NAD - JVM210H ( First 2 weeks impression )

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
Well ... i got a great deal on a LIKE NEW Jvm210h and now have had a 2 week introduction to this amp . I had not played one prior to buying this one . Its clearly a low hr amp as it was built in late 2021 with all the original tubes , minty shape . The option list is pretty good as well these have all the usual features of a modern amp , and i'm happy with all that etc etc . This is my first NEW Marshall head since 1995 when i got a 6100LM Anniversary head . Ive owned several other heads since then ...

So you might be wondering what i think of this amp ??

Well ... I'm not blown away by its clean channel , its good , its ok .
The real let down is the dirty channels imo .
I don't know if its just ME ??? or did i get a BAD one ?? Is it time to retire from playing ??? lol i don't know ....
The OD channels all sound " Synthetic " maybe a bad tern to you use here , but its what it kinda gives me the impression .
And it plagues all the OD channel on all settings . ZERO warmth , Like no TUBE tone ... all BUZZZZZZZZ
I'm gonna name this head BUZZZ ALDRIN lo lol

Is there any MODS to help this ??
Its like we need to trade some gain for more warmth , more tone ???
I wanna LIKE this amp , come on ITS A MARSHALL !!!
But i'm kinda left with a limp member if you know what i mean .... lol

marshall-jvm210h by https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Jubilant

Reaction score
Haven’t played the jvm yet.Sorry to hear it’s not delivering the goods.What cab/speakers have you tried?How about a 5751 tube in V1? I just saw Joe Satriani a few weeks ago and he was using 2 of his signature jvm’s and they were warm sounding and he covered a lot of styles with them so I think there’s hope.Good luck with it.

Neville

Reaction score
Well ... i got a great deal on a LIKE NEW Jvm210h and now have had a 2 week introduction to this amp . I had not played one prior to buying this one . Its clearly a low hr amp as it was built in late 2021 with all the original tubes , minty shape . The option list is pretty good as well these have all the usual features of a modern amp , and i'm happy with all that etc etc . This is my first NEW Marshall head since 1995 when i got a 6100LM Anniversary head . Ive owned several other heads since then ...

I don't know if its just ME ??? or did i get a BAD one ?? Is it time to retire from playing ??? lol i don't know ....
The OD channels all sound " Synthetic " maybe a bad tern to you use here , but its what it kinda gives me the impression .
And it plagues all the OD channel on all settings . ZERO warmth , Like no TUBE tone ... all BUZZZZZZZZ

This proves that:
- Marshall needs a new flagship line
- JVM2 is not a JVM4 reduced to the max, it has not the best sounds of the JVM4 in it

But of course it's also a matter of taste, it sounds as if you don't like modern sounding amps at all. If you don't like it, I would not bother modding it.
You end up spending a lot of cash for something you don't like and then have an amp that is worth nothing when you try to sell it. Get something else.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
That amp has too many knobs and buttons for me. But, in all seriousness, what kind of tomes do you like? Maybe we can make some suggestions.

Neville

Reaction score
That amp has too many knobs and buttons for me. But, in all seriousness, what kind of tomes do you like? Maybe we can make some suggestions.
Gain, Bass, Middle, Treble, Volume, Reverb and three modes per channel...pretty straight forward, especially compared to a 6100 LM.

Only mod I would try is turn back the gain. Find your favourite modes and just don't use the modes you don't like.

LPCustom28

Reaction score
I have one as well, and yes I’ll admit it’s not as warm as some other similar types of amps (harsh in some instances), to the point where I did almost dump it. What type of cab are you using? One thing that did help me keep it off the chopping block (for the time being lol), after using it with a V30 loaded 2x12 cab for a while, was I came across a video of a guy running it through an EVH 4x12 with the evh greenbacks, and the video motivated me to give it another shot (sounded pretty fat on the overdrive channel in particular). I decided to pull the trigger on one of the evh’s, and although some of that harsh/sterile dna was still present, it was worlds away from my initial time with it, to the point where after some further tweaking and adjusting (most importantly don’t blast the gain-around 9 or 10 o’clock is good), it’s the amp I go to first now (also have a Rockerverb and an SC20). Sometimes I do think about whether or not I should’ve opted for the 410 (or something else entirely), but once I plug in one of my LPs, I soon forget about it lol. I will admit the crunch channels could use some major TLC (talk about sterile, clean has been fine), though turning down the resonance does help quite a bit. Though when I do want crunch, I fire up the SC20 and all is well 😅. Hope it ultimately ends up working out for you.

