Marshall (head only) -realistic used -prices.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Take # 3

Don't think I worded my post correctly,for everyone is taking it the wrong way.

****** Covid didn't happen to the market ,things are typical/normal economy ****

Example:

-1985 jcm800 2203- good to great condition

What would you pay for this head ?

What's realistic $ ?

What $ would make you say not today?

Now pick a head from the list that interests you, and price it accordingly using the factors I've listed.

Let's see where you guys align with used Marshal

You can also include the RI reissue (x)

You can also add in the KK,JH, YJM etc
No signed by artist stuff or unicorns that Jimi supposedly owned type stuff.

The list :

JCM 800 2203

JTM

JMP

JVM

6100 (* LM)

JCM900

DSL

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
Other than the fact the US is getting fucked by the import duties etc that make (more) reasonably-priced units for sale in the UK absurd here, your post doesn’t have much purpose to it but a “I think apples should be no more than $1.50/lb gripe.” You are entitled to do that but it’s a pretty pointless topic.

Due to socio-economic factors the mods frown upon discussing here, that’s tough shit for you (and me and us). Dudes have been whining for over 10 years that “no 2203 should be worth a penny more than $950…$1k max as a museum piece,” and every year that passed, that sentiment shifted one more increment away from “savvy purchaser” and one more increment toward “jackass with no understanding of economics.”

How much has gas/petrol been per gallon/liter these past 18+ months? How much did UPS suddenly start charging to ship the same amp head boxes and guitar-cased boxes you were only paying X for in the 2010s? How much does ground beef cost at the market now? Don’t want to pay much for a Marshall? Good news: given an upcoming and likely inevitable recession, people who bought too much shit out of COVID isolation/boredom will then realize that they can’t use that 5th amp to pay rent or feed the family and there will be a race to the bottom as too many people try to unload too much shit causing a glut of supply amidst a complete loss of demand.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
DSL JCM2000 Definitely way under a grand , 800 tops for a mint one . Due to you never know whats going on under the hood of those things , like the wild bias creep and overheating they are known for .
JCM900 DR : Definitely under 800 . Sold my last mint 100 watt one with 200$ worth brand new tubes for 600 .
One must take into account the STUPIDLY CRAZY PRICE OF TUBES these days . Why would anyone want to pay crazy high price for a tube amp . Its like trying to sell a gas car when gas is sky high and everyone is buying electric ... further on down the road per say when almost no one will want a petrol car . The numbers I posted are Canadian dollars .

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
I

Let's pretend that the sellers know what they have,and the buyer knows what they want , and a fair ground has been established. What's your good fair range- OK range, and nfw range. I'm sure it's all within a few hundred bucks.

Last edited:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Sorry but I cant really get much more into this discussion at this time . I have no desire to buy any overpriced tube amp at the moment . I will just continue to laugh at the inflated mental idiot sellers of old obsolete junk .

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The list :

JCM 800 2203

JTM

JMP

JVM

6100 (* LM)

JCM900

DSL
That's a long list with a wide price variance and a HUGE difference in functionally and tones.
Age, originality, and overall condition are always a factor in value.
for something I really need, I mean want.
I think narrowing your search could get you a better idea of what's available in your price range.
Also, please explain the immediate dismissal of re-issues.
Are you looking for a collector's piece on a budget, or something that will be the tones you want at a price you're comfortable with?
There are lots of great amps in the $1200 - $1800 range.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've never payed over $1,700 for any Marshall, unless it was new, and that was a greatly discounted 2203x. Inflation, price gouging, whatever the reason, I still wouldn't.

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Thanks for being the first MF to comprehend,and reply correctly.
👍

Wildeman

Reaction score
Seems like the big 800s are trying to creep over 2k now, I'm a bottom feeder so that shit is outta the question, if I saw a healthy one for 1500.00 or less, it might get my wheels turned. I'm pretty happy with the Marshalls I got now though and kinda think I'd hoard some more MOSFET's if I was spending 1500 on amps.
I love this thing to bits and can't really think of something I do that it can't handle, less than 500 clams and all the 800 tone you can get outta 35 watts image000000 (8).jpg

Last edited:

DreamerDeceiver

Reaction score
Seems like the big 800s are trying to creep over 2k now, I'm a bottom feeder so that shit is outta the question, if I saw a healthy one for 1500.00 or less, it might get my wheels turned. I'm pretty happy with the Marshalls I got now though and kinda think I'd hoard some more MOSFET's if I was spending 1500 on amps.
I agree,
If i could grab jcm800 2203 for $1200 , Id be very happy. $1500 id still be OK, over $1800 I fold too. I just can't do it. Great iconic head, but I have my limits on its worth. $1500 for a great condition head is pretty much my breaking point on most heads,if given the opportunity to buy.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Any JMP 50 or 100 watt Marshall in decent running condition and not butchered: 1500 bucks and up. Condition, originality, tone all are big factors. Very good examples can bring 3000 dollars.

Anything older, brings a lot more.

Newer series versions of the same amps bring less. A JCM800 2203 is worth about 500 less than a JMP 2203.

DSL series: DSL100H is worth about 800 bucks tops.

That's what I'd expect to encounter if looking to buy.

Wildeman

Reaction score
I agree,
If i could grab jcm800 2203 for $1200 , Id be very happy. $1500 id still be OK, over $1800 I fold too. I just can't do it. Great iconic head, but I have my limits on its worth. $1500 for a great condition head is pretty much my breaking point on most heads,if given the opportunity to buy.
Those heads were the standard when I was coming up, I've played them, I know the sound they make very well and just feel like I can get it from some of the less hipster "desirable" Marshalls out there, not saying anything bad about them at all.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Example:

-1985 jcm800 2203- good to great condition

What would you pay for this head ?

What's realistic $ ?

What $ would make you say not today?
I see mid '80s JCM800 2203 heads go anywhere from around $1300-2300 on avg. I've seen some lower & some higher (much higher) depending on what value the seller thinks they have...

This will also depend on where you live, & the market in your region. In LA, there's always a lot of used amp's for sale, including JCM800 2203 amp's. It just depends on what shape it's in & who owns it.

Since covid though, everything is on the higher side of things. You simply can't dismiss that - whether it is caused by that, or not, people are taking advantage of it...

Tincup

Reaction score
I missed the boat while in fender town. Now I’m looking at clones, since they are realistically priced.

Geeze

Reaction score
Here's my favorite quote attributed to El Greco [a famous painter from the 1500's] as a potential client was whining about the proposed cost of work from El Greco. 'You rarely regret your luxuries while you frequently regret your economies.'

If I want it I'm going to figure out how to get it. I can always make more money.

Things are only worth what people are willing to pay. If you're patient and willing to wait & travel you'll find some deals but you best be on them fast. So set a limit and / or bend over for an original in good condition or have someone build you a clone. FYI you'll wait for parts / trannys like I am on a build.

The two advantages to buying an original is

1- It's done! [if you find one you like]
2 - It may increase in value.

Russ

Latest posts