NGD (Charvel)

Derek S

Reaction score
I bet it sounds menacing through that Soldano!
Haha...first thing I did once I swapped the pickups out! That amp still puts a dirty, smug grin on my face every time I fire it up. Thanks.

speaking about pickups, I had a friend just give me a great idea about the Seymour Duncan's I yanked out of this guitar (Full Shred and Alnico Pro II), he suggested trying them in my LP, both are solid upgrades over the stock pups still sitting in that. So I did a few quick searches and skimmed some forums and sure enough, he's right. I told him they were white though and he showed me a pic of his iced tea colored LP with white pickups, then I googled more images - damn, LP's look pretty sharp with 'em! Yay, another soldering job on deck!

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
That's a lovely guitar @Derek S :fever:

I got the 2016 San Dimas HT with white JB/'59 pickups and whilst they wouldn't be my first choice of colour, I've grown used to them.
I am not entirely happy with the JB/'59 set as full humbuckers, but they split and combine beautifully.
The San Dimas is now my substitute 'Strat' for single coil tones.
But at some point I may see if I can afford a different SD set in black, probably Duncan Distortion/Jazz.
I am just loathed to tackle the (to me) rather complicated selector wiring, to retain the push-pull switching options.

I had to install new Black Tusq string trees though, to address a D/G string resonance issue above the nut.
A small aesthetic improvement too IMHO.

YCHARVEL7615107[1].jpg
20210303_101118-1000.jpg

Derek S

Reaction score
That's a lovely guitar @Derek S :fever:

I got the 2016 San Dimas HT with white JB/'59 pickups and whilst they wouldn't be my first choice of colour, I've grown used to them.
I am not entirely happy with the JB/'59 set as full humbuckers, but they split and combine beautifully.
The San Dimas is now my substitute 'Strat' for single coil tones.
But at some point I may see if I can afford a different SD set in black, probably Duncan Distortion/Jazz.
I am just loathed to tackle the (to me) rather complicated selector wiring, to retain the push-pull switching options.

I had to install new Black Tusq string trees though, to address a D/G string resonance issue above the nut.
A small aesthetic improvement too IMHO.

View attachment 86250
View attachment 86251
Thanks Sky! That's a nice one too, easy on the eyes! Don't get me wrong about the white pickups, I like 'em, especially in your guitar and others, hell, I'm tossing mine in my Les Paul ASAP! I just hated the way they looked in my new guitar, well, I just knew black (or even cream) would look better.

Derek S

Reaction score
Congratulations. I love Charvels. I bought a new '86 Model 3 in '87 and had it for many years.

View attachment 86253
Fortunately I was able to replace it with an '86 Model 2 and I replaced the Kahler with an OFR...

View attachment 86254

I also built myself one with a Mahogany body & USA neck (before Charvel started selling them)
View attachment 86252
Man, that natural/mahogany one is awesome, I was gassing hard for one of those back when the custom shop was making them! In fact I STILL keep an eye on the used market for one lol. I'm a sucker for chrome hardware though - if I find one it's gonna have to be with chrome. Nice collection you have!

Deftone

Reaction score
Man, that natural/mahogany one is awesome, I was gassing hard for one of those back when the custom shop was making them! In fact I STILL keep an eye on the used market for one lol. I'm a sucker for chrome hardware though - if I find one it's gonna have to be with chrome. Nice collection you have!

Thanks, bud. It actually had a chrome ofr at first, but later I decided to go all black to match my soul. The body was originally going to be black as well, but at the last minute I decided to do linseed oil.

I was super pissed when the Charvel came out with their mahogany body. "REALLY!?!" "I just made one and now you come out with the same thing?" Oh well.

Derek S

Reaction score
Congrats, lovely guitar ! And man, that white Charvel with cream pickups is sweet...
thanks man! That white Charvel has been my workhorse for the last 10 years.

Sorry to bump this thread - I just wanted to show what I did with the Seymour Duncan's I yanked out of the new Charvel...they found their way into my Les Paul. I didn't fully love the stock LP pups (BB1 & 2) anyway, they weren't bad, but I thought I'd try the Duncan's and see if they'd be a step up - and they are! Just killed two birds with one rock, hell, I even like the looks more now...

Les-Paul-Stand.jpg

Les-Paul-in-Case.jpg

Les-Paul-Case.jpg

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Love Charvels.

Yeah I'm not a fan of white humbuckers and white knobs on a superstrat. But on a traditional strat with a white pickguard and white single coil covers it's the only way. I think they might look okay on a white Charvel with graphics.

That Les Paul looks great with the white pickups.

Latest posts