NGD (Charvel)

Derek S

Reaction score
I picked up a new guitar this weekend, first one in ages. I got a bit of gas when these Fender HM Strat reissues surfaced this year (I never owned one back in the day but was always a fan, especially the pink or white versions thanks to Greg Howe and his early albums/videos). Anyway, the local GC had a pink one in stock, checked it out and it does deliver, a great MIJ super strat for sure - but damn, they also had a Charvel DK24 in pink (technically they call it "burgandy mist") there and it was REALLY nice too lol. They even had a third option in pink for shits and grins, a San Dimas Charvel (but it was never really in the running as I already have a US made one of those in white).

So I ignored the nostalgia factor and bought the better guitar while adding something new to my small arsenal. It still has a least a bit of that pink Greg Howe vibe too so that itch got scratched. I did have to look beyond the butt ugly (to me) white pickups and knobs on the Charvel and try to picture it with either cream or black hardware (the stock pickups were rather heh anyway so that was easy).

Pink-Guitar-Center.jpg

I tossed some black DiMarzio's in there (think it looks much better), gave it a good nip and tuck...she's ready for prime time.

Charvel-DK24-Case.jpg

Charvel-DK24-Upright.jpg

My two Charvels...

Charvels.jpg

Group shot...

Guitars.jpg

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I picked up a new guitar this weekend, first one in ages. I got a bit of gas when these Fender HM Strat reissues surfaced this year (I never owned one back in the day but was always a fan, especially the pink or white versions thanks to Greg Howe and his early albums/videos). Anyway, the local GC had a pink in stock, checked it out and it does deliver, a great MIJ super strat for sure - but damn, they also had a Charvel DK24 in pink there and it was REALLY nice too lol. They even had a third option in pink for shits and grins, a San Dimas Charvel (but it was never really in the running as I already have a US made one of those in white).

So I ignored the nostalgia factor and bought the better guitar while adding something new to my small arsenal. It still has a least a bit of that pink Greg Howe vibe too so that itch got scratched. I did have to look beyond the butt ugly (to me) white pickups and knobs on the Charvel and try to picture it with either cream or black hardware (the stock pickups were rather heh anyway so that was easy).

Pink-Guitar-Center.jpg

I tossed some black DiMarzio's in there (think it looks much better) and gave it a good nip and tuck...she's ready for prime time now.

Charvel-DK24-Case.jpg

Charvel-DK24-Upright.jpg

Charvel-Guitars.jpg

Guitars.jpg
Congrats on the pink guitar! Are you back playing from your accident?

Derek S

Reaction score
Congrats on the pink guitar! Are you back playing from your accident?
Yes! Well, still a WIP lol, I can't rotate my lower arm that much, I guess the two metal plates don't respond like bones do...but it doesn't affect my playing that much now so it's no biggie. What DOES affect my playing is the 7 stitches in my left hand lol - damn dog bit me last week (accident, totally my fault while playing)...was tough to sample guitars with a jacked up fret hand but I was able to hear and feel what I needed to make a choice. Thanks for asking BTW.

junk notes

Reaction score
Congrats!
Charvel-DK24-Case.jpg

Their whole entire inventory and they can not make a 22 fret version of this? :mad2:
Charvel-DK24-Upright.jpg

edit: Well, I found *this; in which he says why I will need to inevitably purchase 2 guitars to get what I need.. I am good with that, long as I know that they will probably not issue a 22 fret Gotoh HH version.

*youtube vid

I do not understand, if the make a Gotoh 22 fret SSS, which is more like what he mentions as big brother product design, difference having a reverse angle bridge singlecoil pickup, but Charvel will not do a 22 fret HH with a Gotoh? Definitely over my pay scale.

Last edited:

Rusty Strings

Reaction score
Congratulations, fantastic collection !
I love charvels with small fender headstock, especially the MIJ San Dimas. After I bought from the last batch in 2014, it was the white one, I discovered, this is my guitar of choice and luckily acquired mint second hand wild card 7 primer scream, blue san dimas, 2 MIM necks, 2 MIJ bodies, one mim specific ocean, all san dimas and I still did not have enough of them after modding hardware and pups, I got the Jackson sdx the ebay offer was too good to miss that and used the neck on an aftermarket SD style body, another rosewood jackson sdx neck for the former specific ocean mim body and its mim neck went onto a black mij sd body, now working slowly on other 3 SD style bodies with wd music necks. Sold every guitar but Charvel San Dimas. Some old photos and guitars ( the jackson neck with HH grey body was specific ocean mim body and now is grass green, the sdx jackson donated its neck to the sugar cane SH body, the primer scream had its face polished and had various pups and was hard to make it sound and feel good and settled on injector neck and dimarzio mojo bridge. The white one has now chrome HB 90 pups and looks delicious....)
MIJ Charvel setup after big clean 2016.jpg DSC04635.JPG Charvel wild card 7 - charvel HS style axe with Jackson SDX neck.jpg

Derek S

Reaction score
Thanks gents!!

@ rustystrings...nice collection, I would've liked seeing a pic of your specific ocean charvel too, anything in that family of green looks sweet to me, always kicked myself for not grabbing the "seasick green" san dimas back during their earlier releases.

Derek S

Reaction score
congrats. tell us the dog story. what kind of dog?
Thanks again everyone!

The dog bite was not so much a bite as me trying to snatch my hand out of her mouth (didn't end well). We were just roughing housing in the front yard, done it a thousand times with her, had my fist in her mouth as she likes to gently knaw on it and act tough, play growling, etc...but I panicked because a really sharp portion of a tooth was digging in so I yanked my hand out and holy shit - dogs teeth are like a machete lol, her canine absolutely gashed my palm, big, deep chunk of flesh removed in a blink, blood oozing out. Knew it needed stiches right away, plus, the bacteria from a dogs mouth can cause an infection quickly so I went to the ER - ended up with 7 stiches.

My "killer" lol...

Trixie-in-the-Grass-2020.jpg

20190529-162157.jpg

Derek S

Reaction score
i just dont know why they put fender style trems on them.
It's not though - it just looks like and old skool Fender trem, trust me, I wouldn't have bought it as I'm NOT a fan of those, I prefer whammy bars of the more modern, floaty breed. This is a Gotoh 510 trem with locking tuners. It's the exact same "non Floyd" trem Suhr puts on his guitar (and I have one sitting right here, they're identical). Stays in tune as good as any Floyd!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
It's not though - it just looks like and old skool Fender trem, trust me, I wouldn't have bought it as I'm NOT a fan of those, I prefer whammy bars of the more modern, floaty breed. This is a Gotoh 510 trem with locking tuners. It's the exact same "non Floyd" trem Suhr puts on his guitar (and I have one sitting right here, they're identical). Stays in tune as good as any Floyd!

oh cool. i was questioning you for a moment lol.
nice looking guitar still.

shes a cutie indeed. how does she act now around you?
my german likes to chew on fists so i know what you mean.

Latest posts