Pairing 96 dB and 98 dB speakers?

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are these speakers close enough, in sensitivity, to pair in a horizontal 2x12 cab?
  • Celestion G12M-25 Greenback, 98 dB
  • Celestion G12 EVH, 96 dB

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
The EVH greenbacks are louder than the specs indicate, because they have less going on where it is measured, than the standard green back reissue. They are less loud, but the standard greenback RI will not dominate them too much.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The EVH greenbacks are louder than the specs indicate, because they have less going on where it is measured, than the standard green back reissue. They are less loud, but the standard greenback RI will not dominate them too much.

I've paired a 100db H with a 96db M. The difference in volume is less noticeable with the amp at band volume. I could still hear the M's effect on things.

Thanks for the input! My reason for asking is that demos and comments I found point in different directions, so I cannot make up my mind on one type or the other. Some comments seem to indicate a mix of both could be a good thing, but I couldn't find out if the mixes were in vertical cabs with one on top of the other.

I might go for a mix, at first.

Last edited:

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Thanks for the input! My reason for asking is that demos and commetns I found point in different direction, so I cannot make up my mind on one type or the other. Some comments seem to indicate a mix of both could be a good thing, but I couldn't find out if the mixes were in vertical cabs with one on top of the other.

I might go for a mix, at first.
I have two standard G12m's and two EVH G12M's in my 4x12. I don't find that the standard G12Ms dominate. I had all 4 of the standard G12Ms in it before but I decided to put my two EVHs in the 4x12, because I think that G12Ms generally need to be in a large closed back cab. The 4x12 is not quite as loud as it was with all standard G12ms, however, it is warmer and fatter. I run my JTM45 though it because the JTM45 sounds particularly epic through it , but I prefer V30's with most of my other Marshalls.

playloud

Reaction score
I don't know if it helps, but here they are on the same axis, plus a graph of the difference:

Key thing to note is that the G12M dominates the all-important mid range.

jeffb

Reaction score
Been running that combo for many years.

I feel it works great because you get a little bit of the thickness from the EVH with some of the top end and crunchier sound of the M25RI. I like it better than a pair of each.

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
They are similar with the EVH having a little less dB in the mids and uppers while giving a bit more dB in the very low end.

I don't know if it helps, but here they are on the same axis, plus a graph of the difference:
Thanks! The engineer inside me always wants to understand why, so this is helpful.

Thanks all for your input! I've now ordered one of each G12M-25 GB 16 Ohm and G12 EVH 15 Ohm for my cab build. Might buy one more of each later on, to compare.

Latest posts