NAD - JVM210H ( First 2 weeks impression )

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@OP: I think that if you really gave it a good effort in some manner (e.g. different speakers, different tubes, different guitars, etc.), then it's just better to sell/trade it and move on. I know you've been playing for awhile, so I can believe you have a good idea of what you like and what you don't. In the end, it's your time, money, effort, and gear to do as you please. Good luck with your decision.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
For those who asked about my cab , its a 1982 1960A JCM 800 4x12 with a pair of G12H30's and a pair of Green Backs .

This weekend I'm gonna try a different V2 preamp tube and see how that works out . Its a JAN 5751 that still tests strong .
Play it every day for a month to get your ears used to it, dont play your 6100. Keep searching and dialing, at some point it will click in your head. I remember years ago trying a JVM and liking it but it's been a long while since I even seen one to try.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I see a lot of of discussion about how much gain these amps have. But for me, it's not at all about the amount of gain, but the character of that gain. I can get exactly what I want with a Boss GE-7 EQ and a good overdrive pedal. I can tweak and contour it to my liking, and I typically only use the clean channel on the amp anyway.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
@OP: I think that if you really gave it a good effort in some manner (e.g. different speakers, different tubes, different guitars, etc.), then it's just better to sell/trade it and move on. I know you've been playing for awhile, so I can believe you have a good idea of what you like and what you don't. In the end, it's your time, money, effort, and gear to do as you please. Good luck with your decision.

This. I won't bore anyone with the details, but far too many times in my life I've tried to convince myself that I loved a piece of gear because:

1. Everyone else loves it.
2. It cost a lot of money.
3. It was hard to find.
4. Other.

I'm far more honest these days. I decide very quickly if I love it or not, and if I don't, it's gone. One example is the Boss Katana. I've tried one out about four times now and it still hasn't impressed me. I really wanted to love it because of the price, and I'm glad it works for others, but it just doesn't do it for me.

So if the JVM210H isn't doing it for you, move on. You'll be happier sooner rather than later.

aberry9475

Reaction score
I didn't like my JVM much either when I first got it. It just lacked harmonic content and felt very stiff. But..once you get the master up past noon, the filtering and tubes started to work their magic and it was just right. Nice and punchy, but not saggy. But that's way too loud to play at home usually.

I've taken a drill and soldering iron to mine many times now and am very happy with it even at bedroom volumes, but I wouldn't recommend that route when there's so much else to choose from. I say give it a chance for awhile and if it doesn't grow on you then move on.

MatFnEhUK

Reaction score
It took a couple of simple mods but I’m very happy with my JVM2 now. The negative feedback mod especially, helps to make the amp less sterile. I also think Marshall made the wrong decision choosing the OD2 channel from the JVM4, when it seems the vast majority of people ended up preferring OD1 (myself included). The excessive amount of gain on OD orange and red modes was also an issue for me at first but as others have already mentioned, there are a few ways around that too.

I spend most my time on OD(1) orange mode and I roll off the volume knob on my guitars for clean/crunch. I use channel one mostly for my fuzz pedals and when I want pure cleans.

I had my issues with the fx loop as well but I’ve made my peace with it now. As long as I keep it set to 100% wet and leave it active on all modes, it’s worked very well.

Love my JVM2. I think it’s a great amp imho. I hope you find solutions to your issues as I have.

Cysquatch

Reaction score
Try an ECC823 JJ tube in the first preamp gain position, the one with the metal cover. It takes down the gain of the OD amber and red modes without affecting the OD green or Clean channel modes.

This lets you bring up the OD gain to about 6 or 7 which gives a nice thick tone without all the extreme gain or feedback using the stock preamp tube. The gain thickens up the tone of the OD modes as you increase it. It is a modern tone though, so if you are used to Plexis and JCM800s then it will sound more modern, however the JVM has a tight tone compared to those classic amps so is great for modern high gain stuff.

I tried the ECC823 swap in mine and couldn't really come to like it. It took away a lot of oomph on the OD green for some reason, so I just swapped it back and have come to love it as part of the 2-channel method I described earlier in the thread. Thought I was nuts, but made some scratch recordings of before and after the swap and A/B'd blind and just found the 823 a bit anemic every time. Maybe just that specific 823?
This. I won't bore anyone with the details, but far too many times in my life I've tried to convince myself that I loved a piece of gear because:

1. Everyone else loves it.
2. It cost a lot of money.
3. It was hard to find.
4. Other.

At the end of the day, this is the real answer. Happy to help OP give the JVM a good college try with the best information he can, and have a hard time taking any of the "the JVM is just bad" talk very seriously. But, it's all about taste - after all, there's a reason there's so many flavors of ice cream. I like chocolate, maybe OP likes butter pecan. No hurt feelings there.
I had my issues with the fx loop as well but I’ve made my peace with it now. As long as I keep it set to 100% wet and leave it active on all modes, it’s worked very well.
I had to really fiddle with the fx loop a lot until I found this quote from a post by @MonstersOfTheMidway in an old thread about the issue:

"Here is an excerpt (set in green) of what JVM designer Santiago Alvarez said about the serial/parallel fx loop on the JVM series amps:

...Parallel loops have two paths: the direct signal and the effect signal. The direct signal runs inside the amp (to keep the signal integrity) and the effect signal comes from the Return connector.

