Levy's:

81lgQWhT9QL._AC_SS450_.jpg

Levi's:

a5c035274246f0d7f01b6120cad232b2.jpg

;)
My bad! Now I'm def not getting the endorsement deal

Freddy78

Reaction score
this thread went in to a bizarre direction , anyway its clear that that we have here two "groups", the "modern Marshalls " series supporters and the "Real deal" supporters .
i am feed up with the vintage equipment hype and the statement that vintage is better and all that BS around it , like - ohh this cap is made by XYZ instead of Phillips or this resistor is not the correct spec ect.... honestly not all the vintage equipment is always better in some cases its pure Sh*t and i had the chance to test some vintage equipment ( without getting in to too much details ) .

i don't have any thing against vintage equipment or periodic correct stuff it just no to my liking but i do respect people that are in to that , on the other hand i would except to get the same approach to me and the other members in this forum that like the "modern stuff" as we are all gathered in this form for the love of Marshall Amp's without any pre judgments on this or that.

PelliX

Reaction score
this thread went in to a bizarre direction , anyway its clear that that we have here two "groups", the "modern Marshalls " series supporters and the "Real deal" supporters .
i am feed up with the vintage equipment hype and the statement that vintage is better and all that BS around it , like - ohh this cap is made by XYZ instead of Phillips or this resistor is not the correct spec ect.... honestly not all the vintage equipment is always better in some cases its pure Sh*t and i had the chance to test some vintage equipment ( without getting in to too much details ) .

i don't have any thing against vintage equipment or periodic correct stuff it just no to my liking but i do respect people that are in to that , on the other hand i would except to get the same approach to me and the other members in this forum that like the "modern stuff" as we are all gathered in this form for the love of Marshall Amp's without any pre judgments on this or that.

Yarp. I've had kit that was made like crap and performed/sounded good and vice versa, both old and new. From a player's perspective, if it sounds 'right' and you can afforrd it, it's fine. From a tech's perspective one looks at the construction, serviceability, MTBF, etc. Combine those two and you get some inner conflicts from time to time. Meh, I think it's all been said, this mudfight is over as far as I'm concerned.

1655894804225.png

Dunno what tone comes out of that, but I'd play it to find out.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
I think if people can own and play the big brother amps in all their glory, then more power to them!

I am not one of them though. :(

However, I am happy that what I have wanted for the past decade and for others even longer, is here, in all their little brother glory. :)

Moony

Reaction score

I'm in the "I don't care for... if it sounds good it's good" group. :)

But I probably would prefer newer good sounding amps - just because they are newer and probably last longer until the first defects happen.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I don't often post a reply without reading the whole thread first, but just the first couple/few pages was enough to inspire this response! My sincerest apologies! This response is especially concerning the SV20.

Several folks have made comments who apparently seem to have never actually spent any time with any of the Studio series amps, particularly the SV20! I see comments in comparison to the 1959 like "The sound of the 1959 comes from the power section" and "you just can't get the same sound sound from a lower wattage pair of cathode bias EL34s." These kinds of comments carry some weight, but are not strictly accurate! The sounds, tones, feel and response of a well tuned 1959 really comes from a combination of the preamp AND poweramp overdrive and how they react upon each other. In this regard, Marshall has done quite a good job of mimicking that feel and sound with the SV20. There is certainly not the massive movement of air, created by a 1959 pumping it's 150+ watts (yes, a 100 watt 1959 puts out well in excess of 100 watts when fully cranked) into a pair of 4x12 cabinets, but nearly all else is there in spades. In fact, the SV20 sounds more like a 100 watt, 1959 than it's 50 watt, 1987 sibling!

With all that said, you will certainly never get the kind of volume levels from the 20 watt, SV20 that you can get with the 100 watt, 1959, but you CAN achieve the closest approximation that I've heard anyone else achieve to date! This whole amp series (SV20 in particular) is the biggest "Home Run" that Marshall has hit in years! They actually seem to have listened to what many players wanted/needed and went ahead and produced a faur approximation of an average of all the requests! Who could ask for more? Well, a hand wired, turret board version (kinda like the Astoria) might be nice, but the whining about the price would be endless and they would sell very few! Kinda like the Astoria series!

Just My :2c:,
Gene

Moony

Reaction score
This whole amp series (SV20 in particular) is the biggest "Home Run" that Marshall has hit in years! They actually seem to have listened to what many players wanted/needed and went ahead and produced a faur approximation of an average of all the requests!

That's what I'm saying all the time!

When the Studio Jube was released everyone, their mother and the neighbours dog asked "Why not a JCM800? Why not a Plexi?" - then Marshall delivered and it's still not ok? C'mon!

My honest opinion - and I said that before - is, that the Studio amps are now being bashed from guys in the US mainly because the prices there increased drastically.

You will never see anyone in the EU saying "Oh the Origin20 is so much better than a SV20" - sorry that's just US talk, the Studio amps are top sellers here in the EU.
I regularly look at the tubeamps bestseller charts from Thomann that are updated on a weekly basis. Thomann is the biggest seller in Europe.
Since the release the SC20 and SV20 are constantly in the top 10 - most times even in the top 5.
So is the JVM410H, another amp that gets a lot of hate because it costs more than 3 times in the US vs EU pricing.

If the Studio amps were 800 bucks and the JVM410H 1200 bucks in the US I bet most of the guys who are currently bashing them would buy one.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Back in April, even after the price increase, I scored the very last SV20H in the MF/GC system for the old price! Yes, it was a floor model, but that meant it had actually been played and put through it's paces. With the $150-ish in bonus points, it knocked the price down by that much (I'm always buying stuff, due to incurable GAS) so……..
Yeah, it was more than I wanted to spend, but the amps sounds so fanastic, I'll never look back!
There Ya Go!
Gene

PelliX

Reaction score

When the Studio Jube was released everyone, their mother and the neighbours dog asked "Why not a JCM800? Why not a Plexi?" - then Marshall delivered and it's still not ok? C'mon!

