NAD: A Frickin' Bassbreaker 45

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I've been curious as to what the guitar community thinks of the Bassbreaker 45 and have been completely shocked how mixed the feedback has been. It feels like the Vintage Modern all over again and it seems because it falls between a Fender and a Marshall that fans of either brand have a hard time accepting it. I notice Marshall fans generally claim it doesn't really sound like a Marshall and Fender fans again seem to claim it doesn't really sound like a Fender but that first one really surprised me. After almost 2 weeks with it I still can't believe this amp isn't highly regarded especially with fans of early Marshalls, especially JTM45s. It is probably the best affordable alternative to a JTM45 and with it's powerscaling makes it extremely versatile. I see a lot of people give it flak for no effects loop and I can understand that but with the whole old school vibe of the amp I agree with Fender decision. This amp really feels and plays like an old school non master volume amp but again with that powerscaling, you can actually crank it for that sweet beautiful EL34 poweramp distortion.

Idk, I have been extremely impressed with this amp from the moment I saw it and think it's an amazing concept. The '59 Bassman is legendary, it was so highly regarded in the blues circles I used to mingle in. It's popularity amongst rock and blues guitarist since it's inception has proven how special it is, let alone giving birth to Marshall and evolving into our favorite sound. I think the Bassbreaker 45 in my mind is such a home run idea and the fact it's generally regarded so mediocre right now truly baffles me. I find it interesting how much the guitar and amp consumer base changes and in a way goes in phases... I guess thats just true with everything but it's very much how I felt and feel about the Vintage Modern. It was an amazing concept and executed very well but faced a lot of resistance, criticism and confusion, it is rather fascinating to go back and read threads from around it's release.... Anyways, as a die hard Marshall fan of 18 years I really love and respect this offering from Fender, it truly does everything I want and need from an amp. I'd say the Origin and the SV20 are close but the BB45 just hit THE spot.

I'm going to get some demos going here soon, I am having a blast with what I can get out of this beauty.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've been curious as to what the guitar community thinks of the Bassbreaker 45 and have been completely shocked how mixed the feedback has been. It feels like the Vintage Modern all over again and it seems because it falls between a Fender and a Marshall that fans of either brand have a hard time accepting it. I notice Marshall fans generally claim it doesn't really sound like a Marshall and Fender fans again seem to claim it doesn't really sound like a Fender but that first one really surprised me. After almost 2 weeks with it I still can't believe this amp isn't highly regarded especially with fans of early Marshalls, especially JTM45s. It is probably the best affordable alternative to a JTM45 and with it's powerscaling makes it extremely versatile. I see a lot of people give it flak for no effects loop and I can understand that but with the whole old school vibe of the amp I agree with Fender decision. This amp really feels and plays like an old school non master volume amp but again with that powerscaling, you can actually crank it for that sweet beautiful EL34 poweramp distortion.

Idk, I have been extremely impressed with this amp from the moment I saw it and think it's an amazing concept. The '59 Bassman is legendary, it was so highly regarded in the blues circles I used to mingle in. It's popularity amongst rock and blues guitarist since it's inception has proven how special it is, let alone giving birth to Marshall and evolving into our favorite sound. I think the Bassbreaker 45 in my mind is such a home run idea and the fact it's generally regarded so mediocre right now truly baffles me. I find it interesting how much the guitar and amp consumer base changes and in a way goes in phases... I guess thats just true with everything but it's very much how I felt and feel about the Vintage Modern. It was an amazing concept and executed very well but faced a lot of resistance, criticism and confusion, it is rather fascinating to go back and read threads from around it's release.... Anyways, as a die hard Marshall fan of 18 years I really love and respect this offering from Fender, it truly does everything I want and need from an amp. I'd say the Origin and the SV20 are close but the BB45 just hit THE spot.

I'm going to get some demos going here soon, I am having a blast with what I can get out of this beauty.
I've always liked the Bassbreaker and was an advocate, in particular I liked the 15 watt amp. I never knew the 45 had power scaling, I guess I never looked that closely cuz I have no need for a 45 watt combo, where is the power scaling I dont see it in any pictures? Any way, I thought these amps sound pretty good if you didnt want to spend the money on a Marshall, I'm glad you're enjoying it! :yesway:

Last edited:

Crikey

Reaction score
Huge shout out to @FracStrat for helping make this happen and providing a good home for my former Vintage Modern 2266H.

