Marshall Dsl 40c Issue, Need Your Help!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Would converting it to a single channel amp be possible/fix the issue? I don't use the gain at all on this thing and it still shits the bed while playing...
My Tech said a while back when he was working on it that if he could not figure it out he could turn it into a single channel amp easily. I never asked him how and after a lot of trouble shooting he was able to fix the dam thing.

TheUpriser

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm lurking around for a fix a long time now. But never got something concrete or a concrete solution.
After reading this threat I've decided to order a 10uf 100v cap and 4.7v zener diode. I'll report back if my amp is stable after the mod.

Thanks for your research about this problem. I had given up my DSL40c a year ago and went to a JVM. I came back to the DSL to hear it's sound again and I was sold again. Now I really want to try and get the DSL stable, because I love the sound but wouldn't gig it because of the problem it has.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm lurking around for a fix a long time now. But never got something concrete or a concrete solution.
After reading this threat I've decided to order a 10uf 100v cap and 4.7v zener diode. I'll report back if my amp is stable after the mod.

Thanks for your research about this problem. I had given up my DSL40c a year ago and went to a JVM. I came back to the DSL to hear it's sound again and I was sold again. Now I really want to try and get the DSL stable, because I love the sound but wouldn't gig it because of the problem it has.
The 10uf 100vcap and 4.7v zener is supposed to be the fix . It is what I was going to order and install . But strangely enough for months now , my DSL40C has not done that muting problem thing anymore . The only change is that I have been playing it just about every day since my decision to change that cap and diode . Go figure . Its been 100% stable , never muting , so I put off doing the work . But I will still get the parts on my next Digi-key order . Crazy great amp sounds awesome . Just that little issue to sort out . But quite glad it has "fixed itself " in the meantime. lol . Will see.

scotheath

Reaction score

Yes, this is the fix, I haven't had a problem with mine since I Replaced the stock cap and diode.

TheUpriser

Reaction score
Yes, this is the fix, I haven't had a problem with mine since I Replaced the stock cap and diode.
I hope it fixes the channel switch issue too. My amp is locked into red mode when the footswitch is not plugged in.

scotheath

Reaction score
how long has it been locked ? if you cycle the power does it fix it ? if it doesn't then that's something different than what this 10 page thread discusses

TheUpriser

Reaction score
how long has it been locked ? if you cycle the power does it fix it ? if it doesn't then that's something different than what this 10 page thread discusses
well.. rarely it unlocks. But when I power it on it starts on the red channel and I can't switch it with the channel switch button. I can only switch the channel with the footswitch. The amp also has the same problem as this thread discusses. So it maybe another problem you say? I already switched out the at chip and that did not solve anything.

could be this then: marshallforum.com/threads/dsl40c-front-panel-channel-switch-problem.64496/post-1577847

Edit:
Put the cap and diode in place, amp runs, so now it's the big waiting game. Also could tackle the channel switching problem. It was in fact the ground lug not touching the base when there is no cable in it. I replaced the plug with something working.

Last edited: