need some recommendations for instrument cables

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I have my own personal favorite brand of guitar cables that I use - Planet Waves American Stage Pro Series - but I wanted to get some input to find out what other cables people like... my son plays guitar, and the cables he's using now are some ghetto, cheapo brand, and I think they might be contributing to some RFI and noise in his guitar signal. so I'd like some recommendations for cables that are well shielded and durable and sound nice and full and clear. also, I don't want one that are ridiculously expensive. I'm aware of Mogami and Monster cables, and I think those are a little too pricey... but if there are others that are a little more affordable, I'm all ears.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I recently upgraded to Boss BIC cables (BIC=Boss Instrument Cable).
Boss BIC-P is the premium version.
Roland RIC-G (i.e. Gold) is the same as Boss BIC.
Roland RIC-B (i.e. Black) is a slightly cheaper version.

MickeyS

Reaction score
They'll make them with whatever ends you want, length you want, etc. I've been using them for well over 10 years without a single failure. Nice people to do business with as well.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have my own personal favorite brand of guitar cables that I use - Planet Waves American Stage Pro Series - but I wanted to get some input to find out what other cables people like... my son plays guitar, and the cables he's using now are some ghetto, cheapo brand, and I think they might be contributing to some RFI and noise in his guitar signal. so I'd like some recommendations for cables that are well shielded and durable and sound nice and full and clear. also, I don't want one that are ridiculously expensive. I'm aware of Mogami and Monster cables, and I think those are a little too pricey... but if there are others that are a little more affordable, I'm all ears.
All cables eventually fail so its good to get cables that can be repaired. Im a fan of RapcoHorizon cables, theyre inexpensive and have screw off ends so when the time comes its easy to cut the end off and resolder it. :yesway:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Pickups and amp are more likely the cause of your interference problems. Try to keep your guitar away from the amp and your phones away from those.

Some pickups can get very microphonic. The solution is to mod or new pickups.

The main guitar output cable will always be moving and undergoing some stress all the time, just hanging there. So I go through this guitar cable like I do guitar strings. The fact is we bend them, step on them, pull them, and they are moving.

Unfortunately, I make the mistake of sometimes using my FX loop cables or other long lines as my main guitar cable and they degrade eventually.

So I order a new cable every few months.

Ernie Ball is what I am using at the moment.

dro

Reaction score
A guitar chain is called a chain for a reason.
A chain is only as good as it's weakest link.
So yes. Lets connect a $3000. Les Paul to a $3500. pedalboard, then to a $5000.amp, with $10.00 cables.
Yeah, that makes sense.

playloud

Reaction score
A guitar chain is called a chain for a reason.
A chain is only as good as it's weakest link.
So yes. Lets connect a $3000. Les Paul to a $3500. pedalboard, then to a $5000.amp, with $10.00 cables.
Yeah, that makes sense.

I concede your general point, but price != quality (especially across types of things!) and cabling is perhaps more susceptible to snake oil than any other aspect of guitar equipment.

That said, I make my own cables from Mogami 2524 and Neutrik connectors. One less thing to think about and good enough for virtually anything.

dro

Reaction score
I concede your general point, but price != quality (especially across types of things!) and cabling is perhaps more susceptible to snake oil than any other aspect of guitar equipment.

That said, I make my own cables from Mogami 2524 and Neutrik connectors. One less thing to think about and good enough for virtually anything.
Me too. Pedal boards are all connected with George L's.
Wanna hear your tone open up? George L's.

tonycaster

Reaction score
Tried various, from Monster to Spectraflex to Planet Waves to Ernie Ball, and ended up with Mogami 2524 with Neutrik plugs, both for patch and instrument cables: the most "complete" freq response ever. If you are lucky enough you can get some great offers on Amazon

Barfly

Expert bottle opener.
Reaction score
I've pretty much stuck to Bayou Cables for decades. Reliable, durable and purdy.

Reaction score
If it were MY son I'd either (1) Buy him a Mogami as a gift (and eliminate the possiblility of a bad signal chain completely) or (2) give him one of your Planet Waves cables. Sure, Mogami cables are expensive (but if you hunt around, there are deals out there!). Mogami cables are the best for a reason. Best Regards!

P.S. I've used these guys several times: https://www.performanceaudio.com/cu...ade-from-mogami-w2524-neutrik-connectors.html