NAD - 1987 Silver Jubilee 2553

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I put a new set of tubes in this amp...Eurotubes JJ E34L and High Gain ECC83S and set the bias to run at about 70%. The tubes that were in it were some GT ECC83S and a 12AX7 in V3. Power tubes were Mesa Boogie EL34s. The bias was initially set at 18.9mA which is REALLY cold...about 35%!!! What a night-and-day difference!! This amp sounds amazing. I got a set of JJ ECC83S Gold Pin pre-amp tubes just to see if there's a difference since they're supposed to be "smooth and creamy". I'm gonna live with the high gain tubes for a while and then try the gold pins. For now, I'm super stoked about this amp! View attachment 115431
Looking good man. that was a really cold bias! Have fun!

FYI the Ecc83's are 12AX7's too. Having gold pins offer nothing over standard. Just lighten your wallet quicker. Not to say the same tube may sound/perform differently. They can. It ain't the gold on the pins though. Save yourself some money.

Last edited:

El Gringo

Reaction score
Thanks! That Les Paul is a 2018 Murphy-painted Wildwood R8. Lots of mumbo jumbo there! Basically a 2018 R8 selected by Wildwood Music to be painted by Tom Murphy. Wildwood also specs their own humbuckers but I wasn't too fond of them. I swapped them for a WCR Godwood set. Also changed out the V/T controls for an RS Vintage set. Sounds much better. I have four LPs (2006 R9, 76 GT Deluxe, 71 Black Custom) and the R8 is probably my favorite.
That is awesome ! I also think it's pretty wild that you replaced the Wildwood spec Humbuckers , as I always remove the stock pickups for my favorite ThroBak pickups 101 Plus . Best Wishes !

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Today I put a new set of tubes in this amp...Eurotubes JJ E34L and High Gain ECC83S and set the bias to run at about 70%. The tubes that were in it were some GT ECC83S and a 12AX7 in V3. Power tubes were Mesa Boogie EL34s. The bias was initially set at 18.9mA which is REALLY cold...about 35%!!! What a night-and-day difference!! This amp sounds amazing. I got a set of JJ ECC83S Gold Pin pre-amp tubes just to see if there's a difference since they're supposed to be "smooth and creamy". I'm gonna live with the high gain tubes for a while and then try the gold pins. For now, I'm super stoked about this amp! View attachment 115431
It must sound even better now I bet!!

TheLoudness!!

Reaction score

That's awesome and I can totally get behind this experience. Unlike that guy on YT that claims the tubes don't make a difference...proper bias and tubes makes a hell of difference!!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Incidentally, some Mesa tubes can be quite good. Might not hurt to put them back in with a proper bias and see, unless they were weak.
I have the same Eurotubes bias probe. Love it!
While all tubes sorta affect the tone, V1 in a Jubilee is the biggest. It is the only gain stage tube, then it is the LEDs. V2 won't overly affect your tone FYI.
Love my Jubilees, what a great find!

maico996

Reaction score
That's awesome and I can totally get behind this experience. Unlike that guy on YT that claims the tubes don't make a difference...proper bias and tubes makes a hell of difference!!
Totally agree. Proper bias is really important, no matter what tubes you're using.