Marshall combo that's sounds closest to a old plexi head?

purpleplexi

Reaction score
I have both. The SV is a darned good plexi. The DSL can get you close-ish but in fairness does a lot of other stuff too.
If it's plexi you want SV is the answer. Funny how the cheaper solution almost never fits. Sorry.….

LoudStroud

Reaction score
I see you’ve received a ton of replies recommending the SV20C, although it doesn’t fit your criteria of under $1000 and 212. But also agree with others that a 212 combo doesnt really qualify as compact. Would actually prefer a separate head and 212 cab, but that takes you even further out a budget.

Bottom line, outside of the SV20C (or SV20H head w 212), you’ll be hard-pressed to find anything else out there that authentically replicates the sound and feel of a non-master volume plexi. Especially within the budget of under $1000.

I was thoroughly impressed and surprised at how well the SC20C, with it sgl 10” Celestion, authentically replicates “that” sound.

And don’t be put off by the shrill brightness of one on the floor at your local store. That is an easy fix between replacing the first ECC83 preamp tube and speaker choice. I’m actually very happy with the speaker that comes in the SV20C. It’s amazing how much you can fine-tune that amp simply with choice of tubes… Just like the real deal.

Your other option might be if you are lucky enough to find a used 1974X 20w 112 combo reissue. But again I’m sure even used it’ll be way over budget.

ken361

Reaction score
I see you’ve received a ton of replies recommending the SV20C, although it doesn’t fit your criteria of under $1000 and 212. But also agree with others that a 212 combo doesnt really qualify as compact. Would actually prefer a separate head and 212 cab, but that takes you even further out a budget.

Bottom line, outside of the SV20C (or SV20H head w 212), you’ll be hard-pressed to find anything else out there that authentically replicates the sound and feel of a non-master volume plexi. Especially within the budget of under $1000.

I was thoroughly impressed and surprised at how well the SC20C, with it sgl 10” Celestion, authentically replicates “that” sound.

And don’t be put off by the shrill brightness of one on the floor at your local store. That is an easy fix between replacing the first ECC83 preamp tube and speaker choice. I’m actually very happy with the speaker that comes in the SV20C. It’s amazing how much you can fine-tune that amp simply with choice of tubes… Just like the real deal.

Your other option might be if you are lucky enough to find a used 1974X 20w 112 combo reissue. But again I’m sure even used it’ll be way over budget.
The 800 is more brighter and middy that's why I like both

Old Punker

Reaction score
I don't see a 2x12" combo as "compact".

If you are tight on budget, maybe you can find one of these cheap:

@Moony I've had the 1W Blackheart Killer Ant since they first came out and always thought it had a Plexi style tone. I read somewhere recently that they used a Plexi pre amp and a fixed tone stack.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
A Origin20 of 50 head with a nice 2x12 cab....

That's probably as close as you're going to get with a tube Marshall under $1,000.

Not Marshall but I have always loved Peavey Classic 50s... I had a 2x12 that took a beating and could get Plexi'ish.

SV20c or SC20c and I've seen both pop up from time to time on Craigslist for $800ish... Not 2x12 but I personally believe the 1x10 definitely helps the 20watter get speaker distortion.

The 2266c is a great option in your price range (I think, prices are going up quickly) but is more JTM in flavor...

I think the Class5 has a Plexi spirit no matter what the naysayers say... Those are only 1x10s unless you snag the head and get a 2x12 cab... Loose bottom end I've.

Of course the most compact Plexi is the anniversary JMP1watt head or combo... Any of these anniversary 1 watters sound amazing.

Rooster-p

Reaction score
I have a jmp1 and 100w dual bloc power amp,I'm looking for something more compact, any suggestions?
I would go for the origin 50. Killer amp for a killer price and head first has a lot of mods available to make it even closer to a plexi. I personally think they sound great stock at a very reasonable price. Same design as the studio vintage and same components.

chocopopz

Reaction score
Totally agree with cccc regarding the sound accuracy of the 1 watters, especially the JMP1 and JCM1 (the JTM1 stands out too) as for nailing the plexi and jcm/jmp monster voicings.
They really shine on cream/greenbacks. I often use them as input to the JMD1 return loop when I wanna burn down the house. BTW the JMD1 is an outstanding beast at a decent price. It could fit your plexi sound requirements too, except for the compact size.

Caffeinated

Reaction score
The Origins are pretty good, definitely worth investigating. They do need some time to run in though and the stock speaker may not be to taste.

I kinda get the 'compact 2x12' thing. As a teen I had a 2x12 100w sp ch/rev JCM800 that was much smaller than my previous 4x12's and heads. As a 16+ kid it wasn't too heavy to lift one handed and cart around practice rooms, gigs, up stairs and so on. My brother had a SFTR. Now *that* was a heavy amp!

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I have a jmp1 and 100w dual bloc power amp,I'm looking for something more compact, any suggestions?

Too expensive,

I think you have a problem.

You already have a workable solution with the JMP-1H. You want a “better” solution for your needs, which was provided to a Tee: SV Combo. You countered with “too expensive.”

To review:
- You want a true Plexi tone.
- You want more portability than a 1w and power block
- You want it all for less than a Marshall Combo.

Ridiculous.

Your options are:
1. figuring a way to run the JMP-1 into the PA/Mixer in 0.1w mode;
2. buy some whiz-bang MiaB for the PA/Mixer and live w it; or
3. Nut up and buy the SV.

V-man

Reaction score
I think the OP has one of these:
View attachment 109200
And one of these:
View attachment 109201
And he said he wants a 40w+ tube 2x12 combo under $1k.
VM2266C or O50H+212 :yesway:
We agree on that, EXCEPT he wants a Plexi-Sound, not just any combo. VMs are cool amps, but are modern-rodded JTMs by design (may fit the bill, may not). The Origin as I appreciate it is a Plexi-sh sound, coming down the the dilemma of getting the more exacting tone (and paying for it) -SV, OR getting the more affordable amp (and compromising the exactness of tone) - Origin.

Browneyesound

Reaction score
A bluesbreaker JTM45 combo sounds like the description, other than the price.

If you are willing to learn amp building, you might get close to your budget if you take your time and find some deals on components (look for unfinished projects that someone is selling).

PlexiTom

Reaction score
After alot of research and testing different 2x12 amps ,I decided to stick with my beloved jmp1 and 9200 power amp and bought a orange ppc2x12ob cabinet w/celestion vintage 30s,Man that cabinet oozes quality!
My budget was around 1k,and the used market up here in 🇨🇦 has skyrocketed.

I would have preferred a marshall cab but ,I'm not going to pay over a grand for mdf wood.

Latest posts