[NAD] 1987x arrived today!

rolijen

Reaction score
I already have an SV20H matched with an SV212 and have been enjoying a return to Plexiville over the past few months. But, I miss the 1959 SLP I used to play back in the day. No way do I need 100 (or even 50) watts these days, but a deal fell in my lap on a brand new, open box 1987x (from a dealer, w warranty). So, I went for it.

Arrived today. It is very similar to the SV but has more of everything. Through my 1960BX (w greenbacks), it is just awesome. Effortless Trower, Zep, RCA-era Scorps, early Priest tones. I love the touch dynamics and glassy cleans I can get by rolling back the guitar volume.

Feeling fortunate!

Anyone tried a JHS volume knob in the loop? How does that compare to attenuation?

Thanks in advance!

Roli

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
I already have an SV20H matched with an SV212 and have been enjoying a return to Plexiville over the past few months. But, I miss the 1959 SLP I used to play back in the day. No way do I need 100 (or even 50) watts these days, but a deal fell in my lap on a brand new, open box 1987x (from a dealer, w warranty). So, I went for it.

Arrived today. It is very similar to the SV but has more of everything. Through my 1960BX (w greenbacks), it is just awesome. Effortless Trower, Zep, RCA-era Scorps, early Priest tones. I love the touch dynamics and glassy cleans I can get by rolling back the guitar volume.

Feeling fortunate!

Anyone tried a JHS volume knob in the loop? How does that compare to attenuation?

Thanks in advance!

Roli
I’ve used a passive volume box in mine. Works ok. Possible to get decent tones at lower volume if you play with it. I have also used a Weber mass and a Hotplate but nothing beats letting it run free. Volume knob in the loop is obviously much cheaper.

I think I burned out my 100 watt Mass on it. After a while it just sounded terrible no matter what EQ settings I used but it initially worked well and lasted a couple of years.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score

Feeling fortunate!

Thanks in advance!

Roli
Best used to take a little volume off the top not for bedroom volume.

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
One thing the volume box does well is provides for a great way to get a volume boost for a solo without adding extra gain. Use the volume box in the loop along with a c lean boost, reduce the volume 25% or so. You might be able hear a tone difference if you flip back and forth from 75% to 100% full on but I find on my SV20H the difference is negligible. Being able to hit the clean boost really jumps to volume up, maybe adds a bit of gain but that's okay, helps those solos sing. I run mine FX send>clean boost>volume box>FX return.

Without the volume box added, the clean boost just compresses and saturates more.
I’ll give the volume box a try in the loop asap. Thanks.

jeffb

Reaction score
Congrats. My fave Marshall amp. I miss mine and I am jealous.

Does yours have an FX Loop? (i.e. xl or old X model?)

Last edited:

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Congrats on your new 1987X!
I have the SV20H and picked up a used 1987X a few months ago. Sadly, my 87X had been modded a bit. I think they were going for more of a JTM45 tone, less gain and darker sounding. It does sound really nice though. Has a beautiful clean tone to it. I am going to eventually take it to my amp tech and have it put back to factory spec. I owned an 1987 way back in the late 90s and this one didn't sound the same as I remember.
I did run the SV20H preamp into it's FX return...…. oh, that is much closer to what I remember a 1987 to sound like.
Id' be curious, if you could run your SVs pre into the FX return of your 87X. Does it sound the same as just the 87X?

jeffb

Reaction score
Fwiw- The 1987plexi RI is based on a 1972/73 metalface circuit. I had the original run version after the S was pulled off the market and played it for many years (not long enough).

The SLP is based on 800 series 4 holer 1959. The 1987x were much brighter and raunchy. IDK if the XL version has changed though?

The SV is based on the SLP, I thought?

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Congrats on the new amp!

A question, how does the SLP compare to a 1974 JMP MKII NMV 4-hole input amp?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Feeling fortunate!

Thanks in advance!

Roli
The JHS in the loop with my high treble volume dimed gets classic rock low gain crunch Zep/ACDC, anything gainier you'll need an OD pedal.

rolijen

Reaction score
Congrats. My fave Marshall amp. I miss mine and I am jealous.

Does yours have an FX Loop? (i.e. xl or old X model?)
Thank you! I’m enjoying it a lot. Yes. It has a switchable fx loop. You can bypass it or engage it.

rolijen

Reaction score
Congrats on your new 1987X!
I have the SV20H and picked up a used 1987X a few months ago. Sadly, my 87X had been modded a bit. I think they were going for more of a JTM45 tone, less gain and darker sounding. It does sound really nice though. Has a beautiful clean tone to it. I am going to eventually take it to my amp tech and have it put back to factory spec. I owned an 1987 way back in the late 90s and this one didn't sound the same as I remember.
I did run the SV20H preamp into it's FX return...…. oh, that is much closer to what I remember a 1987 to sound like.
Id' be curious, if you could run your SVs pre into the FX return of your 87X. Does it sound the same as just the 87X?
I tried it and it sounds really good—very similar. But the SV does not have as meaty a tone as the 1987x. I love my SV, but having the SV and 1987x side-by-side, the superior depth and punch of the 1987x is evident. The cleanish, edge of breakup tone on this amp is breathtaking.

Last edited: