Marshall Studio Series

FennRx

Reaction score
Ok, wow, that was really unnecessary.

A couple things:

1) Off-topic discussions (such as those removed) should be confined to the after-hours sub-forum.

2) While fair criticism is fair game, picking at / belittling someone just because they have a different interest is not. If you are posting with the intent of tearing someone down, this probably isn’t the best community for you.
Welp I’ll see myself out :)

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, wow, that was really unnecessary.

A couple things:

1) Off-topic discussions (such as those removed) should be confined to the after-hours sub-forum.

2) While fair criticism is fair game, picking at / belittling someone just because they have a different interest is not. If you are posting with the intent of tearing someone down, this probably isn’t the best community for you.
Geez I hope it wasn't me

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listening to the criticism on this thread makes me wonder if some of you actually play the guitar?

Do you trust a guy like @Jethro Rocker who actually takes these amps out and uses them or do you listen to someone who doesn't own one plus hasn't seen a stage in 30 years if ever?

Not every opinion carries the same weight.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Listening to the criticism on this thread makes me wonder if some of you actually play the guitar?

Do you trust a guy like @Jethro Rocker who actually takes these amps out and uses them or do you listen to someone who doesn't own one plus hasn't seen a stage in 30 years if ever?

Not every opinion carries the same weight.
Thanks dude. Back at ya. You play lots with your SC.
Yes I have used the Mini Jubilee out a few times and the original countless.
Thurs I use the SC out for his first gig. With the Lynch Mod.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Getting personal are you? The only opinion that has any weight is the right one. The point of the discussion was that amps with wastly different specs woun't sound identical. Is this what you are trying to dispute? Throw your weight on this.
No dispute, just pointing out that the most critical on this thread do not seem to have any experience at all with the subject at hand.

Do you own one of these amps?

Do you gig with it regularly?

Or are you just spouting cap values on the internet?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Getting personal are you? The only opinion that has any weight is the right one. The point of the discussion was that amps with wastly different specs woun't sound identical. Is this what you are trying to dispute? Throw your weight on this.
Sound and tone being subjective, as is what the Studio series is trying to accomplish, I don't believe there really is a right opinion as such. In my opinion using said amps, the tones are similar and in the same family as what the originals are in the case of the SC and Jubilee. Controls, taper, etc. as well.

Many original 800s don't sound identical at all. Same components. They were hit n miss for a few years.

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every clip Ive heard from @Jethro Rocker was legit rock and roll. I’ll trust his ear and opinion over theory any day of the week.

Another I’ll trust is Euge Valovirta, he’s got only good to say about the SC20H, and he compares everything against his JCM800 “badboy” 2203.

Only ones that came close were the SC20H, and the Amp1 Iridium. I grabbed one of those for myself, I’ve been debating getting the SC20H and kicking myself for not getting one when the price was better.

Not that I can’t afford it, just several tube amps have gone up in price lately, you’d think they were full of gasoline at that price hahah!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Every clip Ive heard from @Jethro Rocker was legit rock and roll. I’ll trust his ear and opinion over theory any day of the week.

Another I’ll trust is Euge Valovirta, he’s got only good to say about the SC20H, and he compares everything against his JCM800 “badboy” 2203.

Only ones that came close were the SC20H, and the Amp1 Iridium. I grabbed one of those for myself, I’ve been debating getting the SC20H and kicking myself for not getting one when the price was better.

Not that I can’t afford it, just several tube amps have gone up in price lately, you’d think they were full of gasoline at that price hahah!
Jeez you guys are really pouring it on today!
Thanks for the compliments, I know you lads rock out big time.
I really need to use the Iridium at some show.

saxon68

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Jeez you guys are really pouring it on today!
Thanks for the compliments, I know you lads rock out big time.
I really need to use the Iridium at some show.
Report back when you do. I’m running mine into a 1960A cab now, putting a band together that should be gigging by fall, and torn on whether to use that, or a 1x12 with mic, since it’s going to FOH anyhow, or use a captor or something and IR and that to FOH with cab just for my personal monitoring / sidewash. Might use FM3 for fx……. Decisions decisions.

vivanchenko

Reaction score
No dispute, just pointing out that the most critical on this thread do not seem to have any experience at all with the subject at hand.

Do you own one of these amps?

Do you gig with it regularly?

Or are you just spouting cap values on the internet?

I am not a gigging musician, I play for the love of it. I also built 4 clones of classic Marshall amps with my own hands. This includes 100 and 50 W Plexies and a JTM 45. I built them from the ground up. I also spent thoughands of hours testing them and experimenting with hundreds of mods. I am also currentlly converting the 50 W plexi clone into a 2204.

