NGD Gibson SGJ 2013

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So I went and got it.
Really nice guy who had it. He’d played with Joan jett years ago as he was showing me some pics.
Guitar is in great condition. Only marks where the fingers rest below the strings. I added a touch of stain to darken these spots.
I stripped it, cleaned it, oiled the board and raised the action. Frets were sparkly clean and fingerboard no gunk.
Nice thick neck and feels really nice to play. Gonna take a while to get use to the new shape and feel tho. Neck does dive when seated and haven’t tried with a strap yet.
Only had ten mins plugged in but sounds different to my tribute with same pickups. Darker for sure so I might tweak the eq some before I’m happy. Doesn’t seem as high output also? Maybe the plastic covers cause this? For now I just gotta get use to it.
Here’s some pics. Oh got the crappy Gibson padded bag. Not the good one 😂

RLW59

Reaction score
Very nice!

The black plastic covered pickups aren't standard 490's. All the coils have slug poles -- no screw polepieces hidden under the covers.

They're certainly not bad, but they don't seem to be anyone's favorite pickups.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Use a wide leather/suede (or similar, not slippy)
strap and the dive goes away.

Actually, with the right technique the neckdive really helps with the really wide bluesvibrato and big bends.

Cool!

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Very nice!

The black plastic covered pickups aren't standard 490's. All the coils have slug poles -- no screw polepieces hidden under the covers.

They're certainly not bad, but they don't seem to be anyone's favorite pickups.
I didn’t know that about the pickups. I have seen someone online put chrome covers on that were plain which explains why no holes across it. Good to know.
I really like the all black look kinda looks more metal.
Only thing I’m not really keen on is the control knobs. Find them hard to turn easily and the jack place feels odd I’ll need an angle cable too.

Just been tweaking the action and putting some relief in the neck the redoing the intonation again.

Apparently was set up by a good tech on Denmark street. I didn’t like it 😂 action was like a shredder and neck perfectly straight no relief.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
I
Use a wide leather/suede (or similar, not slippy)
strap and the dive goes away.

Actually, with the right technique the neckdive really helps with the really wide bluesvibrato and big bends.

Cool!
Usually play seated at home and it doesn’t sit well with leg in the middle cut. Feels like it’s a foot longer on the neck than say my les Paul’s. Seems to sit better with lower horn on leg.
Might try a strap tho to balance it

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score
Happy NGD!

I really like a lot of the faded and j models from Gibson. In my opinion, certain ones are as every bit as good the more expensive models. Just not as much flash of course.

I like the satin finish especially after an application of Virtuoso polish. It gives it this really nice semi gloss shine to it.

As far as the pots/controls go, I believe Mojotone has a solderless wiring harness available for SG's.

Enjoy!!

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Happy NGD!

I really like a lot of the faded and j models from Gibson. In my opinion, certain ones are as every bit as good the more expensive models. Just not as much flash of course.

I like the satin finish especially after an application of Virtuoso polish. It gives it this really nice semi gloss shine to it.

As far as the pots/controls go, I believe Mojotone has a solderless wiring harness available for SG's.

Enjoy!!
Pots are fine just the knobs are horrible and feel slippery which makes pots feel stiff. I usually use the chrome top ones not sure of the name of them. Maybe bell knobs. But I’m gonna keep it stock for now and see how it goes.
Had another hour on it today and not feeling the SG vibe yet. Just feels alien compared to a les paul shape and also my Evh special.
As a person who sits to play nearly always it doesn’t sit great as feels very long due to body cut positions. I will persevere tho for now. I got it at a good price so could easily move it on for similar or even make a nice profit if decided wasn’t for me.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
So I spent the last half hour switching between my two Paul’s and SGJ at a better volume.
So I noticed the sg is definitely more aggressive sounding than all, more snarl to the sound. More bite. Sounds like the pickups are hotter than the tribute even tho they are the same model 490s? It’s actually brighter where I thought it was originally darker but fatter overall. The neck pickup on the tribute LP sounds way better and warmer which is probably due to the sg having 24 frets and positioning the pickup further back towards bridge slightly.
I haven’t noticed any mid range differences which I though I might.
The SGJ may if I dare sounds slightly better than the tribute Paul 🫢 (there was a reason I keep contemplating selling the tribute due to it not having the fat Paul sound)
Now my special tribute doesn’t have the output of the other two but it has something in them p90s which says fuck you humbuckers! So thick fat and juicy and really balanced.
My special is still my favourite without a doubt.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
HNGD
I love SG’s they just dig in an bark

Cheers
Mitch
What about explorers? Do they bite? Always fancied an explorer.
I’m finding that fully solid guitar body’s definitely have something over chambered and weight relieved guitars. More fullness and thicker. Not sure if others feel that but that’s my take

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
What about explorers? Do they bite? Always fancied an explorer.
I’m finding that fully solid guitar body’s definitely have something over chambered and weight relieved guitars. More fullness and thicker. Not sure if others feel that but that’s my take
Explorer’s do have a bark.. I have had 2 of them, the most recent one got sold because the neck had a slight twist to it, and I just didn’t jell with it..

Mitch

Dana Rudd

Reaction score
Congrats on you SGJ, great looking. Nice back history and I'll bet it sounds great. Enjoy and HNGD.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Another hour blast today and went back and forth between SGJ and tribute.
Don’t like the tribute now 😢
The SGJ tone is so much better. I mean it sounds great and the tribute just sounds pathetic.
Really shows when something superior comes along.
Problem is a friend of a friend liked it and offered me £625 for it as he’s been after one a while. I’m contemplating it as I think the tribute days might be numbered and if both went I’d be in a position to get a sg standard or something a bit fancier.
Sound stupid or keep with it?

Mike_LA

Reaction score
Hummm,nice. Enjoy
Reminding me to take my SG200 out of the closet and begin a re-fin.
I think the only thing I am missing is the chrome pick up ring.
Hey, it was my only guitar in "75, my friends used to refer to it as "The Log", due to the baseball bat neck and flat brown color.
I stripped the top, restained and added an SD pup and 4 pots . . . .
SG 100 sm 1364967476797.jpg

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Hummm,nice. Enjoy
Reminding me to take my SG200 out of the closet and begin a re-fin.
I think the only thing I am missing is the chrome pick up ring.
Hey, it was my only guitar in "75, my friends used to refer to it as "The Log", due to the baseball bat neck and flat brown color.
I stripped the top, restained and added an SD pup and 4 pots . . . .
View attachment 116800
Nice looking beast 😃

Latest posts