Michael Nesmith RIP

Silverdome

Reaction score
I loved the Monkees as a kid in the 80's. The show was incredible and I loved his later video work with Garry Shandling (another legend we've lost). I will enjoy his art for many years to come and may he RIP>

jmp45

Reaction score
I loved the Monkees as a kid in the 80's. The show was incredible and I loved his later video work with Garry Shandling (another legend we've lost). I will enjoy his art for many years to come and may he RIP>

As a kid in the 60s Monkees and Star Trek. That was it. RiP Mike. I spent a day with Garry Shandling showing him the sites in Toledo in the late 70s, early 80s. Straight up guy, funny, had class and was honest. It was a fun day, he was at a comedy club where I met him at a lunch. Club owner lent me his caddy to take to the city.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I'm a big Monkees fan, but especially Mike's songs. Whether he wrote them, produced them or sang them, they were always great. And don't forget the First National Band.

Torren61

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Michael Nesmith, a singer and guitarist for the hit group the Monkees, died Friday.

He was 78.
Micky Dolenz, Nesmith's bandmate, confirmed the news to CNN.
"I've lost a dear friend and partner," Dolenz said. "I'm so grateful that we could spend the last couple of months together doing what we loved best -- singing, laughing, and doing shtick. I'll miss it all so much. Especially the shtick. Rest in peace, Nez."
Nesmith died of heart failure at his home in Carmel Valley, CA, according to his manager.
"With Infinite Love we announce that Michael Nesmith has passed away this morning in his home, surrounded by family, peacefully and of natural causes," a statement on behalf of his family and obtained by Rolling Stone read. "We ask that you respect our privacy at this time and we thank you for the love and light that all of you have shown him and us."
Monkees tour manager Andrew Sandoval said the group had just recently been performing.

"It is with deep sadness that I mark the passing of Michael Nesmith. We shared many travels and projects together over the course of 30 years, which culminated in a Monkees farewell tour that wrapped up only a few weeks ago."

Nesmith and surviving band member Dolenz last performed in Los Angeles on Nov. 14.

A Houston, Texas native, Nesmith moved to L.A. after a short stint in the Air Force. Before becoming a household name, he had success as a song writer, with songs like "Mary, Mary," which was recorded by the Paul Butterfield Blues Band and "Different Drum," which was recorded by Linda Ronstadt.
He landed a role on the TV series "The Monkees" in 1965. The series aired from 1966 to 1968. He went on to have a solo career and has been considered one of the pioneers of country rock.
In 1981 he won a Grammy Award for video of the year.
He continued to tour with the Monkees throughout his career, while also touring solo.
Nesmith was married three times and is survived by four children.

JohnH

Reaction score
He was a very talented musician. I loved the Monkees when I was growing up but didn't appreciate just how tricky some of his parts were.

Just try nailing his part in 'Pleasant Valley Sunday' , at the speed that they play it, while at the same time looking as bored as he did!

axe4me

Reaction score

Too bad Nesmith didn't play the lead.

RIP Michael.

Vinsanitizer

Kitteh!!
Double Platinum Supporting Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
It's getting kinda weird watching all these icons pass on each year. RIP.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im nearing the end of year 58 ,so if you're my age , Mike was one of your first guitar heroes ......even before Jimi !!!

1967,I thought bands lived like The Monkees ,they lived together ,played gigs ,had these grand adventures to save the world from spies n sh*t :lol:

Here's a little history of Mike's axes,enjoy

Monkees Instruments & Gear (monkeeslivealmanac.com)

Last edited:

Latest posts