Marshall Origin Grill cloth

mattoliver1984

Reaction score
Hi guys
I’m absolutely brand new to the forum but do any of you experienced Marshall heads know what type of grill cloth is being used on the Origin line?
What it is I got the amp for a ridiculous price and I know it gets its fair share of slack online but it’s not all bad, im passing it on to my lad for now as he’s taken an interest in wanting to learn guitar, but he’s not at the stage of being that into it where I want to fork out for his own gear when I’ve got guitars and amps that he can use for now.
Anyway I’m just knocking him up a 1x12 extension cab to go with the Origin 5, it was something I’ve been meaning to do myself but now I’ve got a reason, I could probably get something cheap online that would do, but for some
Reason, and I don’t know wether it’s because I’m a Carpenter/joiner by trade or because as guitar players we can’t help taking things apart and fiddling with things the 1st thought I have is......I’ll make one myself.
Sorry for waffling on, this is my 1st time on a forum like this so hi guys hope your all well 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Oh and also, I don’t fancy modding the combo cab, the measurements Don’t add up for the finish I’m after 👍🏼
Cheers

Matt

Attachments

• ADDB7290-5054-450C-AD92-BD3852524A4E.jpeg
    ADDB7290-5054-450C-AD92-BD3852524A4E.jpeg
    687.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
I’m absolutely brand new to the forum but do any of you experienced Marshall heads know what type of grill cloth is being used on the Origin line?
What it is I got the amp for a ridiculous price and I know it gets its fair share of slack online but it’s not all bad, im passing it on to my lad for now as he’s taken an interest in wanting to learn guitar, but he’s not at the stage of being that into it where I want to fork out for his own gear when I’ve got guitars and amps that he can use for now.
Anyway I’m just knocking him up a 1x12 extension cab to go with the Origin 5, it was something I’ve been meaning to do myself but now I’ve got a reason, I could probably get something cheap online that would do, but for some
Reason, and I don’t know wether it’s because I’m a Carpenter/joiner by trade or because as guitar players we can’t help taking things apart and fiddling with things the 1st thought I have is......I’ll make one myself.
Sorry for waffling on, this is my 1st time on a forum like this so hi guys hope your all well 👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼
Cheers
Matt
:welcome:to the forum.
The grill cloth on the Origin combos is a pinstripe style.
Availability of an exact match to what Marshall used may be near impossible.
There are similar grill cloths, depending on where you are on the planet, and what retailers near you have available.
I've bought some re-issue pinstripe grill from Mojotone here in the US.
If you are making an extension cab, to buy a minimum may also be enough to re-do both - Guaranteed match. :yesway:
I did both these 1x12 cabs, and a little 1x10 Crate combo with 1 yard of cloth.

c110-13.jpg

mattoliver1984

Reaction score
Hi man, oh wow they look outstanding mate, yeah I’m in the Uk, I have been looking on mojotone & it’s definitely an option and one of the better looking grill cloths I’ve managed to come across...
I was a bit uncertain about posting on here as the amps nothing spectacular and as it stands at the moment my Marshall arsenal is an Ori5C a Dsl40cr and I own, which is currently up in the attic a Marshall Mg100dfx or something similar I can’t remeber the name of it as I have t had it down in a long while, an x partner of mine got it me.
I’m currently saving up for a nice head and 4x12 set up but
Still a long way off yet, I’ve got other amps but not marshall
Thanks for the reply brother, I don’t mean to keep talking off topic about other things, just trying to find my feet on here plus I quite enjoy speaking to like minded people👍🏼👍🏼

Attachments

• 4D398806-7392-42DB-B457-5A894F0C1D3F.jpeg
    4D398806-7392-42DB-B457-5A894F0C1D3F.jpeg
    497 KB · Views: 1

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi man, oh wow they look outstanding mate, yeah I’m in the Uk, I have been looking on mojotone & it’s definitely an option and one of the better looking grill cloths I’ve managed to come across...
I was a bit uncertain about posting on here as the amps nothing spectacular and as it stands at the moment my Marshall arsenal is an Ori5C a Dsl40cr and I own, which is currently up in the attic a Marshall Mg100dfx or something similar I can’t remeber the name of it as I have t had it down in a long while, an x partner of mine got it me.
I’m currently saving up for a nice head and 4x12 set up but
Still a long way off yet, I’ve got other amps but not marshall
Thanks for the reply brother, I don’t mean to keep talking off topic about other things, just trying to find my feet on here plus I quite enjoy speaking to like minded people👍🏼👍🏼
There are no requirements for membership, and I think having 3 Marshalls more than qualifies.
Talk all you want about amps & guitars and any related gear (any brand), that's why we're here...

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
Hi guys
Oh and also, I don’t fancy modding the combo cab, the measurements Don’t add up for the finish I’m after 👍🏼
Cheers

Matt

First> :welcome: to the forum!

Then> Your second paragraph pretty much sums up my suspicion that you'll fit in quite well here! :h5: The ORI5 is a cool little amp. Basically an upgraded Class5. I'll bet it sounds killer, when properly cranked!

Enjoy,
Gene

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
if you live in the UK, call Marshall direct...

Just tell them you did a Pete Townsend/Ritchie Blackmore & put a guitar neck through the cloth & need a new piece... & that you want to DIY... :)...

They probably will ask you for a ser# & will sell you one...

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
And oh yeah,the suggestion by @fitz288 to redo the ORI5 cloth at the same time as the cabinet you build (all with the same cloth) increases the prospect of having a good match, as well as giving you wider options of "custom" choices! DOD's thought is pretty valid also!

Just Sayin'
Gene

mattoliver1984

Reaction score
First> :welcome: to the forum!

Then> Your second paragraph pretty much sums up my suspicion that you'll fit in quite well here! :h5: The ORI5 is a cool little amp. Basically an upgraded Class5. I'll bet it sounds killer, when properly cranked!

Enjoy,
Gene
Hi Gene
Thanks for the warm welcome I appreciate it.
I paid £80 for the amp second hand so it was a no brainer, I quite like the idea of having a few little combos about all with there own little quirks and imperfections.
I can get a few decent tones out of it Gene and that’s all I’m bothered about really, as long as I can sit down and bash out a few of my favourite Rock and Roll songs & they sound half decent then I’m a happy man lol.
Hope your good Gene, thanks for the msg my friend 😁🎸
Am I allowed to post these pics here if not I’ll delete them, it’s a couple of pics of a Mustang build I’m doing and I’m at the point where it’s all assembled, just waiting on the nitro to be delivered and as soon as it lands I’m gonna start laying down some Lacquer 👌🏼👌🏼

Attachments

• EDB82AAB-2F29-44A5-9163-E39020E1D0AE.jpeg
    EDB82AAB-2F29-44A5-9163-E39020E1D0AE.jpeg
    750.7 KB · Views: 7
  • EC834E01-255C-4BA5-9CF4-FB77FA592E08.jpeg
    EC834E01-255C-4BA5-9CF4-FB77FA592E08.jpeg
    297.5 KB · Views: 7