looks darker tinted . Another tell is the neck backplate being plain . There are a lot of things that look really good about this build that I like . Stupid stickers give it away , which are so easy to find over here in the states which you can't throw a rock and hit a sheet of them from over 35 years ago at least . The other thing that also gives it away is the lack of # numbers as others before me have mentioned . Over all it's a very nice looking Telecaster and I have to say that I like it's looks , except for the stupid stickers . I am curious as to how it plays and sounds , if this Tele stays in tune it sure could be a winner . Not so crazy about the pickups or the bridge , as at first glance I thought I would see some kind of Floyd or something with a whammy bar .

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wouldn't a Custom Shop have centre-joined, or symetrically-joined, wooden pieces in the body? Looking from behind, this Tele looks like my cheap build kit.

Also, who is the 2 year old that decorated the top with a black marker?

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Look at the string ferrules on the back of the guitar. They are not positioned on a straight line (unless it's an effect in the photo). Cavity cover plate looks very cheap.

Does not look premium at all.

DirtySteve

VIP Member
Reaction score
Also the neck looks like it's not aligned properly and doesn't look like it fits the pocket exactly. The more I look at the photos the more convinced I am that this is a parts build by someone that didn't really know what they were doing.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also the neck looks like it's not aligned properly and doesn't look like it fits the pocket exactly. The more I look at the photos the more convinced I am that this is a parts build by someone that didn't really know what they were doing.
Yeah, it's way off. High e string much closer to fret board edge then the low E string at the pocket (unless photos taken at an angle). Neck pickup doesn't seem to match strings either.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Wouldn't a Custom Shop have centre-joined, or symetrically-joined, wooden pieces in the body? Looking from behind, this Tele looks like my cheap build kit.

Also, who is the 2 year old that decorated the top with a black marker?
I believe that Fender Custom uses higher grade lumber and this is another "tell" sign . The magic marker work is a swing and a miss strike .

Latest posts