Last edited:

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
Marshall dirt from the JCM800 era onwards almost always needs a Noise Suppressor up front, especially if boosted. Satriani, who even has a signature JVM has said that instead of a reverb, Marshall should have added a noise gate. There are times I don't need a gate with my Marshall but that is more for the Plexi where some tones have some suck going on due to the pedal and wah config. Maybe Marshall felt that the global master controlling the overall volume of the amp could tame your hiss down. I don't know but it seems to me you can have the gain up, the channel volume up and the global master low and still have some hiss. So I would certainly aim for clean powering the amp and gating it first.

When gated you will hear how the amp sounds and if it is still sounding like a lemon then your next option with an amp that is not brand new for returning is to change the tubes. You can do a full set change (which is what a lot of people do buying a used amp) or do the trial-and-error single pre-amp tube replacement. I would change the whole set.

I have a loadbox IR unit so I can test my amp heads against a lot of cabs to see which should sound best. It should sound good there too.

spacerocker

Reaction score
First of all - turn the gain RIGHT DOWN on the OD channel. Even down to 2 or 3...and use the OD orange rather than red mode...

If you don't like the more modern sounding OD channel, use crunch Orange or red. Keep the resonance on zero and turn presence UP Turn the mids up....

Those settings ought to get you some more classic tones....

There are mods that you can do to make the JVM a bit more dynamic and classic sounding (I've done most of them!) - but learning how to dial it in is a good starting point!

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I owned a JVM410 for a few years, the flagship head. I just never fell in love with it. Then back last year I got a JCM 2000 DSL 100, and I'm going "Where have you been all my life?!" If I had only known. Clean, Lead, Crunch, you name it. I love this amp and I'm considering getting another one as a backup.

And to be honest, the 4-channel thing never did it for me. I just don't see the point.

spacerocker

Reaction score
And to be honest, the 4-channel thing never did it for me. I just don't see the point.

Well - it all depends on what you need, and how you want to achieve it?

When I was looking for a new amp in 2009, I wanted one which had 3 channels - Clean, Crunch and Lead I had tried a JCM2000 in a music shop a few years earlier, and didn't like the sound, so when the JVM came out, I ordered one on spec, even though it seemed a little OTT for my needs..

Now I use the following

Clean Green - Intros and quiet bits
Crunch Green - Cleanish classic rock, e.g. Some Hendrix and Pink Floyd
Crunch Orange - Classic rock e.g Cream
Crunch Red - harder rock/Old school metal
OD1 Orange - High gain rock, intros, Feedback Endings
OD2 Orange - my lead channel. Volume boost, echo in the loop - amazing!

Admittedly my JVMs have some mods to make them a bit more "open" sounding and more dynamic, but I love the fact that I have 4 independent channels, with separate gain, EQ and volume settings.....

This sort of flexibility would now be my minimum requirement if I was ever to buy another new amp!

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Well - it all depends on what you need, and how you want to achieve it?

When I was looking for a new amp in 2009, I wanted one which had 3 channels - Clean, Crunch and Lead I had tried a JCM2000 in a music shop a few years earlier, and didn't like the sound, so when the JVM came out, I ordered one on spec, even though it seemed a little OTT for my needs..

Now I use the following

Clean Green - Intros and quiet bits
Crunch Green - Cleanish classic rock, e.g. Some Hendrix and Pink Floyd
Crunch Orange - Classic rock e.g Cream
Crunch Red - harder rock/Old school metal
OD1 Orange - High gain rock, intros, Feedback Endings
OD2 Orange - my lead channel. Volume boost, echo in the loop - amazing!

Admittedly my JVMs have some mods to make them a bit more "open" sounding and more dynamic, but I love the fact that I have 4 independent channels, with separate gain, EQ and volume settings.....

This sort of flexibility would now be my minimum requirement if I was ever to buy another new amp!
That's just it. Two channels are all I need. I need Clean, of course, but the switch between Crunch and Lead is done with pedal settings, not on the amp.

KidBlast

Reaction score
I have one, and I say spacerocker's advice is sage.

The OD on these amps is a bit on the heavy handed, a little bit on the gain dial gets you a long way to "there" if you ask me, and the RED setting is very tricky to control.

