Marshall Origin 5C as first tube amp?

timmyturner

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here(my first thread), and I'm sorry in advance for my bad English . Basically, just another thread about Origin 5C, but I didn't found someone with similar problem as me.
Let's start from afar, I play guitar for 3 years, but first two years were not really active, I just played some 4-chord songs(Nirvana, Weezer and that kinda stuff ) at weekends. Then, maybe a year ago I've started practicing almost every day.
I've had my cheap Cort (CM15R or something) amp and Ibanez GRG140SB since I started playing. It was ok at first time but the more I played, the more I understood that I need a better amp and guitar( Hands down, Ibanez guality is very good, better than some affinity strats I've seen and tried at music stores, but the sound I get from it really disappoints me. Anyways, it's not a thread topic so let's talk about Origin 5C.
All the time I've played guitar, I wasn't gear nerd and I thought that tube amps are very expensive and only intermediate players ahould own them(basically I thought like this because my dad always told me that maybe if I'll play better, he'll get me one). But one week ago I was going through ebay looking for a replacement of my Cort amp, and somehow an Origin showed up to me. At first I was kinda confused, because it costed 180€ and the description said that it is tube amp. I checked it on thomann and was really surprised, a really good looking amp(I don't like JCM and DSL series design), it was in my price range(150-200€ for used one), and also it is freaking Marshall guys, the holy grail of guitar sound. Now I've watched almost all reviews on Origin 5C but I'm still not sure if I should buy exactly this amp.
Let's start with pros it has as for me.

Pros:
1) It is quiet( I believe that 0.5 watt mode is ok for me)
2) It has basic built in eq(for example, in some vintage amps there is only two knobs and power button)
3) It's Marshall( As I said before, holy grail of sound, all my favourite guitarists played or be playing through marshall stacks.

Cons:
1) Doesn't have reverb, but I think that I'm ready to pay extra 30-40 euro on reverb pedal( I'm thinking about TC- Electronics Skysurfer, because Hall of Fame is too expensive to buy right after the amp, maybe later)
2) 8" speaker. I'm really scared because everyone says that 8 inches is too small and that it sounds awful with this speaker. I've never played on big Marshall stacks, or really expensive Marshall combos, will the 8" speaker be a problem for me, a guy who only played on Cort amp? I consider buying an external 1x12" cabinet for this reason. I know that Origin 20C has a 10 inch speaker, but it's almost twice the price of 5C, and external cab option is even cheaper than Origin20C( used Harley Benton cab equipped with celestion 12inch speaker costs 50-100€, 150-200€ for Origin 5C, and 350-400€ for Origin 20C).

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new here(my first thread), and I'm sorry in advance for my bad English . Basically, just another thread about Origin 5C, but I didn't found someone with similar problem as me.
Let's start from afar, I play guitar for 3 years, but first two years were not really active, I just played some 4-chord songs(Nirvana, Weezer and that kinda stuff ) at weekends. Then, maybe a year ago I've started practicing almost every day.
I've had my cheap Cort (CM15R or something) amp and Ibanez GRG140SB since I started playing. It was ok at first time but the more I played, the more I understood that I need a better amp and guitar( Hands down, Ibanez guality is very good, better than some affinity strats I've seen and tried at music stores, but the sound I get from it really disappoints me. Anyways, it's not a thread topic so let's talk about Origin 5C.
All the time I've played guitar, I wasn't gear nerd and I thought that tube amps are very expensive and only intermediate players ahould own them(basically I thought like this because my dad always told me that maybe if I'll play better, he'll get me one). But one week ago I was going through ebay looking for a replacement of my Cort amp, and somehow an Origin showed up to me. At first I was kinda confused, because it costed 180€ and the description said that it is tube amp. I checked it on thomann and was really surprised, a really good looking amp(I don't like JCM and DSL series design), it was in my price range(150-200€ for used one), and also it is freaking Marshall guys, the holy grail of guitar sound. Now I've watched almost all reviews on Origin 5C but I'm still not sure if I should buy exactly this amp.
Let's start with pros it has as for me.

Pros:
1) It is quiet( I believe that 0.5 watt mode is ok for me)
2) It has basic built in eq(for example, in some vintage amps there is only two knobs and power button)
3) It's Marshall( As I said before, holy grail of sound, all my favourite guitarists played or be playing through marshall stacks.

Cons:
1) Doesn't have reverb, but I think that I'm ready to pay extra 30-40 euro on reverb pedal( I'm thinking about TC- Electronics Skysurfer, because Hall of Fame is too expensive to buy right after the amp, maybe later)
2) 8" speaker. I'm really scared because everyone says that 8 inches is too small and that it sounds awful with this speaker. I've never played on big Marshall stacks, or really expensive Marshall combos, will the 8" speaker be a problem for me, a guy who only played on Cort amp? I consider buying an external 1x12" cabinet for this reason. I know that Origin 20C has a 10 inch speaker, but it's almost twice the price of 5C, and external cab option is even cheaper than Origin20C( used Harley Benton cab equipped with celestion 12inch speaker costs 50-100€, 150-200€ for Origin 5C, and 350-400€ for Origin 20C).
:welcome:to the forum.
I've never played the Origin5, but I have the 20w head.
Tube amps are not quiet.
Even in 0.5 watt mode, to get a good "Marshall" crunch tone, the little amp will be LOUD.
Origin amps are great pedal platforms and can sound really good at TV volumes with a decent overdrive pedal.
Lots of good reviews for using the Boss SD-1 in the front of an Origin (I do).
I can also recommend the TC Sky Surfer, I have one on another amp, and it's a great reverb pedal for the price.

It's hard to say if it's the right amp for you.
Your best bet would be to try one if you can, and compare it to other amps that may be available in your area.
Best of luck.

Moony

Reaction score
I would not buy the Origin 5.
Imho it sounds really bad.
If you like such a small amp, even a Bugera V5 is a better choice, please watch that video > Klick <

And I'd stay away from the Origin 20 too.
It's one of the worst sounding Marshalls since decades if you ask me.
Lyle from Psionic Audio figured out why that is - it has major design flaws like channel bleed with phasing problems, you can watch his detailed walkthrough in the 4 videos he's made. Here's the first one: > Klick <

Don't get me wrong, Marshall is my no1 amp manufacturer.
Just buy a DSL20 or DSL40, it's a better choice.
And if you consider a DSL5, then go for the older one without Reverb (DSL5C not DSL5CR), because that was a real all tube amp - the newer one is not, it has one 12AX7 less and a mosfet phase inverter.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not buy the Origin 5.
Imho it sounds really bad.

And I'd stay away from the Origin 20 too.
It's one of the worst sounding Marshalls since decades if you ask me.
Have you owned both, or are you an expert YouTube watcher?
Channel bleed on a single channel amp? - Please explain...

Moony

Reaction score
Have you owned both, or are you an expert YouTube watcher?
Channel bleed on a single channel amp? - Please explain...

I have tried them and didn't like the sound at all when they were released years ago.
I've always given my honest opinion on them on a German musicians forum since then.

As I haven't bought (and modded) any of them I was glad that a very skilled amp tech has checked them and showed why they sound that bad in a 4 videos series that started end of last year.
And yes I'm very thankful and I completely understand what he says. Maybe signal bleed was the better term.
If you're really interested in that topic I'd suggest to watch his videos too.

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have tried them and didn't like the sound at all when they were released years ago.
I've always given my honest opinion on them on a German musicians forum since then.

As I haven't bought (and modded) any of them I was glad that a very skilled amp tech has checked them and showed why they sound that bad in a 4 videos series that started end of last year.
And yes I'm very thankful and I completely understand what he says. Maybe signal bleed was the better term.
If you're really interested in that topic I'd suggest to watch his videos too.
Anyone can make any amp sound like a wet fart if they want.
My O20H sounds awesome - no mods, just tube changes, a few pedals, and a pair of G12M-25's in a custom 212.
Perhaps I just have no idea what I'm doing.

