NAD, warning, not a Marshall

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost bought another Marshall, but I decided to look at other brands.

I recently sold a combo, so felt I needed to replace it. Researched long and hard to figure which one I would buy. This is it, and I am thrilled!

Rivera Venus Deux 55W. Tube amp with a lot of features.

If you watch the video below, you can learn all about it, if you aren't already familiar.

Couple of quick notes.
Goes from sounding like a clean Marshall to a clean Fender will the push or pull of a knob.
In "British" mode, it sounds very much like my Marshall not far from it. This mode is likely what I'll spend most of my time playing it in.
Built in reverb. Reverb on, in blackface mode, sounds just like a beautiful Fender amp with its built-in reverb. Amazing.

My new amp with one of my GLP's. Oh yea, it's LOUD!
RiveraWithLes.jpg

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Great amp; it must sound great paired up with that Les Paul.

Rivera makes some crazy cool amps, though some can be quite expensive.

Hope you're enjoying all that amp has to give.
You can get some prettty amazing deals on Rivera on the used market. For whatever reason they fly under the radar - which is fine by me.

PaulHikeS2

Reaction score
HNAD! I'm happy you like the sound. I know little about Rivera but I now if I ever come across one on the used market I'll definitely check it out. Classic good looks, too.

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
Howdy @TXOldRedRocker I saw that you got this combo, and I wanted to ask you a few things since I also just got the same one! 55W EL34…

BE4AD064-5F5E-4B6C-B9C5-7B4D2EE4A5D9.jpeg

First of all, I think it sounds marvelous. Kind of a “rowdy” clean with plenty of headroom and it does both a Fender and a Marshall. I’m also using a Les Paul. However, I’m having a couple of issues that I wanted to run by you, in order to see if you also experience them or if it’s just my unit. I’ve reached out to Rivera and still waiting for them to call me.

- mine was shipped to me brand new and the build quality is impeccable. However, I’m experiencing a pretty major rattle. I think it’s a bad tube or tubes, but it’s hard to say. It rattles at all volumes and on most notes, it’s pretty unpleasant. Kind of sounds like pint glasses rubbing together or a buzzing sound. It’s especially apparent after a chord is decaying, I can hear the rattle oscillating. I know combo rattle is common but I was wondering if you experienced the same thing. I can even hear it rattle inside the cab when in playing my Pro Jr iv that’s just sitting next to it. Power amp tubes seem ok with a tap test, haven’t checked the pres yet.

- with the reverb knob completely off, and the volume at 10-1 o’clock, I can still hear the reverb bleeding into the sound, especially on a chord decay. If you quick strum a chord or do a palm mute strum, can you also hear the reverb bleed through after on your unit? I was not expecting to hear reverb in my sound when it’s completely off, kind of disappointing. I wonder if it’s deliberate by design or if it’s perhaps the tank vibrating sympathetically entering the signal path somehow.

- with the volume knob completely off, I get a sort of snowing sound, or I guess a white noise. Does your combo go totally quiet when the volume is off or do you also get this background operational noise?

Thanks in advance!

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Howdy @TXOldRedRocker I saw that you got this combo, and I wanted to ask you a few things since I also just got the same one! 55W EL34…

View attachment 111945

First of all, I think it sounds marvelous. Kind of a “rowdy” clean with plenty of headroom and it does both a Fender and a Marshall. I’m also using a Les Paul. However, I’m having a couple of issues that I wanted to run by you, in order to see if you also experience them or if it’s just my unit. I’ve reached out to Rivera and still waiting for them to call me.

- mine was shipped to me brand new and the build quality is impeccable. However, I’m experiencing a pretty major rattle. I think it’s a bad tube or tubes, but it’s hard to say. It rattles at all volumes and on most notes, it’s pretty unpleasant. Kind of sounds like pint glasses rubbing together or a buzzing sound. It’s especially apparent after a chord is decaying, I can hear the rattle oscillating. I know combo rattle is common but I was wondering if you experienced the same thing. I can even hear it rattle inside the cab when in playing my Pro Jr iv that’s just sitting next to it. Power amp tubes seem ok with a tap test, haven’t checked the pres yet.

- with the reverb knob completely off, and the volume at 10-1 o’clock, I can still hear the reverb bleeding into the sound, especially on a chord decay. If you quick strum a chord or do a palm mute strum, can you also hear the reverb bleed through after on your unit? I was not expecting to hear reverb in my sound when it’s completely off, kind of disappointing. I wonder if it’s deliberate by design or if it’s perhaps the tank vibrating sympathetically entering the signal path somehow.