I noticed this amp showed up recently at my local guitar store, I've been reading about them and really liked the idea and concept behind it. So when I saw it sitting there I just had to take it for a spin... Well.... I'm sure you guys know how that goes! I fell in love with it and began dreaming about it, the usual "oh yes, it will be mine" but I had just bought some pedals and had to adult... So I decided to sacrifice my Vintage Modern and take a chance on the Bassbreaker 45.

full

Well I couldn't be happier, the Bassbreaker 45 really "nails" those Bassman/JTM45 tones and being the Hendrix worshipper that I am, this amp just sounds perfect for my obsession. Paired with my Fuzz Face clone, I am getting goosebumps with the Hendrix tones I am achieving.

OH YEAH!!! The coolest part is the built in attenuation, just an awesome feature I feel every amp should have standard, you can dial from 45 watts down to 1 watt... Just super versatile for a NMV amp, you can dial in the headroom exactly as you need.

Ok guys, I'm ready for my flogging but go easy on me, atleast I chose the Fender Marshall!
Blasphemy!!!! How dare you! (someone post a Greta meme pic)

What?

Reaction score
If these amps weren't built so badly, I likely would have at least taken one for test drive in the past. But Fender obviously didn't give a shit about either robustness or serviceability. And on a minor point, what's up with the bubbly knobs and white LED lamp? I see this amp being aimed at people who need a do-it-all type amp, which is especially appealing to working musicians. But if it can't be relied upon (as told by many reported breakings) and isn't reasonably serviceable, that just leaves bedroom players who want something on the cheap side and don't understand why an amp should be built in a more robust and internally accessible way for techs. They find out why after the thing breaks.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
If these amps weren't built so badly, I likely would have at least taken one for test drive in the past. But Fender obviously didn't give a shit about either robustness or serviceability. And on a minor point, what's up with the bubbly knobs and white LED lamp? I see this amp being aimed at people who need a do-it-all type amp, which is especially appealing to working musicians. But if it can't be relied upon (as told by many reported breakings) and isn't reasonably serviceable, that just leaves bedroom players who want something on the cheap side and don't understand why an amp should be built in a more robust and internally accessible way for techs. They find out why after the thing breaks.
I appreciate your reply but do find it kind of humorous, every time I've researched or read threads on the Bassbreakers there is always 1 guy that speaks like you, very passionately against the amp and Fender... Did your 007 hum?...

I have yet to find any substantial amount of failures reported across most popular online forums. Yes you see the occasional issue but that is true with nearly every product. Also I have yet to find a reporting of a 45 failure, seems the issues reported were in the 007 and 15, I wouldn't condem the whole line nor Fender for this.

I love the style of the amp, the white light and bubbly knobs are actually really cool in my opinion and very different from anything else.

I really hope in a way this thread may open some people's minds to the Bassbreaker 45... To be honest I don't care about the other ones, it's all about the 45 watt Bassman circuit with EL34s. I think your opinion while valid is a little personal between you and the amps/Fender and I always see 1 guy with this view... Is it you? Haha anyways... I'm not worried.

What?

Reaction score
I have zero personal issues with Fender. I have said the same sorts of things about Marshall, Vox, and Peavey products, as well as models of guitars, pedals, and processors of various brands. My issue is with crap made products, no matter who makes them. ;) It seems these days that some Asian companies are making better products than the big names (who have higher prices and contract Asian companies to build their products) and this is gradually making the big names obsolete. Big names seem to want more and more to sell us crap products at high profits. Asian companies seem more and more to be selling high quality products at lesser prices. My Ceriatone amp is a good example here.

I haven't owned a Bassbreaker 45, so I'm just going on my general impression of Bassbreakers where there have been many reports of them breaking and / or having issues out of the box, as well as the very bad chassis design that these amps use that looks like it will cause heat issues and not be practically serviceable by local techs. Fender probably saved themselves $5 per unit with this crappy chassis design, for which customers would very likely not give a shit about paying $5 for the better design.

And no, those bubbly knobs and white light are bad design too. And the white LED especially, as those things cause glare.

Even the name is bad design. Make an amp line that tends to break and have other issues and put 'breaker' in the name. :lol:

Fender can do much better than this. I have a Super Reverb and Twin Reverb that proves it. I want to see Fender do better than this. They have made some killer amps over the years.

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
I think what is funny here is that every so many months, one of these crap undesirable products is pimped on a forum. And when people pipe in about why they won't buy them, 'users' defend all the crappy design decisions. ;)

The only way for potential customers to turn the situation around of manufacturers making crappy products is not to buy crap products and make it known why.

Last edited:

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I think what is funny here is that every so many months, one of these crap undesirable products is pimped on a forum. And when people pipe in about why they won't buy them, 'users' defend all the crappy design decisions. ;)

The only way for potential customers to turn the situation around of manufacturers making crappy products is not to buy crap products and make it known why.
I feel you're coming off very biased, you are making these statements on what you've read on the web and I believe in another thread you mentioned your amp techs opinion.

