Multi section filter caps, “best” quality.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
So I’m reforming the caps in my JTM45 Offset build (built around 2006?), the F&T and LCR are showing a little leakage, the sprague atom on the board is awesome, barely trickling current.

So they will be good enough to fire up the amp for now, but I’ll want to replace them when I can.

What is considered a superior can cap these days? The caps in question are 32/32 F&T and a 16/16 LCR, so I’d like to get ones the same diameter.

Interestingly, the original LCR caps in my 1994ish slp reissue reformed fine, although they are wired in series in the circuit, which probably helps a lot in terms of the voltage they received.

Spanngitter

Reaction score
Normally F&T is a bank so I wonder on how you determined that there is leakage?
ESR Meter used? Component removed from Circuit?
I had Amps here for repair where even TADs and F&Ts failed but all of them where caused by the cap being damaged due to excessive clamping force used or they where simply undersized in voltage.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
I determined the leakage at each node by noting the current draw (voltage drop) and subtracting the down stream current to isolate the leakage to each particular node. In my JTM45, each node only uses a single cap or single section of a cap.

Also I wouldn’t call it an outright failure, but the leakage current is notably higher than I had previously attained before several years ago.

playloud

Reaction score
I would also consider ARS. I've heard from a couple of people that they have the best sound (in Marshalls) of current production electrolytics.

LCR aren't in production anymore.

F&Ts seems to be the final word on reliability. Anecdotally, I've had them in a few amps over the years and never had any issues.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
LCR aren't in production anymore.

F&Ts seems to be the final word on reliability. Anecdotally, I've had them in a few amps over the years and never had any issues.
Yeah, I wanted to get the same size as they are mounted on clamps internally, with little room to change sizes. That 25mm LCR 16/16um is unobtanium now. I found TAD caps that will fit in my amp with the proper capacitances, and 500V too (compared to 450v for the LCR).

PelliX

Reaction score
Just pointing out that TAD don't make caps, they're probably re-branding F&T's (if you're lucky). I'd concur that F&T are pretty much the best you can get, CP, at the moment.

playloud

Reaction score
Yeah, I wanted to get the same size as they are mounted on clamps internally, with little room to change sizes. That 25mm LCR 16/16um is unobtanium now. I found TAD caps that will fit in my amp with the proper capacitances, and 500V too (compared to 450v for the LCR).

25mm? I thought they were usually 35mm, or is this a rare variant?

Watford have the (35mm) 32+32uf LCR in stock (and 20+20uf, if you're willing to compromise). They also carry ARS, or you can buy direct on Ebay. I believe the ARS have a slightly smaller diameter (34mm?), so you may need to wrap a little tape around the base.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
I’m replacing an F&T 32/32 (35mm) and 16/16 LCR (25mm, which I only use one 16uf section) with a 32/16 35mm TAD and a 25mm single 32uf, so I have all the required capacitances at the right diameters for my mounting, just in different positions than the old caps, but they are next to each other so it is almost a non issue to wire them in the circuit.

So I went from “what is the best” to oh crap, not much choice if I want them to fit in the same clamps/space. Ha ha.

Last edited: