NAD Marshall SV20HD7 in da house mfrs!!!! Update 4th of July, video in page 3

junk notes

Reaction score
I´m really enjoying this amp, I finally nailed the fat swedish shredder tone.

Input 1, YJM OD dimed, G12T75, amp dimed with the following settings:
In theory you actually did! a MKII and G12T-75's!
a G12M or G12H (or x2) will get you to have the other side of the coin.
IMHO you will need to pick out an attenuator and really squeeze the Blue out of this killer head.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Woo-hoo! It arrived!

Man if you come across some E34Ls you gotta try them. They added some meat and gain in my Origin20 but in the SV20 it just makes the amp sound bigger, gives it percussion that I just can't get enough of!
I have some spare EL34s in my bin box... I´ll give a try.

In theory you actually did! a MKII and G12T-75's!
a G12M or G12H (or x2) will get you to have the other side of the coin.
IMHO you will need to pick out an attenuator and really squeeze the Blue out of this killer head.
I´ll try with the EVH cab loaded with G12Hs...

And Hell yeah!!! Attenuators are the MFRS best friend, I have a Weber Micro Mass and i´m using it all the time.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Greetings!

I think there´s something weird with the SV20 fx loop. When I engage any reverb pedal it sounds kind of fuzzy. I´ve tried to lower the output from the pedal to the fx return, it makes it less fuzzy, but also lowers the gain - a lot.

No issues with my delay and chorus pedals, but it acts weird with reverb. any hint?

Btw, the amp is full blown dimmed going to the attenuator and then to a 1960A

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Greetings!

I think there´s something weird with the SV20 fx loop. When I engage any reverb pedal it sounds kind of fuzzy. I´ve tried to lower the output from the pedal to the fx return, it makes it less fuzzy, but also lowers the gain - a lot.

No issues with my delay and chorus pedals, but it acts weird with reverb. any hint?

I use a rack mount Lexicon MX300 multi-effect for delay and reverb in the loop, sounds fantastic. I've not yet tried my earlier model ZOOM G3, but expect it to be similar. I'll try it and let you know. You may need to try multiple/various reverbs to find one that plays well! Just curious, where is it in the loop chain? I would put it last in the chain!
Still Rockin'
Gene

BlueX

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Greetings!

I have a Boss RV-6 in the FX loop on my SV20H. Nothing strange or weird at all, regardless if I play the amp at low volume or almost fully cranked through attenuator. I have an expression pedal connected to the RV-6, and there is nothing strange happening when sweeping that pedal.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I have tried a mooer reverb pedal, a digitech RP360 and I was kind of lazy to try it with my lexicon mpx100. I´ll keep trying...

Moony

Reaction score
And there's a "heavily modded JCA20H" in your signature - I like that!
It's a shame these amps were discontinued - so much value for the money and great modding platforms! :)

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
And there's a "heavily modded JCA20H" in your signature - I like that!
It's a shame these amps were discontinued - so much value for the money and great modding platforms! :)
I bought mine just for modding it, to learn and ¨build a better amp¨ and I did it with the help of Brian Boyd from Epic amps. I really dig it. I have Done the Phill X, recap, loop, depth knob, mid sweep and variable NFB.

I didn't know what to expect when I got mine, but I was totally blown away! :yesway:
I was expecting some swedish shredder tone, without blowing my attenuator or going to jail.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
I have a 2x12 that was in my storage that may be a very nice match to the mini plexi from hell...

I´m thinking about installing 2x G12T75 or 2x EVH Celestion in this cab... 2x V30 or 2x Neo V-Type might be an option too... I have these speakers available... I think the G12T75 would be bullet proof and I would install 2x v30 in X pattern in the 1960A

WhatsApp Image 2022-07-03 at 00.43.47.jpeg

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I've got the Lynch Mod on my SC 800. Either Hot Mod/LM? Worth it in spades.
Is that because a 100W JCM above level 3 on the master starts to become unbearable in how loud it gets so fast? So compensates with more gain from the pre-amp tubes?

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I´m having tons of fun, the amp delivers exactly what I was expecting.

I've not noticed any more talk of modding this SV20, since the first few posts of this thread? :p I'm lovin' mine through '72 B-box of greenbacks!
Just Screechin' & Squawkin'
Gene

junk notes

Reaction score
I've not noticed any more talk of modding this SV20, since the first few posts of this thread? :p I'm lovin' mine through '72 B-box of greenbacks!
Gene
What mods? My #2 is waiting to be converted to a 1992. Waiting for amp tech to free up in the upcoming months.
Four a several days now trying to tweak playing a Stratocaster through the setup trying to achieve a smoother tone cancelling out those sharp Strat/Tele highs. I have been playing through a mid 70s stack, each cab separately, loaded with BBs., Attenuated and variac'd. Echo and reverb in the loop and just using a preamp up front, going through the A cab sounds very good as does the B cab.
Moving to the 80s GB cab next, then on to another with G12Cs. Currently these tinkerings have been done in lower watt settings.
The 65s sound very good, so when I get to the cab with 75s guessing they will fair well - in high power mode!

junk notes

Reaction score
I have a 2x12 that was in my storage that may be a very nice match to the mini plexi from hell...

I´m thinking about installing 2x G12T75 or 2x EVH Celestion in this cab... 2x V30 or 2x Neo V-Type might be an option too... I have these speakers available... I think the G12T75 would be bullet proof and I would install 2x v30 in X pattern in the 1960A

View attachment 110777
nice! Put that cab sideways for more bass ha!

I with you on getting that fat swedish shredder tone! Although IMHO we will need to play in high power mode moving some air, with some volume pushing those 75s and getting some good tone out of them.
I have heard what a 4x12 75 together with a 4x12 V30 (stack) sounds like, and sounds killer at gigging volumes! (On a personal note, although quite familiar, I do not use V30s or mix speakers in same cab. ..yet. some day I guess;-)

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
Gene
Gene, I don´t think there will be any mods in this amp, it is perfect how it is... at least, it is perfect for my expectations. But if ask me, my major is currently in the amp tech in a major restoration and there will be mods.

nice! Put that cab sideways for more bass ha!

I with you on getting that fat swedish shredder tone! Although IMHO we will need to play in high power mode moving some air, with some volume pushing those 75s and getting some good tone out of them.
I have heard what a 4x12 75 together with a 4x12 V30 (stack) sounds like, and sounds killer at gigging volumes! (On a personal note, although quite familiar, I do not use V30s or mix speakers in same cab. ..yet. some day I guess;-)
this cab is actually horizontal, I have rotated the logo and put it in vertical only. A few days ago I caught myself looking for a vertical cab to match the sv20 and I thought ¨I think that cab that I have in storage might work.¨ then I took some rough measurements from some pictures and my theory was in a good direction. Yesterday I took it home and it was a perfect fit.

The good thing about that logo is that it is attached using em double sided tape, so taking it out is like a breeze.

look, the handles are hidden by the head above.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-07-03 at 00.44.18.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-03 at 00.44.18.jpeg
    185.1 KB · Views: 3
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-07-03 at 00.44.26.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-07-03 at 00.44.26.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 3