Marshall Good Bad and Ugly

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Just want to get some more input. Lately lots of amp inquiry here about the JCM 900, Jubilee 25, DSL of all sorts. There are only a few amps people seem to gravitate to, usual suspects. DSL 40c , DSL 40cr, DSL 100, 100HR.Origin series pigeon holed to one trick pony. Of course the older more sought after rare now Plexi and recently the Studio series.

There was a time not to long ago where you could find a deal on a good old Marshall now not so much. I get further and further away from tubes just because the nature is to break windows.Maybe I'll get or build attenuation.
I never got along with the 40C . To me it had not ball but mostly because after owning a JCM 900 DR it could not compete on that scale. I went through so many amps the 900 is the only one I miss but now those are over priced.

So 2 amp designs I look to now because nothing new makes me happy. I want to put the old in old school. The TSL I never owned sounds good and the DSL 401c sounds good. I should just not mention any amp because once it hits the net the price goes bang, Just like the 900 did.
What say you owners of TSL and 2000 series DSL ?

Last edited:

JazzBrandee

Reaction score
DSLs, especially the 2000 series 100w amps are prone to failure. Steer clear....lol

Ha, I never realised this! Had one years ago, and about halfway through my first band practice something went pop and it stunk of smoke. Sent it back and they fixed it no fuss, but not the best first impression! Didn't have issues after that though.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
DSLs, especially the 2000 series 100w amps are prone to failure. Steer clear....lol
That explains a lot. So lots of them probably went to the land fill or did people fix them?

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
That explains a lot. So lots of them probably went to the land fill or did people fix them?

Two probable possibilities and I doubt that many went to a land fill:
A> The amp got properly repaired and has enjoyed a long, happy, rockin' life.
B> Had a half a$$ed, cheap repair and has floated around, being sold and sold again, as either a problem child or crappy sounding amp!​
I would find it difficult to believe that anyone would simply "junk" a piece of gear with the supposedly "valuable" Marshall logo on it! Even a smoked/torched hulk would still have some value!
Just My $.02,
Gene

Old Punker

Reaction score
Two probable possibilities and I doubt that many went to a land fill:
A> The amp got properly repaired and has enjoyed a long, happy, rockin' life.
B> Had a half a$$ed, cheap repair and has floated around, being sold and sold again, as either a problem child or crappy sounding amp!​
I would find it difficult to believe that anyone would simply "junk" a piece of gear with the supposedly "valuable" Marshall logo on it! Even a smoked/torched hulk would still have some value!
Just My $.02,
Gene

Yeah, pretty sure not many are throwing Marshall tube amps in the garbage. :eek:

shocked-surprised-girl-screaming-covering-260nw-1680163126.jpg

Last edited:

Darthslater

Reaction score
DSL 2000 HAD A REALLY AWESOME SOUND MY BUD HAD ONE IT OF COURSE SMOKED OUT BECAUSE OF THE RUN AWAY BIAS ISSUE THERE IS A KIT TO FIX THIS AND IT WORKS BUT IT IS LABOR INTENSIVE REQUIRED DRILLING OUT PIECE WITH A HOLLOW BIT AND RESTAGGING THE SMALL BOARD....ONCE FIXED HOWEVER NEVER GOES BAD AND THAT AWESOME TONE IS REALLY WORTH IT TSL SUFFER FROM THE SAME THING.

Trelwheen

Made With Real Bacon
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
DSL 2000 HAD A REALLY AWESOME SOUND MY BUD HAD ONE IT OF COURSE SMOKED OUT BECAUSE OF THE RUN AWAY BIAS ISSUE THERE IS A KIT TO FIX THIS AND IT WORKS BUT IT IS LABOR INTENSIVE REQUIRED DRILLING OUT PIECE WITH A HOLLOW BIT AND RESTAGGING THE SMALL BOARD....ONCE FIXED HOWEVER NEVER GOES BAD AND THAT AWESOME TONE IS REALLY WORTH IT TSL SUFFER FROM THE SAME THING.

STOPITSTPOITSTOPITICANTSTANDITWHENPEOPLEWRITETHISWAY

Thankyou

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I would not be surprised at all if someone would just toss out ANY product that someone else might find to be valuable. Including a late 60s Marshall head or cabinet. Heck, just check the Goodwill auctions site, and see what people DONATE to that organization which has value. A surprising number of quite decent guitars get sold via that site.

I've found some rather valuable things that had been placed by the curb for the trash truck to pick up. Stuff that nobody here would have tossed out. Some people just don't see some things as valuable, when others are aware of its collectibility.

Like those old comic books....or those old Nike sneakers. (That one I don't get. To me shoes are just shoes. But some people actually collect Nike shoes...whether I think they're idiots or not.)

I used to own skateboards that, today, would legitimately bring over a thousand dollars each from collectors. They weren't considered valuable at the time, though.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I don't know where they go or whatup.
I know I really like my TSL. Tonally different from a DSL, not as buzzy or fizzy sounding. Absolutley super amp to me, put an OD up front just to tighten bass and lessen compression for 80s metal tones.
I would not give up my TSL. Not a lick of trouble with it.
Awesome amps. The little issues can be worked around.

Latest posts