New to marshall. In the last year i picked up a silver jubilee 2525h with 2x12 cab and a jcm 800 studio. Im lost as to setting them up. Suggestions

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I am a classic rock guy. Anything from the cars to Foreigner, the who, Deo, ozzy. Attached is my pedal board and the 800. I got both amps because of the broad range of sounds but hey I admit, I am just lost. View attachment 116384
I would take the 800 and dime the preamp for a low gain, then set the Schaffer pedal as a clean boost in front for gainier tones.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Congrats on your amps
I am of no help on the Jube and you have gotten answers for the 800,,
The best part is to be patient and experiment with the tones an get them dialed in to your preference..
Cheers
Mitch

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Play them LOUD.

That's the main ingredient in great Marshall tone.

Do you have a looper on your board? I didn't see, anyways start with the tone knobs at 5 and strum an open string or chord and twist the bass knob back and fourth from 0 to 10 and focus on what frequencies you hear added or removed. Spend a few minutes and get really familiar with what frequencies you are hearing and then do the same with middle, treble and presence. I find this is the best way to get familiar with your amp's tone and controls and will aid so much in sculpting the sounds you want from it.

Both amps will sound their best at high volume once the power tubes start getting pushed.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's OK, get gain up and add the OD in front. Pretty well every hard rocker in the 80s did just that. It's a great amp for that stuff!!
This is it right here @LittleD, Jethro nailed it.

Countless guitarists use and used od pedals to boost 800s into heavier gain territory. These style amps never were, and are not, known as high gain amps.

The SC20 has plenty of gain for me for rhythm playing, but I also have two clean boosts on my board for soloing and heavier stuff.

Probably every player here in this forum, who plays a Jcm800 2203/2204, SC20 style amp, boosts it with some kind of pedal,… at least sometimes.

We’re you misinformed about the medium gain of the Studio 800?

LittleD

Reaction score
This is it right here @LittleD, Jethro nailed it.

Countless guitarists use and used od pedals to boost 800s into heavier gain territory. These style amps never were, and are not, known as high gain amps.

The SC20 has plenty of gain for me for rhythm playing, but I also have two clean boosts on my board for soloing and heavier stuff.

Probably every player here in this forum, who plays a Jcm800 2203/2204, SC20 style amp, boosts it with some kind of pedal,… at least sometimes.

We’re you misinformed about the medium gain of the Studio 800?
@scozz No I wasn't misinformed. Have always heard about the go to amp in the 80s was the jcm800. I just failed to do the proper research. That is on me. Normally I do my homework. I do have the amp now so I will work thru the tones. I knew I could get the lowdown here and I was disappointed. Thank you.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
@scozz No I wasn't misinformed. Have always heard about the go to amp in the 80s was the jcm800. I just failed to do the proper research. That is on me. Normally I do my homework. I do have the amp now so I will work thru the tones. I knew I could get the lowdown here and I was disappointed. Thank you.
Also, depending where you play, if you get get the master up to like 6 or 7 even in 5 watt mode, you will get more of that tube overdrive.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Tha
I am just gonna have to leave the pedals out. I was talking to another player on Facebook. He suggested I crank the master to get the tubes hot. Input gain down low and output gain to taste. I haven't tried it yet but will tomorrow.
That’s probably what I did with mine.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I got it from looking at his dialing in from a rig rundown video.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Here it is.

slash.jpg

In fact I just dialed it in and did this with it. Just remember this is 85 dB because I am attenuating with a Harley Benton PA 250. Without that, you can get a bigger sound.

Last edited:

Latest posts