CVS

Reaction score
Hello All,
I own a JVM410H Satriani-version , i didn't buy it because of the name but because of the noisegate's in stead of the reverbs. And because i'm in a cover band i can use the 4 channels very well !
I once read in Guitarworld magazine an article where they interviewed sound engineers who work a lot with live bands and i always remembered one mentioning he starts by putting everything on 2 o'clock (and it works well for most of my channels/amps) and start from there in stead of with everything at noon ...
Maybe worth trying ? of course gain and volume are personal but with eq it works for me ...

Cysquatch

Reaction score
I've had a JVM205H for about a year or more now, and I went through the same anti-honeymoon phase with it initially, but now that I've spent the time to nail it down, I absolutely love the amp. A few key pointers that I've figured out to help dial in what you're looking for are:

1) Forget OD orange and red, unless you are wanting truly extreme gain. Especially with the amp's penchant for noise, they border on totally unusable. Red is just silly to me. I find OD green is my happy place, speaking of...

2) Treat OD green sort of like a JCM800. For me anyway, it behaves mostly like you'd expect there. Dime the gain and channel volumes, and twist the mid and treble up higher than looks right and don't overdo the bass and resonance. Take a little time to wind your treble and presence knobs back and forth countering each other, and you can get a mountain of cut and bite without being fizzy.

3) Don't judge it at low volume. Despite the master volumes being pretty usable, the amp really opens up and can get the good kind of spongy pretty quickly up the dial depending upon the mode and settings. I'm blessed to have a rehearsal space in which I'm usually at about 1:00-2:30 on the masters and have frequently been able to run it wide open. Not only will the amp respond a little better, it's going to give you more of what you expect as the cones are moving more air.

4) The clean/crunch channel is about compromise. The circuit for the clean green mode is basically a deluxe reverb, and if you approach it with that knowledge, you can coax some incredible jangly, sparkly tones out of it. However, I find the disparity in EQ response and gain structure between the green and orange, let alone red, modes of the first channel make it really difficult to dial it in for all three modes perfectly - or even two.

Essentially, I treat it like a standard two channel amp that has options, not so much a super mode-hopping chimaera. 90% of my playing is distorted, and about 90% of that is on OD green dimed up, with an SD-1 to push for solos. With a JB in the bridge and stacked on top of my ratty old Orange 4x12 with UK V30s and GWS Vet30s, it's got me in my own little corner of the tones from the Rust In Peace and Countdown to Extinction albums - which was the goal.

The first channel is mostly set for a really clean F-style sparkle on the green mode. Occasionally I'll kick it up to orange or red for a little spongier mid-gain classic rock sound, but I have better luck using my knock-off JCM800 settings above on the second channel and coming back on the guitar's volume knob.

While it's not an entire rack of heads in one box like I originally hoped, it has let me dial in my brand of two  very disparate classic sounds that I absolutely love with all the added loops and switching and midi, and gadgets I could ask for. Is it worth it brand new? Nah, I'd just get a JCM800 and live with subpar cleans. But I got mine minty for $1300 with the cover, foot switch, and all that jazz and to me that's been an absolute steal.

Last edited:

jimmyo

Reaction score
Try an ECC823 JJ tube in the first preamp gain position, the one with the metal cover. It takes down the gain of the OD amber and red modes without affecting the OD green or Clean channel modes.

This lets you bring up the OD gain to about 6 or 7 which gives a nice thick tone without all the extreme gain or feedback using the stock preamp tube. The gain thickens up the tone of the OD modes as you increase it. It is a modern tone though, so if you are used to Plexis and JCM800s then it will sound more modern, however the JVM has a tight tone compared to those classic amps so is great for modern high gain stuff.

rocker68

Reaction score
Great suggestions. Sample as many variables as you can. Turn gain down. Roll speakers, pwr tubes, pre tubes. Channel one green is fabulous for pedals. Bias,bias,bias. JVM is capable of many tones. Takes homework. Not a light switch at first. Gigs well, records well. Good luck.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I owned a JVM410 for a few years, the flagship head. I just never fell in love with it. Then back last year I got a JCM 2000 DSL 100, and I'm going "Where have you been all my life?!" If I had only known. Clean, Lead, Crunch, you name it. I love this amp and I'm considering getting another one as a backup.

Agreed on the 4 channels, l would never use 4 channels. I prefer single channel or at the most 2 channels.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

Not going to bash on the JVM too much, but there has to be a reason the old JVM forum seemed to be heavily focused on modding the JVM to sound & feel better. I gave my 410 a good run, but after a couple of years, and many mods, I moved it on. The 2203x does what I want, haven't done a single internal mod (but did add a Hot Mod V2).

Last edited: