Ok Blues Man

PelliX

Reaction score
SRV, Johnny Winter, Howling Wolf, Muddy Waters, ZZ Top, Fab T-Birds, Elmore James, Willie Dixon, BB, Buddy Guy , Albert King, Blues Breakers, Black Crowes and of course Clapton, Beck and Page!

Our local Radio Station has a Blues Brunch every Sunday morning, gotta love it!

I'm going to agree with all o' those, but the way I read the OP, this was about non-rock blues, where I would firmly put the likes of SRV - though he played clean old fashioned blues, too - like Hendrix.

Somestimes you have to go back to the 'originals' to fully get an angle on a song. Most people seem to think that either Eric Clapton or the Blues Brothers wrote Sweet Home Chicago... Same kind who's jaws drop when you show 'em where Jack White got lots of his ideas and stuff (Robert Johnson, Leadbelly, etc - who should also be mentioned). When The Levee Breaks is another excellent example.

jeffb

Reaction score
So on a serious note...

I used to have a great collection of old Blues albums- from Robert Johnson and Elmore James through to Buddy Guy's 80s stuff. And of course all the "White Boy Blues" stuff too- from Bluesbreakers, Johnny Winter, Super Sessions, through SRV and Jeff Healey and the like. I actually have an import somewhere from the late 70s or early 80s called "white boy blues"- it's got all kinds of off the cuff sessions from the 60s and 70s.. check it out HERE

But I could go the rest of my life, setting all of it aside and just listening to and watching this guy- he's the only Blues artist who never bored the shit out of me after a few tunes.

Nkyrental

Reaction score
Lately it has been Albert Cummings and Jonny Lang. I seem to jump around every coupe of weeks.

tomsvintage

Reaction score
So on a serious note...

I used to have a great collection of old Blues albums- from Robert Johnson and Elmore James through to Buddy Guy's 80s stuff. And of course all the "White Boy Blues" stuff too- from Bluesbreakers, Johnny Winter, Super Sessions, through SRV and Jeff Healey and the like. I actually have an import somewhere from the late 70s or early 80s called "white boy blues"- it's got all kinds of off the cuff sessions from the 60s and 70s.. check it out HERE

But I could go the rest of my life, setting all of it aside and just listening to and watching this guy- he's the only Blues artist who never bored the shit out of me after a few tunes.

Freddie King was so great !! Nobody else could get away with those huge stylin' shirt collars like Freddie :)

Last edited:

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
whats your blues go to? NOT talking blues/rock but straight up dyed in the freakin wool blues music.
dont give that well blues and rock are kinda the same BS either. if ya dont know real blues then please set this one out. ;)
Gosh, that's a great question!

Gonna go with some chalk picks: BB King, Billie Holiday, Robert Johnson, and Bonnie Raitt.

And some perhaps not as expected picks: SRV, Robert Cray, Gary Moore (all of whom I saw perform in concert)

Hope that last pick of Gary doesn't violate the original rules! He opened for Rush (!) of all things around 1982: fantastic. Saw SRV at the Playboy Jazz Festival circa 1983 (phenomenal) and Cray somewhere in Sonoma, CA around 1993 (technically jaw dropping).

:^)

jeffb

Reaction score
Freddie King was so great !! Nobody else could get away with those huge stylin' shirt collars like Freddie :)

You know a SunnuvaBitch means business when he walks on stage dressed to the 9s, takes off his coat in front of the whole audience while the band is jammin' out, THEN straps on his weapon of choice.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
the way I read the OP, this was about non-rock blues,
yes you read the OP correctly too. let me go see what he actually said.....

" whats your blues go to? NOT talking blues/rock but straight up dyed in the freakin wool blues music.
dont give that well blues and rock are kinda the same BS either. if ya dont know real blues then please set this one out"

yep thats what he said.

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes you read the OP correctly too. let me go see what he actually said.....

" whats your blues go to? NOT talking blues/rock but straight up dyed in the freakin wool blues music.
dont give that well blues and rock are kinda the same BS either. if ya dont know real blues then please set this one out"

yep thats what he said.
Pretty good thread really.

I didn't notice it until it was months old and then.... and then... it was full of goodness.

Latest posts