Marshall Vintage Modern Combo - to head or not to head

Cheeseburger

Reaction score
I picked up a Marshall Vintage Modern combo yesterday - the price was so good I couldn't walk past it.

Having played it for a few hours now, It's a great amp and will suit my style perfectly. But i'm not sure i'm in love with the sound of the cabinet, or maybe it's the speakers. It's a bit honky in the midrange, and not much body. But If I plug it in to other cabs I own, i'm much happier with what i'm hearing.

I'll give it another week or so and see if my perceptions change, but otherwise wondering what the pros and cons would be if I should turn this into a head?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Reaction score
I picked up a Marshall Vintage Modern combo yesterday - the price was so good I couldn't walk past it.

Having played it for a few hours now, It's a great amp and will suit my style perfectly. But i'm not sure i'm in love with the sound of the cabinet, or maybe it's the speakers. It's a bit honky in the midrange, and not much body. But If I plug it in to other cabs I own, i'm much happier with what i'm hearing.

I'll give it another week or so and see if my perceptions change, but otherwise wondering what the pros and cons would be if I should turn this into a head?
HNAD?
Are the original speakers still in it?
What speakers are in your cabs you like better?

As @JohnH suggested, don't butcher the cab to make a head.
But you could always have a head shell made (or make one) to fit the chassis and be able to revert it back to a stock combo.
Swapping out the speakers for something that better suits your liking is another reversable option.

Cheeseburger

Reaction score
HNAD?
Are the original speakers still in it?
What speakers are in your cabs you like better?

Original speakers are still in there from what I can tell. I've heard they're revered, and i'm a massive Hendrix fan, but just not doing it for me in this format. Such is life.

An open back 2061CX style cab with a 65 Creamback + V30 is my go-to these days. Usually paired with a DIY brownface deluxe head. The vintage modern will be perfect compliment - a little louder, and a little tighter.

I'll never sell this amp FYI. I'd just be pulling the chassis out and making a head to put it in. I don't want to do anything that isn't reversible.

Cheeseburger

Reaction score
What orientation do people think looks best? A or B?

A

Cnjldit.jpg

B

FFCmtr3.jpg

Joe Levens

Reaction score

You say it has "not much body." My personal opinion is that if you really need a lot of body (like I do) you must use a 4x12 cab.

Cheeseburger

Reaction score
This conversion project would have been a whole lot easier if I had have made this 2x12 just a 1/2 inch wider! The VM chassis is just a shade wider than ideal. But how was I to know this amp would come into my life?!!

I'm too OCD to have a head that sits wider than my #1 cab!

Will solve that problem tomorrow.

nDlkcvq.jpg

Green 💚 backs are highly recommend for this amp I own one

The G12C's are not going anywhere. I've heard too much praise in their direction. I'm actually a little surprised I didn't immediately connect with them. But I do tend to prefer higher wattage speakers.

Curiosity will probably get the better of me soon and i'll put them in the cab above to see how they roll.

JamminJeff

Reaction score
Please just don't! It's a classic and in limited supply. Instead, I'd suggest trying it on a nice 8-Ohm closed-back 2x12, and run that together with the very special pair of G12C greenbacks in the combo.
I agree in full with the above comment. If you don't want to go 2x12, then try Ceramic Greenbacks (or equivalent) in a 1x12. The nice thing about extension cabinets is they are easy to swap speakers in and out and also create an open back version if you want, etc.

When I acquire new gear, especially amps, I give myself some time to adjust to the new tones, purpose, etc. Also, these Studio Series amps and cabinets are generally holding their value. There are good deals from time to time so when you find one, look at it as a long term investment.

Once Marshall stops producing them (and we all know it happens) the price will increase and availability could slowly dry up.

Cheeseburger

Reaction score
2266 has a new house. Cab is built and nothing left to do but the glue to dry.
Another weekend of DIY and it will look like the rest of the furniture in the room.

H31xDlv.jpg

Last edited:

Geeze

Reaction score
Great looking work!

I put two Marshall combos into heads - a 4210 which had the same upside-down face plate orientation and a '78 JMP 2204 [can't remember the combo #] which had the face plate correct. Both restored to combos and sold. I do have the head shells still.

Suggestion on the two knob amp sitting on top - get some wood binding [Specialty wood stores or luthier supply] or a strip of figured wood [I favor contrasting bits sorta guy] to glue over the plywood end grain.

Russ

Latest posts