* MYSTERY *

bill bokey

Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, behold Mystery!

272036917_2160472597434928_2610468148877557533_n.jpg

Mystery is an amp of my own design, here is the 1x12 combo version.
The preamp is pretty simple with only two 12AX7/ECC83 tubes, and 5 knobs : gain, treble, middle, bass and volume (PPIMV). This is the standard version, the one I use for larger venues and outdoor gigs. Output power is around 40W, using a pair of EL34s. There is a lower wattage version : Mystery 18, with two EL84s. I use that one for smaller venues and live recording sessions.
The speaker is a Fane A60 alnico

Here is a short video I made a few days ago with a (korean made) Gretsch Electromatic G5120 :

I replaced the stock pickups with TV Jones Magna'Tron (neck) and TV Classic (bridge) and plugged it into the Mystery with basic settings : gain, treble, middle and bass on 5, volume on 10. At 2'30 I turned the gain to 8 (that's my standard gain setting).

I'll make some proper videos in a few weeks but it sounded so good with the (cheap) Gretsch I thought I'd share it with you all.

And here's Mystery 18, live in a recording studio, with the same speaker and settings :

Hope you like it!

solarburnDSL50

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ladies and gentlemen, behold Mystery!

View attachment 112420

Mystery is an amp of my own design, here is the 1x12 combo version.
The preamp is pretty simple with only two 12AX7/ECC83 tubes, and 5 knobs : gain, treble, middle, bass and volume (PPIMV). This is the standard version, the one I use for larger venues and outdoor gigs. Output power is around 40W, using a pair of EL34s. There is a lower wattage version : Mystery 18, with two EL84s. I use that one for smaller venues and live recording sessions.
The speaker is a Fane A60 alnico

Here is a short video I made a few days ago with a (korean made) Gretsch Electromatic G5120 :

I replaced the stock pickups with TV Jones Magna'Tron (neck) and TV Classic (bridge) and plugged it into the Mystery with basic settings : gain, treble, middle and bass on 5, volume on 10. At 2'30 I turned the gain to 8 (that's my standard gain setting).

I'll make some proper videos in a few weeks but it sounded so good with the (cheap) Gretsch I thought I'd share it with you all.

And here's Mystery 18, live in a recording studio, with the same speaker and settings :

Hope you like it!

Very slick playing and great tone. Dig.:drool:

Also the amp looks cool. Like the ? on the grill. Great badge for the name of that amp.:agreed:

Last edited:

blue

Reaction score
It both looks and sounds wonderful. It was nice clean, but when you upped the gain control it really came to life, fantastic stuff

Latest posts