Movie trailers that just plain FAIL

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
It's reasons like this that I won't pay the $3,642.49 theater ticket prices anymore (you know, like I normally would otherwise):

WT frickety F is this SHOWING me??!

Last edited:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
I quit the movies years ago.
One thing I don't like is the over produced (imo) sound effects. I guess they design the effects for max effect with dolby or something. It irks me.

Anyhow, I think it's about aliens. In the vein of Independence Day??

I like the old Key and Peele show though. It could be pretty funny. Supposedly this guy makes good films.
"Get Our" was supposed to be good. I never saw it.

PelliX

Reaction score
Back in the day, you used to try to combine a nice girl and a good film. Now you had better get on with your date, because .... Nope. Last thing I saw was 'It' and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Fully awaiting the horror of having a classic ruined, Stephen King delivered quite well. Why? Because they put it firmly in the decade it was meant to be in (and got most of it right).

But Nope? Nope. Every film now seems to be a black awareness thing. I'm very aware of the existence of black people as it is, thank you. I play lots of their music. I've got a hand signed picture of BB King on the wall... and I'd love to add Muddy Waters or Albert Collins! :D

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
....Every film now seems to be a black awareness thing. I'm very aware of the existence of black people as it is, thank you. I play lots of their music. I've got a hand signed picture of BB King on the wall... and I'd love to add Muddy Waters or Albert Collins! :D

Well Peele is a black guy so it kind of makes sense it might be written with black lead characters.
Frankly that doesn't bother me.
Kinda sounds like you're saying if a movie has black leads that equates to "black awareness"?

Back in the day I thought Spike Lee made some good films. At the time I really liked Do The Right Thing. Good movie.

Is a movie like Hidden Numbers "black awareness" or just a movie about history?
Regardless, those women had remarkable stories and really did overcome many obstacles. You have to admire them.

PelliX

Reaction score
Well Peele is a black guy so it kind of makes sense it might be written with black lead characters.
Frankly that doesn't bother me.
Kinda sounds like you're saying if a movie has black leads that equates to "black awareness"?

Well, to a degree. Of course, you'll need a black lead if you make a movie about Mike Tyson and you'll need a white guy if you're going to do the same for.. uhm, Jim Marshall, for lack of a better example. :D

The thing is, thesedays it seems that "a large amount" of the films coming out are either lined with ideologies, black awareness or feminism *where it adds nothing* to the story (Star Wars, for example) or are centered around historic content that lends itself to those notions. 12 Years a Slave, etc. The latter being a good movie, very well directed, I must say.

Back in the day I thought Spike Lee made some good films. At the time I really liked Do The Right Thing. Good movie.

Not my cup of tea, but yeah, good flicks, sure.

Is a movie like Hidden Numbers "black awareness" or just a movie about history?
Regardless, those women had remarkable stories and really did overcome many obstacles. You have to admire them.

Oh, absolutely remarkable and noteworthy stories! I was born on Rosa Parks day, and I deeply admire her courage and stance, for example. I just feel that 'Hollywood' is pretty biased at the moment. Call me a simpleton, but I'd just like some old fashioned entertainment once in a while without any deeper meanings, messages, etc. I equally love for example Kubrick's mind twisting games and so on but I don't want to have to figure out how I'm being brainwashed when I watch a movie.

Classic examples would be things like Missing in Action or Top Gun. Obviously there was a total pro-USA bias there, same for the product placement (Dell, anyone?). Either you make something "deep" and serious, say, for example, The Deer Hunter or 2001 A Space Odyssee or you make something shallow but entertaining. Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Robocop...

I guess what I'm saying is that I've become wary of Hollywood, and what sells right now (for a large part) just isn't up my street. :shrug:

V-man

Reaction score
Do the movie trailers fail, or do the movies plain suck to be “un-trailerable”, or is it both these days.

Last movie I watched in the theater (by personal choice rather than social obligation) was the new Bladerunner @ 5 years ago. Social obligation was the new Batman, which was marginally more entertaining than a colonoscopy monitoring. Since the 2010s, the industry is lucky if I catch a half-dozen in a decade… a far cry from being seen at the theater 2-3 weekends out of the month in the 1990s.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
The trailers are better than the movies most of the time.
Remember Blair witch project?
Geniuses marketed that one just right,cause that movie was fn horrible. I watched it twice to make sure it wasn't just me. Nope,it sucked balls!
Every flick has pretty much the same bs content. Far fetched is ok ,but ridiculously stupid is a waste of money. Plus ,with all the crazy ppl in the world,...stting in a theater just isn't my thing these days.

I'd like to see topgun though. The effects must be way better this time around:) I'll get situated on the couch, and just watch online hdmitv.
Pause ,pee,puff,snack ....resume .

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Do the movie trailers fail, or do the movies plain suck to be “un-trailerable”, or is it both these days.

Last movie I watched in the theater (by personal choice rather than social obligation) was the new Bladerunner @ 5 years ago. Social obligation was the new Batman, which was marginally more entertaining than a colonoscopy monitoring. Since the 2010s, the industry is lucky if I catch a half-dozen in a decade… a far cry from being seen at the theater 2-3 weekends out of the month in the 1990s.
Last movie I saw was that one where some middle eastern guy got famous for ripping off John Lennon songs on an acoustic guitar, or something like that. The only 2 reasons I didn't walk out were: 1) I paid like $7,642.95 plus NY sales tax for two theater tickets, and 2) it was so fricking bizarre that I just had to see where it would go.

It was either that one or the Elton John one, and it's better if I just don't go any further on that one right now.

Last good movie I saw in a theater? "A Million Ways To Die In The West". yeah. It was that long ago.

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
VIP Member
Reaction score
The trailers are better than the movies most of the time.
Remember Blair witch project?
Geniuses marketed that one just right,cause that movie was fn horrible. I watched it twice to make sure it wasn't just me. Nope,it sucked balls!
Every flick has pretty much the same bs content. Far fetched is ok ,but ridiculously stupid is a waste of money. Plus ,with all the crazy ppl in the world,...stting in a theater just isn't my thing these days.

I'd like to see topgun though. The effects must be way better this time around:) I'll get situated on the couch, and just watch online hdmitv.
Pause ,pee,puff,snack ....resume .
I def want to see that, nothing but great reviews. And also the Elvis movie. I'd be down with that as long as it's above "made for TV" quality.

tubes

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why does this automatically play every time I visit this thread?
That one didn't play automatically for me but the first video in the thread played.
I was very surprised. I am, after all, using Linux - the Insane Loner distro - and also Creepy Weirdo browser.

PelliX

Reaction score
That one didn't play automatically for me but the first video in the thread played.
I was very surprised. I am, after all, using Linux - the Insane Loner distro - and also Creepy Weirdo browser.

Linux or not, chances are you're on either a derivative of the Chrome or Mozilla browser engines... both of which are total bloatware ~2022 IMHO.

He wrote, using Firefox on Debian... :shrug:

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
Well, to a degree. Of course, you'll need a black lead if you make a movie about Mike Tyson and you'll need a white guy if you're going to do the same for.. uhm, Jim Marshall, for lack of a better example. :D

The thing is, thesedays it seems that "a large amount" of the films coming out are either lined with ideologies, black awareness or feminism *where it adds nothing* to the story (Star Wars, for example) or are centered around historic content that lends itself to those notions. 12 Years a Slave, etc. The latter being a good movie, very well directed, I must say.

Not my cup of tea, but yeah, good flicks, sure.

Oh, absolutely remarkable and noteworthy stories! I was born on Rosa Parks day, and I deeply admire her courage and stance, for example. I just feel that 'Hollywood' is pretty biased at the moment. Call me a simpleton, but I'd just like some old fashioned entertainment once in a while without any deeper meanings, messages, etc. I equally love for example Kubrick's mind twisting games and so on but I don't want to have to figure out how I'm being brainwashed when I watch a movie.

Classic examples would be things like Missing in Action or Top Gun. Obviously there was a total pro-USA bias there, same for the product placement (Dell, anyone?). Either you make something "deep" and serious, say, for example, The Deer Hunter or 2001 A Space Odyssee or you make something shallow but entertaining. Die Hard, Lethal Weapon, Robocop...

I guess what I'm saying is that I've become wary of Hollywood, and what sells right now (for a large part) just isn't up my street. :shrug:

I really can't comment on the topic beyond the basics.
As I've mentioned before I gave up on Hollywood 20 years ago.
My problem is the crass commercialization, the violence, the bad/predictable stories. Comic book stories. Military based movies that are just propaganda. etc...

These days I just feel like everybody is reactionary. The super woke bitch. The nutty right wingers bitch.
Ugh, I get sick of it....

If Nope ends up on my tv in a few years I'll check it out.
Peele is funny, imo.

Latest posts