My honest opinion - and I said that before - is, that the Studio amps are now being bashed from guys in the US mainly because the prices there increased drastically.

You will never see anyone in the EU saying "Oh the Origin20 is so much better than a SV20" - sorry that's just US talk, the Studio amps are top sellers here in the EU.
I regularly look at the tubeamps bestseller charts from Thomann that are updated on a weekly basis. Thomann is the biggest seller in Europe.
Since the release the SC20 and SV20 are constantly in the top 10 - most times even in the top 5.
So is the JVM410H, another amp that gets a lot of hate because it costs more than 3 times in the US vs EU pricing.

If the Studio amps were 800 bucks and the JVM410H 1200 bucks in the US I bet most of the guys who are currently bashing them would buy one.

Last time I checked, the Origins here are a fair deal cheaper than the Studios. I've been sort of, vaguely playing with the idea of giving an Origin 50 a shot. I play almost exclusively covers, and there are but a few tones I can't at least get close to with what I have. I find myself often using the Fender amp sim on my GX, though, which isn't the bees knees. Maybe a Fender amp to finish the Marshall/VOX/Fender trinity of amps. I'd go for the Ori 50 over the 20 for the fixed bias among other things, if I chose that path. Fender amps for me are touch and go - one gives me a sonic hardon, the next might as well have been a VOX Pathfinder (ugh).

But yeah, Marshall did indeed deliver what the people asked for. Even if the Studios were a bad joke, they would still have delivered. Not even Marshall went as far as to say "Forget the [original], we've done it again. Better. Cheaper. Smaller. Here ya go, problem solved.". They know full well that they need to offer a range to satisfy the most customers possible.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Yarp. I've had kit that was made like crap and performed/sounded good and vice versa, both old and new. From a player's perspective, if it sounds 'right' and you can afforrd it, it's fine. From a tech's perspective one looks at the construction, serviceability, MTBF, etc. Combine those two and you get some inner conflicts from time to time. Meh, I think it's all been said, this mudfight is over as far as I'm concerned.

View attachment 110246

Dunno what tone comes out of that, but I'd play it to find out.

I do so love :wub2: Levis when so properly filled with such a "Super Duper Pooper!"
Just Sayin'
Gene

PelliX

Reaction score
I do so love :wub2: Levis when so properly filled with such a "Super Duper Pooper!"
Just Sayin'
Gene

I'm a very light build and have a ponytail. When I wear jeans a that are perhaps a tad on the tight side and I'm just standing, not walking, men whistle from time to time. I also get the "Can I help you, miss?" at the shops and stuff. I just turn around and grin, it's priceless, but I guess it's a compliment, too.... :applause:

Masker of Puppets

Reaction score
I, for one have a problem with those cheap ass, not servicable plastic pots, especially in a 1500
Eurodollar amp. Just sayin, at other companies
you get the real deal for this money, from good transformers over pots to corner-welded chassis.

As i said, everyone can buy whatever they want,
but coming out in packs with the pitchforks when someone tries to show them that they get
bamboozled unfortunately is a sign of the times.
I bought my SV with the intention of sending it to voodoo amps and spending a thousand US, on upgrades. It is what it says it is, a studio amp. I haven't checked in a while, but at some point voodoo will be offering upgrade packages. New pots, New sockets, transformers caps etc. I could have bought the 50 or 100 watt plexi, but what the hell do I do with it? It has to be dimed, to sound good. What put an atte

You ain't kidding about the price increase, I bought my SV for $1,350 US, they are now $1750, I bought my dsl 40 combo for $750 they are now $1,050.
The SV is a great little amp, seems all the guys bad mouthing them, have spent no time with one. Hell most of them have never played a 100 watt plexi. The SV is what it says it is, a studio amp. If you put a Shure sm7b in front of it into a console equed properly, you will not be able to tell the difference. Most people could play Eddie Van Halens actual rig and guitar, but they would never sound like Eddie. In fact it's said that none of the original plexis sounded the same. What about tubes? The plexi came with KT66, 6L6 and EL34, which are they referringtoo? Which is another great thing about the cathode bias, you can roll any EL-34 type tube into them. I've tried 6L6, good for some things not others, at some point I'll roll a pair of KT66 into it.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
I'm a very light build and have a ponytail. When I wear jeans a that are perhaps a tad on the tight side and I'm just standing, not walking, men whistle from time to time. I also get the "Can I help you, miss?" at the shops and stuff. I just turn around and grin, it's priceless, but I guess it's a compliment, too.... :applause:

I'm betting your "Pooper" don't look as "Super Duper" as the one in the pic! If it does, I may have to re-think some of my most long standing proclivities! :p
Just Jokin'
Gene

PelliX

Reaction score
I'm betting your "Pooper" don't look as "Super Duper" as the one in the pic! If it does, I may have to re-think some of my most long standing proclivities! :p
Just Jokin'
Gene

I'm guessing it doesn't, but I'm not fast enough to run around and take a look. Two pints, and I'd take the bet that I fit in those trousers, though... :rofl:

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I was younger and had long hair. I got a good chuckle from it. The girls damn sure loved me too though, so it was well worth it. :cool:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Got a cheap cloth 3" wide Levis strap off amazon a few weeks ago and love it. Actually all my straps right now are Levis. Where's my endorsement deal!
Sorry for the momentary derail here.
I have a plethora of custom made Well-Hung guitar straps. Check them out on Reverb. Padded with memory foam, rolled edges,custom one of a kind. For me, why not have the most comfortable custom strap for your precious axes??

Some samples.