Moony

Reaction score
Anyone can make any amp sound like a wet fart if they want.
My O20H sounds awesome - no mods, just tube changes, a few pedals, and a pair of G12M-25's in a custom 212.
Perhaps I just have no idea what I'm doing.

I'm glad you like the sound of your Origin.
But please let me have my own opinion.
I don't like it and never have..

I think the TO can decide for himself if he likes it too or not.
When someone asks on a forum, it's normal that he gets different answers and different opinions.
I'm not sure why you can't handle that.
Please note that's not a personal thing against you - it's just about a guitar amp. And tastes are different.
One man's trash is another man's treasure.

Moony

Reaction score
Share some personal experience with a 1st time poster, not a replay of some YouTube influencer trash.

Oh I tptally understand now:

If you say that the amp sounds great, then that's definitely true - if I say that I don't like it, then I have no idea and no personal experience (even if I already said I've tried the amps when they were released).

And a well respected amp tech who has had hundreds of amps (including countless Marshalls) on his workbench over the last decades who makes educational videos is "youtube influencer trash".

May I ask how old are you?
Honestly I don't want to argue on the internet with some angry teenagers...

I'm sorry if I offended you with saying I don't like your amp.
It's just a guitar amp!

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
smh...
I'm an old man like just about everyone else here... :rofl:
I've been scorched so many times I have no feelings left to offend.
I just like to see some positive feedback on a 1st time poster's questions based on something more substantial than trying an amp once and watching videos.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
It's always the best to try the amps by yourself. I've already said that - so I certianly can agree on that.

At least the 5 and 20.

I'm ok with that. :)
We all like different flavors
The tones I get from mine may make some peoples ears bleed..
But they work for me!

Cheers

RCM 800

Reaction score
I havent tried the or5 but I own two of the 20h's. Great amps. Some people dont like them and I think thats because most people set them with their eyes instead of their ears. Also Origins need boost to come alive, even for low gain settings. I think the origins sound better than the DSL line for getting classic marshall crunch and with the right pedals can get just as heavy for harder rock and metal If you do get a DSL or Origin combo your probably going to need to swap the speaker as they sound like ass IMO. If I were the OP I would try the or5 myself and see what it can do for you. My recomendation would be something like a Boss Katana 50. Its big enough for gigs or a band, light and affordable and will give you a broad pallet of tones to work with until are more experienced and can decide exactly what you need and can afford better quality equipment or maybe save up some and get a Marshall DSL20h or Or20h and a cab with a good speaker.

I understand how tone can make you want to play more but it doesnt make you a better player. The gear chase is a rabbit hole I wish I could have side stepped but I guess its all a part of the fun of playing guitar. Good luck in your choices OP.

Moony

Reaction score
Also Origins need boost to come alive, even for low gain settings.

I see it sounding better when using it clean(ish) as a pedal platform.
Here's a Origin20 (into CaptorX with Greenback IR) - and a LPD Sixty8 Deluxe in front of it:

fitz288

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see it sounding better when using it clean(ish) as a pedal platform.
Here's a Origin20 (into CaptorX with Greenback IR) - and a LPD Sixty8 Deluxe in front of it:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it absurd that the OP asks about getting a used O5C for about $200, and now he needs a $400 plexi pedal into an $600 load box DI with IR cab sims?

Moony

Reaction score
Is it just me, or does anyone else find it absurd that the OP asks about getting a used O5C for about $200, and now he needs a $400 plexi pedal into an $600 load box DI with IR cab sims?

What?
You're really trying hard to get me wrong, right?
What are you trying to archieve?

The pedal is fine, but I wouldn't buy the amp just for that.
And you still hear some of these weird hollow mids the Origin has, even in that clip when using a good miab pedal.

So no, I'd just buy another amp.
But that's just me.
And I'm glad you'll certainly accept my opinion on that. ;)

If the budget is limited to 200 Euros a Boss Katana is a good choice.