NCD! JCM800 1936 Cab

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
This is the original narrow "suitcase" style with the handle on top. I had two of these probably more than ten years ago. One had the original G12-65's and the other with UK V30's. I stupidly sold both years ago. I LOVE these cabs. They sound incredible, very lively, and for me they are more portable than my standard sized 1936 cabs. I've been looking high and low for another now that I am all Marshall these days, but they are very rare. I found one, and it's really nice condition. The only bummer is that they have the G12M-70 speakers in them. The speakers date to 1983. Either way, I'm thrilled to have that cab back in my possession! I plugged it in and compared them to my V30 cabs and it actually didn't sound as bad as I expected. I think being a closed back cab helps. We'll see if they stay or go. The other bummer is that the leads are soldered, so I would have to bring it to someone if I were to change speakers. I was curious to see what was inside, and I thought the speakers would've been changed after all those years, but nope, they are original. I have an extra pair of V30's, but we'll see. Edit - I cleaned it up after I took the pic. :)

Either way, I'm stoked!

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSCMMUQX0A12_1aVLFRpfejsKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ

00-ekFlwAg26oAJDyvAxVS5CHW0otzBZNm1ZBnGssSKBSAtYapW4lzXGW2s85xXPCgiaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA

Last edited:

RLW59

Reaction score
Soldering and unsoldering speaker connections is about the easiest soldering there is, and a really great way to learn how to solder. (If you decide you don't want the M70's you don't even need to unsolder them -- just cut the wires at the terminals and resolder them to your new speakers.)

Doesn't need a to be an expensive, great quality soldering iron. Walmart sells a cheap iron that comes with a roll of solder for about $12 that's perfectly adequate for speaker terminals.

You can check your work with just a 9 volt battery and a speaker cable. Or go buy a 99 cent item at Harbor Freight and they'll give you a free multimeter. (Cheap and flimsy and typically dies after a few years, but adequate for checking speaker resistance.)

Soldered connections are safer and more secure than push-on terminals. And it's a really handy skill to have. (If you someday want to rewire a guitar you'll probably want a hotter iron than the Walmart one for soldering grounds to the back of the pots -- but if a jack wire or switch wire or something like that pulls loose, the Walmart iron is fine and would save you a trip to a tech.)

Last edited:

AndyD

Reaction score
Nice cabs.

Basically the leftover boxes from the 1970's era model 2045 2X12 cabinets.
Close, but not quite! The 2045 cabs are made from thinner ply....ie 1/2 inch. The overall dimensions are pretty much the same and the JCM cabs are ply construction. To sum up, they are pretty much the same cab, but the JCM is a little heavier! Both great sounding cabs with Greenbacks, Blackbacks, G12-65 etc etc.

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Congrats , nice cab . In my experience , nothing wrong with those older G12M70's . I really liked them . I would not say V30 are really superior .
Thank you! I keep comparing, and the 70’s just sound different…sometimes rather good. I have Marshall branded V30’s that I could put in there. We shall see.

AndyD

Reaction score
Any consensus on how the new G12-65's compare to the vintage ones? Just curious.
I really only have experience with the older speaker. However, I did have a -65 reconed with a Kurt Mueller cone and that sounded very nice compared to vintage -65. Very similar in character. Definitely not worse or worlds apart. They are a good speaker full stop!
Btw, what amp are you going to use with it?

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
I really only have experience with the older speaker. However, I did have a -65 reconed with a Kurt Mueller cone and that sounded very nice compared to vintage -65. Very similar in character. Definitely not worse or worlds apart. They are a good speaker full stop!
Btw, what amp are you going to use with it?

Thank you. Well, either a Vintage Modern, a 2205, or a DSL100HR. Most likely the DSL.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats @Troy T. Blues, great acquisition man! Love those cabs bro!

@RLW59 is right about soldering a speaker. My soldering skills are probably the worse around here, and I’ve soldered many speakers in many cabs with no issues.
Any consensus on how the new G12-65's compare to the vintage ones? Just curious.
I don’t know about comparing with the vintage ones, but they’re a great sounding speaker imo. A very nice balance of highs, mids, and lows, and they even sound good before breaking in.

I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute to put a pair of them in a 2-12 cab. I run two 1-12 cabs, one with a Greenback, the other a Creamback 65. They sound great together.

Enjoy Troy!

(Haha)

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
Congrats @Troy T. Blues, great acquisition man! Love those cabs bro!

@RLW59 is right about soldering a speaker. My soldering skills are probably the worse around here, and I’ve soldered many speakers in many cabs with no issues.

I don’t know about comparing with the vintage ones, but they’re a great sounding speaker imo. A very nice balance of highs, mids, and lows, and they even sound good before breaking in.

I wouldn’t hesitate for a minute to put a pair of them in a 2-12 cab. I run two 1-12 cabs, one with a Greenback, the other a Creamback 65. They sound great together.

Enjoy Troy!

(Haha)

Thanks @scozz! These cabs are my favorite for sure! I was hoping when I looked inside that it would have the G12-65's, but no dice. I'm ok with that now.

I just don't trust myself with a soldering iron. That could go bad fast! :)

I'll prob stick with the V30's since I'm so used to them, but will definitely consider the neww G12-65's as well.

Last edited:

Troy T. Blues

Reaction score
I don't know, but these G12M-70's don't sound too bad to me at all. Am I crazy? Maybe in closed back cab they sound better? Especially this one.

Latest posts