Marshall DSL40CR on Clearance?

SonOfMI

Reaction score
I stopped in at a few GC over the weekend and each had their DSL40CR’s marked as “on clearance”. I asked a staff member at the last one what was up and he didn’t know. He just said they were told by corporate to mark them as clearance with a reduced price. They’re still full price on GC website but Sweetwater has them marked down as well. Anyone know what’s up? Is the DSL40CR going away? Know what will be replacing it?

Kutt

Reaction score
The physical GC stores often have discounts and sales that only happen in-store. I wouldn't overthink it. When something is going to be discontinued or when some sort of change comes from the manufacturer it affects every dealer and happens both online and in store.

LCW

Reaction score
"On clearance" by how much?

999 instead of 1049? lol

I do see Sweetwater also has it at a slight discount... https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/DSL40CR--marshall-dsl40cr-40-watt-1x12-inch-tube-combo

I'm just glad I picked up a used one for $575 when I did (and the previous owner had swapped in a V30 so even better).

Will be interesting to see if and what Marshall replaces this with. I somehow suspect yet more "electronics"... maybe an internal load with IRs - which would actually be cool. Or if they'll follow Blackstar's lead with some super light transformers. I just hope they don't mess up a great recipe.

LCW

Reaction score
Looks like DSL40CR, DSL20CR, DSL100HR all on discount at Sweetwater... DSL20HR is not discounted... combo now same price as head.

Either Marshall over compensated on inventory after supply chain shortages, or they're brewing something to replace these...

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks like DSL40CR, DSL20CR, DSL100HR all on discount at Sweetwater... DSL20HR is not discounted... combo now same price as head.

Either Marshall over compensated on inventory after supply chain shortages, or they're brewing something to replace these...
Because of all the Marshall amp exorbitant price increases in the past year or so, I wonder if it could be a welcomed price correction?

Just a thought.

LCW

Reaction score
Because of all the Marshall amp exorbitant price increases in the past year or so, I wonder if it could be a welcomed price correction?

Just a thought.
Yeah maybe - with the strong US dollar… ??

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
A few months ago, brand new DSL R's (20, 40, and 100) were few and far between.
Good to see that they are back in stock and available again, at most retailers.

Goober23

Reaction score
I'd snap one of those bitches up if I didn't have a GREAT DSL-40C with white tolex and a well broken in V-30.
I have a long list of Marshall amps and some of "the amps of yore" and still consider the DSL to be my desert island amp!

tmingle

Reaction score
My best guess would be to compete with the EVH combo priced at $899. The DSL's are great amps(I have 3 of them) but, the 40CR is a TAD overpriced at $1099 IMO. Many people do not have disposable cash, so I suspect some price drops on a lot of things soon.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
£629 in the UK at the moment ($755).
But that is for Special Order only, so who knows if it'll ever arrive?
Oddly, almost all Marshalls at my LGS are either Special Order or Pre Order.
What's the difference?

40CR price.JPG

ITburst

Reaction score
DSL20HR in Canada has gone up by $250 in a little over one year with no sign of them coming back down. They are also on back order until at least mid January. I’m waiting on yet another warranty replacement.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
DSL20HR in Canada has gone up by $250 in a little over one year with no sign of them coming back down. They are also on back order until at least mid January. I’m waiting on yet another warranty replacement.
Except for the Dsl20 combo, Sweetwater has the whole Dsl line in stock, including the Dsl20hr.

But Musicians Friend has the Dsl20hr on back order too, if that’s any consolation.

GuitarWatson

Reaction score
I have a DSL 40CR. Sounds much better now that Marshall made some changes. Is there anyway to tame the ultra channel? I love the clean channel I would like to make the ultra channel sound like the clean channel with the crunch button pressed in. Is this possible? Thanks

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a DSL 40CR. Sounds much better now that Marshall made some changes. Is there anyway to tame the ultra channel? I love the clean channel I would like to make the ultra channel sound like the clean channel with the crunch button pressed in. Is this possible? Thanks
:welcome:
To The Forum
Try changing the v2 preamp tube to a lower gain ,, mine are the Dsl40c’s and I put a 12AT7 in V2 and a 5751 in V4. And it made the amp much better for what I play,, it won’t make it sound like green crunch, but to my ears it got a lot better at what it does.

Cheers
Mitch

GuitarWatson

Reaction score
Thanks I may give that a try! I tried a SV20C but the treble channel was awful! I can’t understand how that amp passed through Marshall inspection and they thought that sounded good…..

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a DSL 40CR.………. I would like to make the ultra channel sound like the clean channel with the crunch button pressed in. Is this possible? Thanks
:welcome:
To The Forum
Try changing the v2 preamp tube to a lower gain ,, mine are the Dsl40c’s and I put a 12AT7 in V2 and a 5751 in V4. And it made the amp much better for what I play,, it won’t make it sound like green crunch, but to my ears it got a lot better at what it does.

Cheers
Mitch
Yeah, Mitch nailed it as usual,…

There are some other lower gain preamp tubes you can try, and in any position.

Here’s a chart of some of the more popular ones,…