NAD: The PRS HDRX 20 Has Arrived

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
As @jeffb and I suggested, look into a more vintage voiced Celestion to get the most of the amp.

You could pick up a Celestion Greenback G12M25 reissue for around $80 to $100 used. For the price of the matching PRS 1x12 I'd recommend just finding an unloaded 1x12 cab and getting a quality Greenback voiced or influenced speaker for a lot less. I almost bought the matching 1x12 but found a nice real plywood (not MDF) 1x12 cab and a Scumback H55-PVC for a lot less than the PRS cab. The PRS cab does come with a Vtype which will definitely be a step closer towards the Greenback.

I have an old 80s white label G12M70 that I tried with the HDRX 20 for fun. The G12M70 reminded of the T75s I had in my 1960A and just didn't pair well with the HDRX. It sounded decent clean but very bright and sharp... Anyways, speaker speaker speaker!! It's not your hot pickups, plexis sound great with hot pickups, your roadblock are the T75s. Dont get me wrong, the T75s aren't bad speakers at all but not the best match for a plexi voiced amp... I spent years ignoring speakers and chasing amps, pickups, guitars... Everything but speakers. The speakers are the voice of your amp and tone, it's the part of the chain that actually produces audible sound, speakers are very important.

Just trying to share some wisdom I overlooked waaay too long and spent way too much money going in circles.

*edit*

Here is a great comparison of most of the current Greenback voiced speakers. I will also add the Mojotone Watchtower is another option that isn't listed in the video I believe.

Also, the HDRX 20 is based on the Superleads Hendrix had modded by "West Coast Organ and Amplifiers" in 1969 prior to Woodstock etc etc. I believe you can even see the "West Coast" stickers on the back of his amps even at the Isle of Wight which means he was using them until his passing in 1970. Jimi was a notorious user of G12H25 55hz cones in his "100" logo cabs and by 1969 he was often using G12H30 55hz with the West Coast modded Superleads... Anyways, you can't go wrong with any Greenback or Greenback inspired speaker with a plexi voiced amp ala the HDRX 20.

awesome info, thanks!

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
As @jeffb and I suggested, look into a more vintage voiced Celestion to get the most of the amp.

You could pick up a Celestion Greenback G12M25 reissue for around $80 to $100 used. For the price of the matching PRS 1x12 I'd recommend just finding an unloaded 1x12 cab and getting a quality Greenback voiced or influenced speaker for a lot less. I almost bought the matching 1x12 but found a nice real plywood (not MDF) 1x12 cab and a Scumback H55-PVC for a lot less than the PRS cab. The PRS cab does come with a Vtype which will definitely be a step closer towards the Greenback.

I have an old 80s white label G12M70 that I tried with the HDRX 20 for fun. The G12M70 reminded of the T75s I had in my 1960A and just didn't pair well with the HDRX. It sounded decent clean but very bright and sharp... Anyways, speaker speaker speaker!! It's not your hot pickups, plexis sound great with hot pickups, your roadblock are the T75s. Dont get me wrong, the T75s aren't bad speakers at all but not the best match for a plexi voiced amp... I spent years ignoring speakers and chasing amps, pickups, guitars... Everything but speakers. The speakers are the voice of your amp and tone, it's the part of the chain that actually produces audible sound, speakers are very important.

Just trying to share some wisdom I overlooked waaay too long and spent way too much money going in circles.

*edit*

Here is a great comparison of most of the current Greenback voiced speakers. I will also add the Mojotone Watchtower is another option that isn't listed in the video I believe.

Also, the HDRX 20 is based on the Superleads Hendrix had modded by "West Coast Organ and Amplifiers" in 1969 prior to Woodstock etc etc. I believe you can even see the "West Coast" stickers on the back of his amps even at the Isle of Wight which means he was using them until his passing in 1970. Jimi was a notorious user of G12H25 55hz cones in his "100" logo cabs and by 1969 he was often using G12H30 55hz with the West Coast modded Superleads... Anyways, you can't go wrong with any Greenback or Greenback inspired speaker with a plexi voiced amp ala the HDRX 20.

I've got an old 4 x 12 cab, no name ....I haven't tried that yet...I'll open it up see what it has inside...may just buy the a green back speaker and put it in that and unhook the other speakers. I do really like that PRS cab since it matches and the V speaker sounds good to my ears. decisions decisions.

Last edited:

Solid State

Reaction score
They had one of these at Guitar Center today with the matching cab - It was hard not to walk out with it! That's a damn cool sounding amp. I was playing a PRS McCarty with and then a Player Strat. In typical tube amp fashion, it does sound exponentially better when it's way too loud lol ! But it does sound good at low volume too

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
This amp has my interest. I like to sit in my room and sometimes play some Hendrix on my SV20h and today I decided to do that because if I get the PRS HDX it would have to be different from a Plexi I suppose.