- with the volume knob completely off, I get a sort of snowing sound, or I guess a white noise. Does your combo go totally quiet when the volume is off or do you also get this background operational noise?

Thanks in advance!

My Rivera amp...

When the volume is all the way down to the off position, I can still hear my guitar if I strum it. It's faint, but it's there. Since the volume acts normally otherwise, that hasn't bothered me.

I've never noticed reverb still present when the control is all the way to zero, which is where I keep it. But, I always use some modulation when playing through this amp. So, I just plugged straight in, unplugged my pedalboard, turned up the volume, and there was no reverb present. I don't have that issue.

Now, static/rattling. I have it, but only in one way in this amp. If I turn the volume from zero to a millimeter above zero, I will hear it a few times during play of 45 to 90 minutes. I'm a night owl and occasionally after midnight, when the family is asleep, I've tried to have the volume as low as possible. Something I can just barely hear, but wouldn't be heard by anyone beyond my closed door. Literally, go from what's supposed to be zero, to 99% off, I will hear the static and a rattle as I just mentioned. But I don't hear any static or rattle above that one position on the Volume control. That would be a deal breaker, unless it just meant new tubes or a tube. I have just assumed this was due to slight input voltage variations. With the volume that incredible low, the amp was probably strattling the line between off and on, crossing back and forth as voltage slightly varied. Causing some noise. Otherwise, no unwanted noise when playing at normal levels. I don't have that issue either.

I still love mine and play through it many times a week. I'm sorry you're having your issues with yours. Hopefully, the retailer or Rivera will make this right. It's too expensive to have issues that are bothersome.

Keep me updated if you don't mind.

jeffb

Reaction score
Could be the Reverb tank (?)

I notce the version two is in a much smaller cabinet. Probably makes for more rattles if things are not in tip top shape.

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
My Rivera amp...

When the volume is all the way down to the off position, I can still hear my guitar if I strum it. It's faint, but it's there. Since the volume acts normally otherwise, that hasn't bothered me.

I've never noticed reverb still present when the control is all the way to zero, which is where I keep it. But, I always use some modulation when playing through this amp. So, I just plugged straight in, unplugged my pedalboard, turned up the volume, and there was no reverb present. I don't have that issue.

Now, static/rattling. I have it, but only in one way in this amp. If I turn the volume from zero to a millimeter above zero, I will hear it a few times during play of 45 to 90 minutes. I'm a night owl and occasionally after midnight, when the family is asleep, I've tried to have the volume as low as possible. Something I can just barely hear, but wouldn't be heard by anyone beyond my closed door. Literally, go from what's supposed to be zero, to 99% off, I will hear the static and a rattle as I just mentioned. But I don't hear any static or rattle above that one position on the Volume control. That would be a deal breaker, unless it just meant new tubes or a tube. I have just assumed this was due to slight input voltage variations. With the volume that incredible low, the amp was probably strattling the line between off and on, crossing back and forth as voltage slightly varied. Causing some noise. Otherwise, no unwanted noise when playing at normal levels. I don't have that issue either.

I still love mine and play through it many times a week. I'm sorry you're having your issues with yours. Hopefully, the retailer or Rivera will make this right. It's too expensive to have issues that are bothersome.

Keep me updated if you don't mind.

Thanks will do! In the manual it says if the volume is totally off and you hear a “snowing sound” it could be a bad pre-amp tube. I also get a faint guitar signal with the volume totally off, and that doesn’t bother me. I do get a fair amount of white noise though, and I’m used to amps shutting off noise completely when the volume is off. It pretty loud and snowy, but if you also have that background sound then I guess it’s by design. It doesn’t matter when you actually turn up and play, its just that it could be a sign of a bad tube…

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
Could be the Reverb tank (?)

I notce the version two is in a much smaller cabinet. Probably makes for more rattles if things are not in tip top shape.

I guess it’s not uncommon for the reverb to bleed into the signal even if completely off. I guess plenty of Fender amps do this. It seems like a design compromise rather than a mechanical problem, but I’m not entirely sure. What I know is that I can hear the reverb or echo on the decay of a chord when the amp is up to just 11 o’clock, it seems strange but not impossible that the vibrations are making the tank shake and it’s somehow entering the path. Not ideal, as I often like to play with reverb completely off or use a UA Golden instead…

PelliX

Reaction score
I guess it’s not uncommon for the reverb to bleed into the signal even if completely off. I guess plenty of Fender amps do this. It seems like a design compromise rather than a mechanical problem, but I’m not entirely sure. What I know is that I can hear the reverb or echo on the decay of a chord when the amp is up to just 11 o’clock, it seems strange but not impossible that the vibrations are making the tank shake and it’s somehow entering the path. Not ideal, as I often like to play with reverb completely off or use a UA Golden instead…

Can't you disconnect/remove the reverb tank?