I am an automotive technician and worked as dealer service and repair technician for over 7 years. You have to understand you are going to see people be more outspoken and willing to make the effort to post or speak out online or anywhere when they have a faulty product. I worked for Hyundai for 6 years and we saw constant work flow, if you were closed minded you'd think Hyundais were horrible cars by that perspective but when I looked at the big picture of it and compared how many cars we saw compared to how many we sold you realize actually a small percentage were faulty. Is there better cars out there? Definitely but this same equation can be applied to any manufacture I worked for. You'd think EVERY car make and model was a lemon if you focused solely on those that have had issues...

I know trying to explain this perspective is probably pointless as you are very passionate about your opinion.

I'm not defending this particular amp or Fender but looking at the situation and your opinions with logic. You see issues with every amp manufacturer, it is a result of mass production and I can easily pull up 100s of threads about faulty Marshalls, Vox, Mesa and specific models of each brand. I see you expressing how "crappy" they are but find little proof when digging for it online. I have I found threads and discussion about people having issues but nothing alarming or to lead me to believe this model is inherently worse than any other mass produced amplifier. The only issues I see come up multiple times were humming issues in the 007 and 15 models, where are all the failed amp discussions? Especially the 45? If you want to lump the 45 into the unrelated issues of 007 or 15 then thats just ignorant. Either way your opinion is not very credible in my opinion and again it comes off personal and not factual.

If you could add your opinion with articulate in depth reasoning it would be more credible and helpful than "they are crap, I saw it on the internet".

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I think it's funny that you talk s#!+ about amps you don't own, talk s#!+ about just about every major amp brand on the market, and on another thread, you just bought a s#!+ KDL amp kit from China.

Sorry, not following your logic train.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I feel you're coming off very biased, you are making these statements on what you've read on the web and I believe in another thread you mentioned your amp techs opinion.

I am an automotive technician and worked as dealer service and repair technician for over 7 years. You have to understand you are going to see people be more outspoken and willing to make the effort to post or speak out online or anywhere when they have a faulty product. I worked for Hyundai for 6 years and we saw constant work flow, if you were closed minded you'd think Hyundais were horrible cars by that perspective but when I looked at the big picture of it and compared how many cars we saw compared to how many we sold you realize actually a small percentage were faulty. Is there better cars out there? Definitely but this same equation can be applied to any manufacture I worked for. You'd think EVERY car make and model was a lemon if you focused solely on those that have had issues...

I know trying to explain this perspective is probably pointless as you are very passionate about your opinion.

I'm not defending this particular amp or Fender but looking at the situation and your opinions with logic. You see issues with every amp manufacturer, it is a result of mass production and I can easily pull up 100s of threads about faulty Marshalls, Vox, Mesa and specific models of each brand. I see you expressing how "crappy" they are but find little proof when digging for it online. I have I found threads and discussion about people having issues but nothing alarming or to lead me to believe this model is inherently worse than any other mass produced amplifier. The only issues I see come up multiple times were humming issues in the 007 and 15 models, where are all the failed amp discussions? Especially the 45? If you want to lump the 45 into the unrelated issues of 007 or 15 then thats just ignorant. Either way your opinion is not very credible in my opinion and again it comes off personal and not factual.

If you could add your opinion with articulate in depth reasoning it would be more credible and helpful than "they are crap, I saw it on the internet".
You dont have to type so much, just reply "to each their own" LOL

I gotcha buddy, I'm happy for you! :yesway:

What?

Reaction score

You might need to try a different search engine. If you're having a hard time finding anything about what I'm saying about Bassbreakers, google is probably filter bubbling you. Here are a couple of links that sum things up.

New bassbreaker breaking during a demo
youtu.be/rsSkHqnOz4Y&t=195s

Bassbreaker chassis design
youtu.be/AL02icsWjrE&t=158s

And an amp tech attempting to repair a Bassbreaker
youtu.be/cX6vtCLoiP4&t=345s

To each their own, I guess. I won't buy this sort of product and I would suggest others not buy them until the major design flaw is addressed.

Last edited:

What?

Reaction score
I think it's funny that you talk s#!+ about amps you don't own, talk s#!+ about just about every major amp brand on the market, and on another thread, you just bought a s#!+ KDL amp kit from China.

Sorry, not following your logic train.

I like the good products made by any company, Fender, Marshall, whoever, just the same as anyone else. It's not about dogging on companies. It's about avoiding products by any company that have major flaws until those flaws are addressed. I'm reminded here of major flaws from the automotive industry that have continued on to new years of the same models. For example, anyone remember the Ford Triton engines blowing spark plugs out of the heads? That kept on going on for years because people kept buying them without enough noise from owners about the flawed design.

