NAD PRS HDRX 20... Get Experienced!

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Studio jubilee sounds already like a dark amp with a cheap pedal inside, it sounds too dark. In fact between the three studio Marshall, I would take the SC20 or the SV20 over the mini jubilee any day. But a mini AFD would sound great, it's the most elusive tone, the glassiest, cuts like a knife even without a lot of gain. There are some attempts to make a mini afd, but the only convincing one I heard so far was this:

The ribbon mic used for that recording is half the amp's price.

I got my 2525 Jubilee this summer. This was attenuated to about 85dB to record at home.

Use these settings but dial back if attenuating on the harsher sounds.

slash.jpg

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Studio jubilee sounds already like a dark amp with a cheap pedal inside, it sounds too dark. In fact between the three studio Marshall, I would take the SC20 or the SV20 over the mini jubilee any day. But a mini AFD would sound great, it's the most elusive tone, the glassiest, cuts like a knife even without a lot of gain. There are some attempts to make a mini afd, but the only convincing one I heard so far was this:

Huh, I completely agree with you about the Jub which is why I don’t have one but I guess I've never thought of Slash’s tone as elusive? Mid gain dry Marshall snarl with a hefty low cut, as you show can be easily replicated by either the SC20 or SV20 IME.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Very nice. I would have a question: How does it fuzz with a Dallas Arbiter FF? How does Octavio match with it?

While not deal breakers as you can always find alternative pedals to match the amp, those two pedals I think would sort of be important candidates for matching well with this amp... I hope. :)
It sounds perfect with fuzz, both germanium and silicon. I don't currently own an octavio but I'd imagine it would pair perfectly considering the amp voicing and behavior is nailed down pretty impressively for a 20w variant. I even found the Roger Mayer Axis Fuzz sounds best to my ears thru the HDRX 20. I generally don't like the Axis Fuzz as it sounds thin and grating thru most amps I've played it thru but all my fuzzes sound great thru the HDRX. It responds how I'd expect a Superlead to respond to fuzz, input and volume.

I really wish I had kept my deja vibe a bit longer, I'd love to hear that thru this amp but I'm hoping to have another vibe soon.

I've had my ass kicked by the flu otherwise I would have had some clips uploaded by now. I'm just starting to feel better and hoping to pull the energy together soon.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Huh, I completely agree with you about the Jub which is why I don’t have one but I guess I've never thought of Slash’s tone as elusive? Mid gain dry Marshall snarl with a hefty low cut, as you show can be easily replicated by either the SC20 or SV20 IME.

Easily replicated by SC20 or SV20? Well find me a clip then, I'm all ears:mrburns:.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Easily replicated by SC20 or SV20? Well find me a clip then, I'm all ears:mrburns:.
Lol well I actually typed out that I didn't care enough to make a clip but apparently I do because after the afternoon games I decided to see if I could do what I said I could do. I'm no Appetite historian and the only song I have ever played live is Sweet Child (a long time ago as you can tell) so I did have to listen to the album a bit--going through a Mesa 4x12 V30 IR by Ownhammer--only the Chase Tone Secret Preamp in front and the pic of the amp shows the settings. Using my spankin new Gibson R8 with Custombuckers.

I think it's pretty close? This is obviously just the SV20 but I bet you could get damn close with the SC20 too

Last edited:

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Lol well I actually typed out that I didn't care enough to make a clip but apparently I do because after the afternoon games I decided to see if I could do what I said I could do. I'm no Appetite historian and the only song I have ever played live is Sweet Child (a long time ago as you can tell lol) so I did have to listen to the album a bit--going through a Mesa 4x12 V30 IR by Ownhammer--only the Chase Tone Secret Preamp in front and the pic of the amp shows the settings. Using my spankin new Gibson R8 with Custombuckers.

I think it's pretty close? This is obviously just the SV20 but I bet you could get damn close with the SC20 too

yes, it's in the ballpark but not chewy enough. And are you going to use any IR live? I'm not a Slash fanboy, I just like the AFD100 as an amp to use for any rock style ("signatures" please, disappear from any amp). There are so many copies but they never sound as good as the Marshall AFD100. Instead of focusing on the album, I suggest you to focus on the AFD100 clips, some are really good, they give you an idea of how great the amp is.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
are you going to use any IR live?
I use IRs live prob half to 2/3 of the time. If we don’t bring our sound guy or if I need to use a back line cab I usually run an IR to FOH.
Instead of focusing on the album, I suggest you to focus on the AFD100 clips
I said the SV20 can get Slash Appetite tones—I’ve never played an “AFD100” amp but those clips sound more like a Friedman than AFD to me. AFD tone has almost no low end at all, those clips sound more like AIC to me.

Again, this is AFD tone:

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Funny you guys mention Slash tones and this vid just happened to come out now hehe. Slight derail for a moment.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
Funny you guys mention Slash tones and this vid just happened to come out now hehe. Slight derail for a moment.

Joahn was reading this thread😀
I end up watching all these comparisons with good headphones and they confirm my expectations. The Marshall AFD 100 always sounds better, maybe harsh on its own, but in a mix is the best one.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
I use IRs live prob half to 2/3 of the time. If we don’t bring our sound guy or if I need to use a back line cab I usually run an IR to FOH.

I said the SV20 can get Slash Appetite tones—I’ve never played an “AFD100” amp but those clips sound more like a Friedman than AFD to me. AFD tone has almost no low end at all, those clips sound more like AIC to me.

Again, this is AFD tone:

Yes, in fact I don't care about the AFD album, and I love all friedman amps, that you own, so you know them better than me.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, in fact I don't care about the AFD album, and I love all friedman amps, that you own, so you know them better than me.
Makes sense--I do think you'd like a BE, sounds a lot like those clips you posted. Smallbox still doesn't have a ton of gain

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Yes, these are good questions. 20w is ok, even too loud. No reverb? Fuck me, I don't like any reverb, reverb sucks 99% of cases, unless you use it properly like Eric Johnson or post recording. A grandpiano, a violin and a sax doesn't need any reverb. But regarding the FX loop, probably I would miss it, some noise gate like the Decimator for example, work better on the loop rather than in front. But if the amp sounds better than a Marshall SV20, at that price the HDRX is a bargain.
Never tried the SV20 but they are in the same zip code; I.E. shrunk down plexi things. I do like a well engineered master better than most attenuators I've had, and this one surely is.

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
Quick update!

Seems my luck ran out and the HDRX 20 has developed an intermittent loud hum. It only happens or the amp has been off and you turn it on and once the tubes warm up I get a LOUD 60hz hum that doesn't go away unless I turn it off and on again, sometimes takes 3 cycles of on and off the alleviate it plus it does it even with nothing plugged into the input. None of the controls affect it except touching the High Mid Gain switch would make the hum cut in and out too. I've also noticed tapping on the head affects it, makes the hum cut in and out but not permanently. It was shipped FedEx 🤮 and I wonder if it got banged around as both power tubes weren't seated all the way, pins were visible. The tubes I caught right away so it isn't that but I still removed and re seated every tube just to try... No luck. I've checked all my connections, checked the bias, different tubes, everything short of pulling the chassis which I won't do seeing as it's under warranty.

I have hope it maybe something silly but I worry it will just keep coming back and become worse. Right now it hasn't done it for the past 3 sessions. I hold out hope it maybe my apartment, it's so dry in here I constantly get static shocks. I also had a air purifier that works by static electricity to attract the dust. It was so bad I had to keep a dryer sheet near me to wipe my strat pickgaurd every 15/20 mins. Working in the automotive industry I know static and other little things can wreak havoc on electronics and send you it wild goose chases for weird ass problems.

So far today nothing but if it comes back I will just return it for a replacement... I can't even describe how much I love this amp!
Wow, sorry to hear that. I thought mine had that problem, then it turned out just to be a Catalinbread delay I was using (quickly dumped on reverb). The mid gain switch brings one cap in and out, that's all it does, Paul says so in a video (so I put the same thing in my Granger 50 watt). Maybe a bad cap? I would strongly consider exchanging it. I've seen these "mystery problems" disappear for a long time only to return at very inopportune moments.

M JUBE 64

Reaction score
So

what do you think? I like mine more all the time. Actually taking it to a gig on the 10th.
I love it! it's easy to dial in. very smooth saturation when cranking it some to full out balls to wall dimed. (which I can't do that much because of neighbors) I need to sound proof a room in my house. Super pleased with this amp and for me, it's the best 20 watt amp out there.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Wanted to give an update!

So I was out of commission for a little over a week with the flu, it kicked my ass pretty good. I've slowly felt better day by day for the past 3 or 4 days and just now feeling myself again.

I was cleaning around the house and figured I NEEDED to try the HDRX 20 with my 4x12 which has been furniture for the past few months... WOW! I gotta give props to @solarburn for inspiring me with his clips of his Iconic and 4x12... Even with the cheap stock speakers in my cheap ass Acoustic (brand) 4x12, GC blew them out for $100 brand new about 11 years ago, beyond worth the money as I've gigged thrown the hell out of this poor cab... Anyways, the stock speakers suprisingly have a very Celestion/Greenback character and the HDRX 20 just roared thru it.

Then I decided to throw a hodgepodge of my speakers in it and see what it sounds like. My Scumback H55-PVC, Eminence Wizard and a very broken in G12M70 along with one remaining stock speaker.... Wow! Blown away, sounds amazing, more amazing than it already sounded with the 1x12... 4x12 is just necessary for THAT sound. The Scumback is the dominant speaker which surprised me as Eminence tout the Wizard has a sensitivity of 103db or something around that. The Scumback is front and center and then the Wizard compliments it beautifully (The Wizard actually sounds VERY similar to the Scumback but brighter/sharper which is probably due to it's cone hz, the Scumback is fuller and more present but both sound VERY close to a vintage G12H. The G12M70 on it's own in the 1x12 was kinda underwhelming, not awful or not even bad, decent but has some traits that may not be favorable BUT it makes a great filler speaker and actually seems to fill some space somewhere with the two H speakers. The Acoustic branded speaker is the least efficient but again, compliments and fills out the sound of the 2 dominating H speakers.

Overall this hodgepodge of speakers sound suprisingly excellent, I'm pretty blown away so I know I need to upgrade the 2 filler speakers! I've already ordered a 2nd H55-PVC from Jim and will pick up another Wizard. So far I like the Wizard on the bottom and the Scumback on top, I'll arrange the 4x12 with Scumbacks top and Wizards on the bottom... Can't wait as the HDRX 20 is just tone NIRVANA with this set up already and can't wait to hear it with proper loaded 4x12.

The HDRX 20 is a STEAL at it's current price and I HIGHLY recommend anyone interested to hop on it before the prices possibly increase. The HDRX 20 immediately took me back to my experience with an early 70s Superlead I was fortunate to jam on for a night. PRS and his team really accomplished an amazing feat, this truly sounds and feels like a mini plexi, much more than the SV20 imo. The master volume is is incredible too, I jam on the HDRX 20 all hours of the day and night, it's hands down the best sounding MV as the tone stays bright, snappy, punchy and clear even below tv volume. I want to say again the Mid switch and bright cap switch are great features. You can bounce between Jimi's modified tone to a more traditional Superlead voicing with a flip of a switch. I find with the Mid switch down I can capture more of Jimi's earlier tones and up you get that clear, cutting unique tone Jimi had live from '69 until his passing.

Wow, sorry to hear that. I thought mine had that problem, then it turned out just to be a Catalinbread delay I was using (quickly dumped on reverb). The mid gain switch brings one cap in and out, that's all it does, Paul says so in a video (so I put the same thing in my Granger 50 watt). Maybe a bad cap? I would strongly consider exchanging it. I've seen these "mystery problems" disappear for a long time only to return at very inopportune moments.
I'm happy yours turned out to just be the pedal! Unfortunately my hum has come back and I really need to get it exchanged asap BUT admit I've been so busy playing it I've procrastinated 😄 I know if I don't exchange it I'll always have that paranoia it will get worse or become permanent.

I'll contact the shop today and see what the plan will be.

Enjoy man! It's an amazing amp!

solarburn

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wanted to give an update!

So I was out of commission for a little over a week with the flu, it kicked my ass pretty good. I've slowly felt better day by day for the past 3 or 4 days and just now feeling myself again.

I was cleaning around the house and figured I NEEDED to try the HDRX 20 with my 4x12 which has been furniture for the past few months... WOW! I gotta give props to @solarburn for inspiring me with his clips of his Iconic and 4x12... Even with the cheap stock speakers in my cheap ass Acoustic (brand) 4x12, GC blew them out for $100 brand new about 11 years ago, beyond worth the money as I've gigged thrown the hell out of this poor cab... Anyways, the stock speakers suprisingly have a very Celestion/Greenback character and the HDRX 20 just roared thru it.

Then I decided to throw a hodgepodge of my speakers in it and see what it sounds like. My Scumback H55-PVC, Eminence Wizard and a very broken in G12M70 along with one remaining stock speaker.... Wow! Blown away, sounds amazing, more amazing than it already sounded with the 1x12... 4x12 is just necessary for THAT sound. The Scumback is the dominant speaker which surprised me as Eminence tout the Wizard has a sensitivity of 103db or something around that. The Scumback is front and center and then the Wizard compliments it beautifully (The Wizard actually sounds VERY similar to the Scumback but brighter/sharper which is probably due to it's cone hz, the Scumback is fuller and more present but both sound VERY close to a vintage G12H. The G12M70 on it's own in the 1x12 was kinda underwhelming, not awful or not even bad, decent but has some traits that may not be favorable BUT it makes a great filler speaker and actually seems to fill some space somewhere with the two H speakers. The Acoustic branded speaker is the least efficient but again, compliments and fills out the sound of the 2 dominating H speakers.

Overall this hodgepodge of speakers sound suprisingly excellent, I'm pretty blown away so I know I need to upgrade the 2 filler speakers! I've already ordered a 2nd H55-PVC from Jim and will pick up another Wizard. So far I like the Wizard on the bottom and the Scumback on top, I'll arrange the 4x12 with Scumbacks top and Wizards on the bottom... Can't wait as the HDRX 20 is just tone NIRVANA with this set up already and can't wait to hear it with proper loaded 4x12.

The HDRX 20 is a STEAL at it's current price and I HIGHLY recommend anyone interested to hop on it before the prices possibly increase. The HDRX 20 immediately took me back to my experience with an early 70s Superlead I was fortunate to jam on for a night. PRS and his team really accomplished an amazing feat, this truly sounds and feels like a mini plexi, much more than the SV20 imo. The master volume is is incredible too, I jam on the HDRX 20 all hours of the day and night, it's hands down the best sounding MV as the tone stays bright, snappy, punchy and clear even below tv volume. I want to say again the Mid switch and bright cap switch are great features. You can bounce between Jimi's modified tone to a more traditional Superlead voicing with a flip of a switch. I find with the Mid switch down I can capture more of Jimi's earlier tones and up you get that clear, cutting unique tone Jimi had live from '69 until his passing.

I'm happy yours turned out to just be the pedal! Unfortunately my hum has come back and I really need to get it exchanged asap BUT admit I've been so busy playing it I've procrastinated 😄 I know if I don't exchange it I'll always have that paranoia it will get worse or become permanent.

I'll contact the shop today and see what the plan will be.

Enjoy man! It's an amazing amp!
They betta take care of you. :agreed:

I want to play one of these 20 watters. My kinda sounds too!

Latest posts