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
Can't you disconnect/remove the reverb tank?
I’m sure I can, but if I want to use it sometimes I have to keep removing the rear panel and plugging it back in? No thanks. I just want the option of zero reverb in my path, unplugging may be the only option I guess, I’ll try it. Also, the reverb can be toggled with a footswitch, which wasn’t included, even though the retailer said it was included. A small hassle, since most common footswitches will work. Still, at this price I shouldn’t have any issues with a brand new unit.

PelliX

Reaction score
I’m sure I can, but if I want to use it sometimes I have to keep removing the rear panel and plugging it back in? No thanks. I just want the option of zero reverb in my path, unplugging may be the only option I guess, I’ll try it. Also, the reverb can be toggled with a footswitch, which wasn’t included, even though the retailer said it was included. A small hassle, since most common footswitches will work. Still, at this price I shouldn’t have any issues with a brand new unit.

Yeah, fair point. Still, if you can narrow it down to the reverb tank then at least you know where you stand. That toggling by means of a footswitch ... chances are that mechanism isolates it completely from the signal path and would resolve/mask the issue. Nice amp, in any case and the best of luck! :yesway:

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
I had considered the possibility that the footswitch is what kills the reverb path, that is a good point. That and some tube dampeners could solve everything, provided that the tubes are good. I’m keen on keeping the amp as it sounds great otherwise, and provides a good feature set for a studio as well. I’m a first time poster long time lurker, and although I have a fair amount of MIABs and two Marshall cabs, I’ve never had a Marshall amp. Looking to change that soon perhaps with the JTM-45 30W re-issue.

Anyway thanks everyone for the input.

jeffb

Reaction score
Have you heard back from Rivera?

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
Have you heard back from Rivera?
No I have not heard back from them yet. They were supposed to call me two weeks ago. That’s when I reached out to the retailer and sent over some troubleshooting videos. Tech support then said Rivera wanted to schedule a time to talk to me on the phone, but they haven’t followed up yet. So I think they’ll need a push both from me and from tech support. I suppose they’ll just send me new tubes, though I’m guessing they want to troubleshoot with me to determine which tubes need replacing. I have dampeners on the way so we’ll see if that helps. I really really don’t want to have to return the combo, but I may be forced to…

TXOldRedRocker

Where's the exit?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I have not heard back from them yet. They were supposed to call me two weeks ago. That’s when I reached out to the retailer and sent over some troubleshooting videos. Tech support then said Rivera wanted to schedule a time to talk to me on the phone, but they haven’t followed up yet. So I think they’ll need a push both from me and from tech support. I suppose they’ll just send me new tubes, though I’m guessing they want to troubleshoot with me to determine which tubes need replacing. I have dampeners on the way so we’ll see if that helps. I really really don’t want to have to return the combo, but I may be forced to…

Exchange for a different identical amp, with hopefully none of the issues?

None of my business where of you bought it, but I bought an amp from SW a couple years ago. Had issues right out the previously unopened box. They 2-day shipped me a replacement and a label to return the first one. Second one had no issues.

JoyceRoadStudios

Reaction score
Exchange for a different identical amp, with hopefully none of the issues?

None of my business where of you bought it, but I bought an amp from SW a couple years ago. Had issues right out the previously unopened box. They 2-day shipped me a replacement and a label to return the first one. Second one had no issues.
No secrecy here, I got this one from SW. It was the last one and I don’t see the combos or heads for sale anywhere, which is why I’m so hesitant to give it up. Their tech support is always responsive, but this is not the first time for me dealing with this. Last year I spent six months receiving and sending back Mesa Cali Tweed combos and heads, because they also exhibited a terrible rattle. In both cases I must assume the culprit is broken tubes in shipping. I almost started to believe the problem was with the gear on my end, but different guitars, rooms, houses , cables, etc.. all exhibited this same issue. So I actually had the credit sitting around from the Mesas, which is why I spent it on the Rivera. Shipping amps back and forth is a loss for everyone. I now believe that amps should be bought in person at a store, or tubes should be shipped separately and expertly wrapped.

Further complicating the issue is that amps need to be re-biased even if the tube replacements are the same model.

Sorry to highjack your thread, I want to stick with the amp, it does sound incredible. Also, I tried the headphone output the other day, best I’ve ever heard, no rattle either…