One of those great days! 1971 Super Tremelo and Super Lead

playloud

Reaction score
Do you want the lowdown on them first?

"The lowdown" makes it sound like you're going to reveal one of them started life as a Peavey or something :D

I will be taking these to Robert Dixon in Burbank, CA to get dialed in. I got a great deal, so spending money on a great tech works.

Great! Just be sure to ask him to be "conservative" with the original parts. I have a friend who took a similar era Marshall to him recently and he replaced a mustard cap. I'm sure there was a reason, but those caps are notorious for not leaking DC after all these years, so I do wonder how necessary it really was.

Garth Rocket

Reaction score
"The lowdown" makes it sound like you're going to reveal one of them started life as a Peavey or something :D

Great! Just be sure to ask him to be "conservative" with the original parts. I have a friend who took a similar era Marshall to him recently and he replaced a mustard cap. I'm sure there was a reason, but those caps are notorious for not leaking DC after all these years, so I do wonder how necessary it really was.
Interesting….I’ve only had experience with a few techs and so far, my gear has works best after Dixon has worked on it. I’m know there’s other great techs around. So Cal has pretty good resources

neikeel

Reaction score
The lead has replaced OT and plate resistors and B+ droppers, couple of replaced Octals. Both have replaced switches and lamps.
The lead has the v1 cathode mustard replaced and v1a has lost its 0.0022uF coupler
The trem is otherwise very original

Deftone

Reaction score
The lead has replaced OT and plate resistors and B+ droppers, couple of replaced Octals. Both have replaced switches and lamps.
The lead has the v1 cathode mustard replaced and v1a has lost its 0.0022uF coupler
The trem is otherwise very original
Considering it's 51 y.o. that's not too bad, right?

TAZIN

Reaction score
A few addition things I noticed on the Lead amp are:
Replaced Ohms selector switch.
Replaced Treble pot & the Normal channel Volume pot.
Replaced 0.005uF ceramic disk bypass cap on the Bright channel Volume pot.
Missing the 500pF bypass cap for the Bright channel's 470K mixing resistor.

neikeel

Reaction score
A few addition things I noticed on the Lead amp are:
Replaced Ohms selector switch.
Replaced Treble pot & the Normal channel Volume pot.
Replaced 0.005uF ceramic disk bypass cap on the Bright channel Volume pot.
Missing the 500pF bypass cap for the Bright channel's 470K mixing resistor.
Yep the tone shaping caps and pots I noticed too but kept it light 😉
They have had a life and been used for their purpose and are likely to do the same for a while longer. I would tidy up the SL with correct parts and tidy the soldering up a bit, that is all.

playloud

Reaction score
I didn't want to say anything before the experts weighed in, but I was thinking the Super Trem looked very clean! Which seems to be extra rare with those...

If I was in California I'd take them to Skip Simmons.

I probably would too - out of an abundance of caution - but he's (a) quite far from Santa Barbara (b) always seems to have a long backlog.

Derrick111

Reaction score

You ALWAYS request up front that the person working on your amp provide any parts they replace (otherwise they toss them and it's too late). This keeps things honest, and you have the option of putting it back if you want or the next owner might want to. I have done this with car repair as well when I was questioning the facility.

I was thinking the Super Trem looked very clean! Which seems to be extra rare with those...

I love Marshall tremolo amps! Eagle eyed fans will notice that legends Hendrix, Clapton, Beck, Townshend all used Marshall tremolo amps in their hay day. Some aren't fans of the tremolo compared to Fender or some pedals, but the legends mentioned didn't build their status and fame on that effect anyways...

jimi-hendrix-fine-art-print-nov-17-1968.jpg

Latest posts