This is the sort of thing I can get from my Plexi on most given days. I just did this now. Phone recorded. So this is what it sounds out of the can under some attenuation.

Octavio floor.jpg

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I just plugged it in to my 4 x 12 '87 JUBE 4 x 12, let it warm up for about 20 min, set it to the clean channel settings that PRS recommended, and hit the first chord...Mind Blown! Absolutely killer sound and definition! One of the best I've ever heard. The sound on DEMOS doesn't even come close to how this sounds up close and personal. I'm going to have fun with this one. This is well worth $800! That's a steal for this.
View attachment 119566

A sincere HNAD wish! For a modern amp, "No Effects Loop? = No Bueno!" in my eyes! I know, I know, Jimi didn't use an effects loop, but I believe he would have, if the amps he liked had them! There are many more uses for a loop than simply "inserting" an effects unit!
Enjoy,
Gene

chocol8

Reaction score
Effects loops don't work well with NMV amps that get most of their distortion from the power section. Even beyond that, now that I am using reactive loads and reamping, there is no benefit to a loop on any amp. Post distortion effects go in a the PS loop of after the RLIR.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Effects loops don't work well with NMV amps that get most of their distortion from the power section. Even beyond that, now that I am using reactive loads and reamping, there is no benefit to a loop on any amp. Post distortion effects go in a the PS loop of after the RLIR.
In the modeling world, you can have a distortion pedal after a speaker rated several times too low for an amp if you want. So all sorts of possibilities.

I must admit I did not bother to look at the back of the PRS HDRX models and assumed they would have an FX loop.

I find that when playing tubes, an fx loop is a very nice addition to have. Whenever I set up anything now I put an EQ into the loop, and I have an additional channel through sculpting and a potential boost. You can go direct to amp with a setup like that also. It just gives you more options and shouldn't tone suck if a good EQ.

Marshall put in an on/off button for the FX Loop with the SV and SC studio amps. The jubilee doesn't have a button, though.

BakedBeans

Reaction score
I have the HDRX 50 and am most impressed with the extremely low noise floor, even when cranked. Very important for me, as it's exclusively being used for recording. Great tone, touch sensitivity, sags just right. Classic rock without all the hiss/hum/crackle!

RoadShow

Reaction score
What I find interesting is the use of (2) 5881 tubes in the output section normally used in higher wattage amps, e.g. current issue JTM45 (30W) and Dr. Z MKII (35W). PRS runs them lower not only in this amp but also the Tremonti MT15.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Fx loop to me it's important because of the decimator, but I dont use any delay.

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
I've played one at the local GC. They sound good but the transformers are small. A red flag for long term reliability (for me anyway)..

Figaro

Reaction score
I've played one at the local GC. They sound good but the transformers are small. A red flag for long term reliability (for me anyway)..

Small compared to what, a 50 watt Marshall? PRS says it’s a 20 watt amp. The transformers are not small for a 20 watt amp. They are as large (maybe larger?) as the ones in the Marshall DSL20.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm sure Johan will be doing one any minute. All the demos I've seen so far make it sound really dark.
I hope to see him do one too, like you @purpleplexi, every single video I’ve watched the amp sounds really dark.

I thought it was just me hearing that.

Frodebro

Reaction score
These amps were completely off my radar until I noticed the couple of threads here about it.

Long story short, I now have the head and matching 1x12. Call it an impulse buy that I simmered on for a couple of weeks before finally getting one.

Short-term review: I really, really, really like this amp. The lack of a loop is what kept me on the fence for so long, but I’m working around that by keeping the amp gain down just enough to play nicely with a delay in front of it, and using a pedal to get the dirt back where I want it.

I’m looking forward to winding it up at my next band rehearsal, I’m going to experiment a bit with various dirt pedals to see what I like best when the volume gets a bit rowdier.

Oh, and for those that are concerned that it sounds dark in the videos, it’s not a dark amp at all. The midrange control seems to be voiced at a lower frequency than my Origin, but it’s not down in Mesa territory either. The high end is there in spades if you want it.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Spent some more time with it, then did some more poking around online. This amp gets loud AF, and somebody on TGP said they talked to someone from PRS about the power rating because it's way louder than you would expect from a 20W amp. The tech told him that it's actually upwards around 35 watts or so. My guess is that they marketed it as a 20 to A). not scare off buyers looking for a smaller amp, and B) to distance it a bit further away from their HDRX 50.

Latest posts