Yep, I bought a KLD amp *kit* because I want to have a hand at amp building with little financial risk. I'm in for just over $200 for a 25 watt JCM800 style kit and chassis. And if it works out it will be a hell of a bargain. And if it is crap, I will let the forum know about it just the same. ;) I'm waiting for the kit to arrive, but the handwired design at least looks to be much more robust than say the SC20 that is built on pcb's. And yes, the kit components are made in China. Where do you think the components for the SC20 and SV20 amps are made? ;)

Take a look at these shots and tell me which looks to be more robust, components and design.

Marshall Studio Vintage (SV20)
https://abload.de/img/marshallstudiovintageevkwq.jpg

KLD JCM 25
https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...upersize/v1605827603/etdkiozxbh4mqtwi0lul.jpg

What I see there in the Marshall is miniature components, multiple pcb's, lots of push-on connectors (not soldered), pcb mounted tube sockets, plastic body pcb mounted pots, ic's. And then with the KLD kit there is full size components (better handling of heat), main eyelet board (no pcb traces to crack), all soldered connections (better reliability), chassic mounted tube sockets (no direct heat to the board), metal body pots (not going to crack), no ic's (classic all tube amp design).

Last edited:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the good products made by any company, Fender, Marshall, whoever, just the same as anyone else. It's not about dogging on companies. It's about avoiding products by any company that have major flaws until those flaws are addressed. I'm reminded here of major flaws from the automotive industry that have continued on to new years of the same models. For example, anyone remember the Ford Triton engines blowing spark plugs out of the heads? That kept on going on for years because people kept buying them without enough noise from owners about the flawed design.

Yep, I bought a KLD amp *kit* because I want to have a hand at amp building with little financial risk. I'm in for just over $200 for a 25 watt JCM800 style kit and chassis. And if it works out it will be a hell of a bargain. And if it is crap, I will let the forum know about it just the same. ;) I'm waiting for the kit to arrive, but the handwired design at least looks to be much more robust than say the SC20 that is built on pcb's. And yes, the kit components are made in China. Where do you think the components for the SC20 and SV20 amps are made? ;)

Take a look at these shots and tell me which looks to be more robust, components and design.

Marshall Studio Vintage (SV20)
https://abload.de/img/marshallstudiovintage5hkzr.jpg

KLD JCM 25
https://images.reverb.com/image/upl...upersize/v1605827603/etdkiozxbh4mqtwi0lul.jpg
I wish you the best on your amp build, that's not something I'll be trying anytime soon.

I'm glad MB is stoked about his new amp.

I should have said, if you want to complain about an amp design or a manufacturer's build quality, start a new thread on the topic.
Not sure why you feel the need to dump on an amp in someone's NAD thread.
I hope no one dumps on your amp build thread if you post one.

What?

Reaction score
I'm glad MB is stoked about his new amp.

I should have said, if you want to complain about an amp design or a manufacturer's build quality, start a new thread on the topic.
Not sure why you feel the need to dump on an amp in someone's NAD thread.
I hope no one dumps on your amp build thread if you post one.

It wasn't my intention at all to rain on a NAD thread. Maggot Brain asked about why there are so many mixed opinions on Bassbreakers, and my first post in this thread was a response to that question. I haven't seen anything significant in way of complaints of the voicing of Bassbreakers. I have seen lots of complaints about extraneous noise, poor reliability, and chassis design that is anti-serviceable for the Bassbreaker line of amps. And so there are the reasons for such a high degree of mixed opinions.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
You dont have to type so much, just reply "to each their own" LOL

I gotcha buddy, I'm happy for you! :yesway:

Agreed but it's not his opinion I have an issue with, it's the parroting of misinformation. It's like a pet peeve of mine because I constantly see it in today's society and with how much influence the internet has over people. I had taken his original post and looked into whether or not he has a point on the quality or reliability issues he strongly depicts and states but found that about 95% were people parroting the same information with minimal post containing to anyone actually having an issue. Yes there appears to be reports of hum in the early 007 heads and another noise issue pertaining to the effects loop on the 15 but even then the reports were nothing alarming when you put it into perspective and use logic. It seems those few that did report a problem and complained about it online created a snowball effect of people parroting the "ALL Bassbreakers are faulty!" and several click bait oriented videos on YouTube again parroted for content and views.

In all honesty I do not see anything online that leads me to believe any of the amp line is faulty and want to share my research amongst this thread so if anyone reading it can use their own judgment and not just go off of what someone is repeating without scope and understanding.

I blame social media and especially YouTube and those gimmick programmer's click bait websites that use disinformation to aquire clicks (clicks=ad revenue). I also believe people need to be skeptical of everything they read on the internet and go thru the trouble and effort to come to their own conclusions. It's so much easier to watch a YouTube video that tells you what to think than it is to invest time investigating it yourself.