One of those great days! 1971 Super Tremelo and Super Lead

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
You ALWAYS request up front that the person working on your amp provide any parts they replace (otherwise they toss them and it's too late). This keeps things honest, and you have the option of putting it back if you want or the next owner might want to. I have done this with car repair as well when I was questioning the facility.

I love Marshall tremolo amps! Eagle eyed fans will notice that legends Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Townshend all used Marshall tremolo amps in their hay day. Some aren't fans of the tremolo compared to Fender or some pedals, but the legends mentioned didn't build their status and fame on that effect anyways...

View attachment 117928
For the reasons mentioned I jumped at the opportunity to get the Super Tremolo. I have been watching Super Tremolo’s go for around 5k lately and the amps I bought were 2k each plus $500 for the cab. That’s why I left immediately to pick these up, rather than waiting for a better drive in the morning. I love that image you posted!

Derrick111

Reaction score
For the reasons mentioned I jumped at the opportunity to get the Super Tremolo. I have been watching Super Tremolo’s go for around 5k lately and the amps I bought were 2k each plus $500 for the cab. That’s why I left immediately to pick these up, rather than waiting for a better drive in the morning. I love that image you posted!

Wow, are they selling for $5K or just being asked for that much? If selling for that... I know prices have gotten stupid, but I had no idea an early metal panel ST is selling for $5K! That was mint late 60s plexi pricing only a few years ago. What's an early '70 or 71 Superlead going for these days?

playloud

Reaction score
Wow, are they selling for $5K or just being asked for that much? If selling for that... I know prices have gotten stupid, but I had no idea an early metal panel ST is selling for $5K! That was mint late 60s plexi pricing only a few years ago. What's an early '70 or 71 Superlead going for these days?

I don't think they're actually selling for that much, but @Garth Rocket definitely got a great deal on that ST! And the cab. Overall, quite the package!

Derrick111

Reaction score
I don't think they're actually selling for that much, but @Garth Rocket definitely got a great deal on that ST! And the cab. Overall, quite the package!
Now I'm curious what 70/71 Superleads and Supertremolos are going for in good condition lately. Or mid 70s PC Superleads now... Jeez.

TAZIN

Reaction score
Please, let’s have the low down! The suspense is killing me. The Super Lead in particular looks messed with.
As neikeel pointed out back on post #34; the Super Tremolo is mostly original. Someone changed the bright channel's volume pot bypass cap from a 0.005uF to a lower picofarad (100 - 500pF) range. Additionally, there's a piggy-back resistor installed over the 82K plate resistor for the phase Inverter (V4).

Not sure what's up with the first 10K/1w B+ dropping resistor since it appears rather discolored...I would definitely check that out.

The 1K/5w resistors on the octal sockets have been replaced and someone added 1-ohm resistor to the sockets in order to do bias adjustment at idle.

The mains power cable has been replaced with a proper 3-conductor cable yet they didn't attach the ground wire to the chassis.

The Indicator light has been replaced.

Both fuse holders appear to be replacements.

The Mains Selector & the Impedance/Ohms Selector switches are replacements.

Both front panel switches have been replaced.

Some of the mounting hardware (nuts & screws) has been replaced (filter cap clamps, PT fasteners).

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
As neikeel pointed out back on post #34; the Super Tremolo is mostly original. Someone changed the bright channel's volume pot bypass cap from a 0.005uF to a lower picofarad (100 - 500pF) range. Additionally, there's a piggy-back resistor installed over the 82K plate resistor for the phase Inverter (V4).

Not sure what's up with the first 10K/1w B+ dropping resistor since it appears rather discolored...I would definitely check that out.

The 1K/5w resistors on the octal sockets have been replaced and someone added 1-ohm resistor to the sockets in order to do bias adjustment at idle.

The mains power cable has been replaced with a proper 3-conductor cable yet they didn't attach the ground wire to the chassis.

The Indicator light has been replaced.

Both fuse holders appear to be replacements.

The Mains Selector & the Impedance/Ohms Selector switches are replacements.

Both front panel switches have been replaced.

Some of the mounting hardware (nuts & screws) has been replaced (filter cap clamps, PT fasteners).
I wish I could my head around the electronics like you guys can! I’m very impressed with the knowledge on this forum. Neikeel helped me out on a Super Bass refurbishing big time in the past. I had an inexpensive tech do everything he said after I sourced parts from all over the world. Once that was done. The amp worked but wasn’t as loud as it should have been. Then I took it to the pricey tech and he dialed in for a $100 and the amp was killer!

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
I figure ball park on the early 70’s hand wired Super leads is around 3k, but I’m So Cal and everything costs extra here.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
I didn't want to say anything before the experts weighed in, but I was thinking the Super Trem looked very clean! Which seems to be extra rare with those...

I probably would too - out of an abundance of caution - but he's (a) quite far from Santa Barbara (b) always seems to have a long backlog.
It seems all the good techs have a long backlog. Fortunately, I’ve got a few amps so I’m ok with the wait and I almost need a wait to be able to scratch up more cash to pay for the service.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
The lead has replaced OT and plate resistors and B+ droppers, couple of replaced Octals. Both have replaced switches and lamps.
The lead has the v1 cathode mustard replaced and v1a has lost its 0.0022uF coupler
The trem is otherwise very original
Thanks Neikeel! Do you know where I could source original looking lamps and switches. I forgot where I found the switch replacement for the Super Bass, but it took a lot of looking.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
Also good for record if you get something taken out that should have stayed or at least a record of the Iron, just in case.
That’s a great point. I keep a separate album on my phone for my amp projects. I hadn’t thought of it as a way to check someone’s work….

Latest posts