JVM parallel loop is designed so roughly with the mix between 0 and 50% the direct signal level is kept constant and the effects signal is increased from completely off to the same level as the direct when the mix is at 50%

Between 50% and 100% wet, the effect signal is kept constant while the direct signal is attenuated until completely disappears (hence it becomes a serial loop).

Now imagine we have a delay in the effects return that only has the delayed signal. We can use the MIX on the back to blend whatever amount of delay we need while keeping the direct signal level by setting the MIX anywhere between 0 and 50%. By doing so we are only increasing the effects while keeping the direct signal so the volume is kept constant. This also works quite well with choruses, flangers and the like (only when the direct signal is eliminated inside the external effects unit. This can be done in many stompboxes by using the stereo output only)

If in the FX return we have the same signal as in the internal path, obviously we are adding the same singal 2 times -> the volume increases when the mix is at 50%. This actually can also be used as a boost if we connect a patch cord between the send and return and adjust the FX MIX to the boost we want.

If those signals are a bit out of phase, then is when we have phasing problems and all those "my fx loop suck" comments, which as we see, are related to an incorrect use of the loop.

In case of the Hush, since both direct and effects signal are the same when the gate is open, we experiment a volume increase but on the same side, the noise reduction is less efficient as some noise is still bypassed with the direct signal.

hope everything is a bit clearer now.
Santiago"

Hopefully that helps you as much as it did me.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
I don't get the complaints about the JVMs being fizzy. Adrian Smith uses the OD1 and OD2 channels on his JVM410H with the gain set around 7 with no problem, and Maiden aren't exactly known as the most aggressive-sounding band around.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
UPDATE !!!!

I got around tonight to swap out V2 with a JAN 5751 and let'r eat !!
Thats a step in the right direction imo ... even just that helped it .

OD channel - Orange Mode was almost too much before , and just buzzy . But now i could roll up the gain to around 1/2 way .
I can't lie boys ... I had a smile going till my son came and told me to turn it down . lol lol

There's hope !!!!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
UPDATE !!!!

I got around tonight to swap out V2 with a JAN 5751 and let'r eat !!
Thats a step in the right direction imo ... even just that helped it .

OD channel - Orange Mode was almost too much before , and just buzzy . But now i could roll up the gain to around 1/2 way .
I can't lie boys ... I had a smile going till my son came and told me to turn it down . lol lol

There's hope !!!!
Mike, which modes did you use most on the 6100?? Again, I ammused to the modes on the 4 channel JVM.
I did the simple (- for you, even simpler!) ned feedback mod with a pot so it is adjustable. Kind of opens up the midrange more, so to speak. More raw sounding. It's worth doing IMO.

The channel 2, I assume Crunch mode red channel 1 on the JVM2, red mode on the JVM4 is like a very hot rodded 800 sorta. Moreso than mode B channel 2 of the 6100. I would think you would really like that mode but not sure how it relates to the JVM 2 series.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Mike, which modes did you use most on the 6100?? Again, I ammused to the modes on the 4 channel JVM.
I did the simple (- for you, even simpler!) ned feedback mod with a pot so it is adjustable. Kind of opens up the midrange more, so to speak. More raw sounding. It's worth doing IMO.

The channel 2, I assume Crunch mode red channel 1 on the JVM2, red mode on the JVM4 is like a very hot rodded 800 sorta. Moreso than mode B channel 2 of the 6100. I would think you would really like that mode but not sure how it relates to the JVM 2 series.
On my 6100 i lived on Channel 2 and pushed it with various custom overdrives i built .
I never used the 3rd channel much , sounded like A$$ imo .
The clean channel was killer !

Sacalait

Reaction score
I've owned a JVM205H for almost 12 years now.

What I like:
Versatility that's all Marshall tone from the beginning to now.
Clean/Crunch Orange and Red Channel
Two programmable master volumes
Two eq stacks for both channels

What I'm not crazy about:
Clean/Crunch Green. It's not like a plexi. Maybe with a mod it could be but stock is a bit too spiked in the 3K area.
Overdrive channel is for the newer players and not my cup of tea. I do find (as some have pointed out) that less gain here is better.

I've kept mine so that says something about what I think about it. And I can compare it to my newer SV20. The SV20 is a recreation of the original and sounds like the original minus the serious bottom end you get from the massive 50 or 100 watters. I like the clean on the SV20 much more. But the JVM can pretty do everything beside the clean plexi chime.

Benito

Reaction score
So I’m just back in the Marshall camp after selling my 210H about a year ago and getting an Amp1.
Suffice to say I’m back with a 205H and can’t wait to gig! My use is as follows.

I see the JVM as a sort of 800 with extras, one of my favourite tone periods was with my old 4010 jcm800 combo and I could get a fantastic sound from that with a few drawbacks, no loop, no switchable boost.

The JVM does all that, so I run the Clean/Crunch on Red with full gain, full volume and 6,6,6 on the tone stack (yes I could go 5’s but that’s not as rock ‘n roll is it?) then I boost that with an SD-1 or a Timmy or something similar, set to a low gain high volume boost so I can get the gain levels I need, but with a WAY lower noise floor than the OD channel, then I’ve got my delay in the insert loop, and master 1/2 set up as a solo boost.

Footswitch is
1 Clean Green (pretty loud but works as low gain crunch tone)
2 Clean Red my main rhythm tone
3 Clean Red plus Master 2 for solos
4 Reverb on/off.

That’s the warmest yet most dynamic way I’ve got to make the JVM work for me so far.
I play punk, classic rock and a bit of 80’s type rock/metal.

Latest posts