I don’t own the Studio, but I played it cranked for about 4 hours in total and considered purchasing it. How much time do you need to figure out that it doesn’t nail SLP? The best way to describe the Studio is a "British sounding amp" . It doesn’t, nail SLP, and it doesn't feel like one too.

The amps you are using now were invented and built by people who spent 0 hours on stage as guitar players. If not for them you'd be playing freaking serenades now.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I am not a gigging musician, I play for the love of it. I also built 4 clones of classic Marshall amps with my own hands. This includes 100 and 50 W Plexies and a JTM 45. I built them from the ground up. I also spent thoughands of hours testing them and experimenting with hundreds of mods. I am also currentlly converting the 50 W plexi clone into a 2204.

I don’t own the Studio, but I played it cranked for about 4 hours in total and considered purchasing it. How much time do you need to figure out that it doesn’t nail SLP? The best way to describe the Studio is a "British sounding amp" . It doesn’t, nail SLP, and it doesn't feel like one too.

The amps you are using now were invented and built by people who spent 0 hours on stage as guitar players. If not for them you'd be playing freaking serenades now.
Does it have to nail it? I don't think any of us think the little 20 watters are gonna nail their big brother's girth and such. Can't speak for the SV, I suspect it really isn't a plexi but gee, most owners seem very hapoy with them.
The Jubilee mini is close enough to be a Jubilee tonally and control wise. Put a DSL in there and pretend it is a Jubilee?
Nope.
Not even close.
Seems like big sellers and happy buyers even if there aren't chokes etc in the design. The flavors are close enough in my opinion. Not a right or wrong opinion, just a subjective tonal opinion.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does it have to nail it? I don't think any of us think the little 20 watters are gonna nail their big brother's girth and such. Can't speak for the SV, I suspect it really isn't a plexi but gee, most owners seem very hapoy with them.
The Jubilee mini is close enough to be a Jubilee tonally and control wise. Put a DSL in there and pretend it is a Jubilee?
Nope.
Not even close.
Seems like big sellers and happy buyers even if there aren't chokes etc in the design. The flavors are close enough in my opinion. Not a right or wrong opinion, just a subjective tonal opinion.
Amen--we don't want them to 'nail' it, that's the entire point of the series. For decades we screamed for this tone in a manageable package. I've owned well over a dozen 50 and 100w 4 holers and they are too much for the clubs we play now. Your only choice is to choke them down with attenuators or supplement them with pedals and then what's the point? Plus it's not like those options aren't avail

This is the SC20--I don't think 'puny transformer' when I hear it. Sorry about the cargo shorts and flip flops lol if I remember correctly it was 105 with no ac that day

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nope.
Not even close.
Exactly,… that’s exactly right, we all know a little 20 watt amp can’t compare to a 100 watt amp, that’s ridiculous. But the Studios have the sound and the Lineage and pedigree of their 100 watt counterparts.

To deny that, isn’t reality imo.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Amen--we don't want them to 'nail' it, that's the entire point of the series. For decades we screamed for this tone in a manageable package. I've owned well over a dozen 50 and 100w 4 holers and they are too much for the clubs we play now. Your only choice is to choke them down with attenuators or supplement them with pedals and then what's the point? Plus it's not like those options aren't avail

This is the SC20--I don't think 'puny transformer' when I hear it. Sorry about the cargo shorts and flip flops lol if I remember correctly it was 105 with no ac that day

Bingo!

PelliX

Reaction score
The more I think about it, the more I'm guessing there at least as many people in the "Oh, I bought a Studio but it's not quite like the thing it's named after that cost a K more" camp as in the "Well, dammit, I bought a [100W iron] and now I can't bloody turn the sucker up to get those tones" camp.

Tone is in the strap, anyway. You want the real vintage leather straps, though. They don't make cows like they used to.

PelliX

Reaction score
Forget the Studios, if you want the real tone you've been looking for, look no further. Not Friedman, not Ceriatone but Levi's

nrfdwzaho04xphzwzuiu.jpg

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sigh... why do I take the bait....

Forget the Studios, if you want the real tone you've been looking for, look no further. Not Friedman, not Ceriatone but Levi's

nrfdwzaho04xphzwzuiu.jpg
Got a cheap cloth 3" wide Levis strap off amazon a few weeks ago and love it. Actually all my straps right now are Levis. Where's my endorsement deal!

Latest posts