Overdrive Pedal Shootout through a Bugera T5

Riffraff

Reaction score
Before you :io:check the video out because this thing doesn't sound like you think it will. It will surprise you.

A few years ago my wife bought me a Bugera Infinium T5 head. She was doing a little Christmas shopping for me and buying a pedal I was interested in and spotted this advertised in one of those short blowout sales and added it to her order. I didn't really know what to make of it but kept an open mind and fired it up. It was HORRIBLE with it's stock tubes so I swapped those and was really surprised at what a difference they made. You can really hear the difference tube changes make when an amp has a single 12AX7 and single power tube in it. :D I also tried it with a fuzz pedal and my trusty SD-1 and got it sounding good. I posted a couple of videos of it with the fuzz & the SD-1 not thinking much about it. For some crazy reason I get a lot of traffic & comments on my Youtube page on the booger vids I posted. Who knew there would be so many people using those? A recent comment included a few questions from a guy who wanted to run his through his DAW. We talked back & forth a bit about how he should hook it up. That got me thinking I haven't used mine in a long time and I should break it out of the closet.

I decided try it with a few different OD pedals to find out which one I like best and figured I could make a little pedal shootout vid of it. Here's a video I slapped together with a few overdrive pedals I like. I could have included a bunch more and gone a lot deeper but I'm not Pete Thorn and I presently don't have a lot of time for this type of shenanigans so I just picked the 4 OD pedals I use most often and recorded each.

The first part is lead tones in a mix. I started with this because it's the most fun for me, LOL! :shred2: :rofl:

Next comes the same pedals in the same settings but I rolled my guitar's volume down to 3 to demonstrate how they clean up. The amp is cranked to 10 and I had my Soul Food set a bit hotter than I normally run it so that one comes off a little fizzy in that section. It's actually a lot better then that, especially if you keep it's gain control at 5 or less when you roll back to clean up.

Last I played through all pedals one at a time with the backer off so you can hear how the amp sounds with each pedal. No knob twisting in any of this.

Guitar

z62BYlm.png

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
Before you :io:check the video out because this thing doesn't sound like you think it will. It will surprise you.

A few years ago my wife bought me a Bugera Infinium T5 head. She was doing a little Christmas shopping for me and buying a pedal I was interested in and spotted this advertised in one of those short blowout sales and added it to her order. I didn't really know what to make of it but kept an open mind and fired it up. It was HORRIBLE with it's stock tubes so I swapped those and was really surprised at what a difference they made. You can really hear the difference tube changes make when an amp has a single 12AX7 and single power tube in it. :D I also tried it with a fuzz pedal and my trusty SD-1 and got it sounding good. I posted a couple of videos of it with the fuzz & the SD-1 not thinking much about it. For some crazy reason I get a lot of traffic & comments on my Youtube page on the booger vids I posted. Who knew there would be so many people using those? A recent comment included a few questions from a guy who wanted to run his through his DAW. We talked back & forth a bit about how he should hook it up. That got me thinking I haven't used mine in a long time and I should break it out of the closet.

I decided try it with a few different OD pedals to find out which one I like best and figured I could make a little pedal shootout vid of it. Here's a video I slapped together with a few overdrive pedals I like. I could have included a bunch more and gone a lot deeper but I'm not Pete Thorn and I presently don't have a lot of time for this type of shenanigans so I just picked the 4 OD pedals I use most often and recorded each.

The first part is lead tones in a mix. I started with this because it's the most fun for me, LOL! :shred2: :rofl:

Next comes the same pedals in the same settings but I rolled my guitar's volume down to 3 to demonstrate how they clean up. The amp is cranked to 10 and I had my Soul Food set a bit hotter than I normally run it so that one comes off a little fizzy in that section. It's actually a lot better then that, especially if you keep it's gain control at 5 or less when you roll back to clean up.

Last I played through all pedals one at a time with the backer off so you can hear how the amp sounds with each pedal. No knob twisting in any of this.

Guitar

z62BYlm.png

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
cool video. i wanna swap tubes on my rebel 20 just to see how it does.
a lot of pedal videos are showing up on here like this lately.
im really starting to think that it doesnt really matter as much as it use to
the drive pedal you choose when recording. through the mix one can
make it sound like anything they want to now. just get the dirt and it
can be colored any way you want after that. i watch a lot of these type videos
on youtube as well and my opinion just seems to ring true there too.
hell who knows maybe im wrong.

one of the channels ive watch for some time the guitar player uses BlackStar amps.
some of the best damn recorded tones ive ever heard. yet the puplic seems to hate them
and say they sound gawd-awful. what do you think riff am i off base here?
if anybody would know its gonna be you. youve recorded some fantastic videos
and showed them to us time and again. you do great work man. oh and love that tele too.

Riffraff

Reaction score
Thanks brudda. :cheers:

Have you ever run a cranked tube amp into an attenuator and used it's line out to run the signal into another power amp so you had full volume control of that cranked amp sound? I used to own a '93 1959SLP and used a Hot Plate to do that. The '93 didn't have an efx loop so I ran the line out through an Ibanez DE7 delay then into a MosValve 1160 power amp to power my 412 in stereo. Later I tried that with some small vintage amps and discovered it made them sound different. They sound bigger & better run that way. You're right to some degree about the pedals. Most of us set the amps on the edge of breakup and use the OD pedals to push them over the top. By the time you factor in all the processing that's going on the pedal that pushed the amp over the top hardly makes a difference. I suppose it would of you ran the amp clean and used the pedal for all of the dirt but I usually don't do that. That can be cool though. A guy I know on another forum just recorded a cool tune Running a fuzz into a PS100. No preamp involved at all. It was the coolest doom video I've seen and heard in a long time.

Running my amps into a Mass 100 so I can run the line out into my DAW is a lot like that only I'm using cab IR's instead of a cab and a free plug-in called Valhalla Supermassive for delay & reverb. I don't EQ my recording in the way you might imagine. I use my cab IR choices to influence the tone of the track. Two-Notes Torpedo Wall of Sound gives you a lot of tools to get things sounding good and you can save your settings so you have presets. I've done that with a variety of 412 & 112 combinations, typically with greenback & V30 blends. I use the room reverb controls to help the IR's breath a little so they sound more real.

Like my old school reamping rig the DAW can make amps sound bigger and more badass than they normally do. The T5 and the Tweaker 15 recordings are good examples of how you can use almost any amp to make interesting recordings but we already knew this. Page, Perry, Gibbons and countless other guitar heroes of ours told us this year's ago.

Last edited:

ampeq

Reaction score
cool video. i wanna swap tubes on my rebel 20 just to see how it does.
a lot of pedal videos are showing up on here like this lately.
im really starting to think that it doesnt really matter as much as it use to
the drive pedal you choose when recording. through the mix one can
make it sound like anything they want to now. just get the dirt and it
can be colored any way you want after that. i watch a lot of these type videos
on youtube as well and my opinion just seems to ring true there too.
hell who knows maybe im wrong.

one of the channels ive watch for some time the guitar player uses BlackStar amps.
some of the best damn recorded tones ive ever heard. yet the puplic seems to hate them
and say they sound gawd-awful. what do you think riff am i off base here?
if anybody would know its gonna be you. youve recorded some fantastic videos
and showed them to us time and again. you do great work man. oh and love that tele too.
I have no idea what I’m even looking at anymore on this forum. Another fine UP grade.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

Guitar

z62BYlm.png

Well done.