marshall amps double price in USA?

playloud

Reaction score
I think its because the US has to spend quite a lot for the military protection of other countries that have none.. or spend very little on one. They get to send their kids to college, while we provide the bulk of security costs

That can't be it, because the government spending on higher education is comparable between the two countries.

The difference appears to be in how that money is spent (i.e. what is prioritized).

A couple weeks ago I inquired with a Marshall dealer in Europe about a cab that meets the size / weight requirements to ship to the U.S. The reason I didn't pull the trigger? I would be wholly responsible for all return shipping costs if it arrives damaged.

Nope

They didn't offer insurance? I had to make my first UPS claim recently and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. Sent photos to seller, seller forwarded to UPS. Seller received refund in days, and it was in my account within a week.

Kutt

Reaction score
They didn't offer insurance? I had to make my first UPS claim recently and was pleasantly surprised by how easy it was. Sent photos to seller, seller forwarded to UPS. Seller received refund in days, and it was in my account within a week.

It was not proactively mentioned by the dealer and I didn't bring it up either. It would have been my first international purchase of that size and monetary amount so I shied away.

playloud

Reaction score
It was not proactively mentioned by the dealer and I didn't bring it up either. It would have been my first international purchase of that size and monetary amount so I shied away.

It's worth asking. It's usually included on bigger items and/or with international carriers, and doesn't cost a whole lot (while damage obviously sucks when it happens to you, it isn't that common).

International purchases make the world more fun!

Kutt

Reaction score
It's worth asking. It's usually included on bigger items and/or with international carriers, and doesn't cost a whole lot (while damage obviously sucks when it happens to you, it isn't that common).

International purchases make the world more fun!
Thanks. I'm a bit gun shy because when I ordered my Jubilee 4x12 about 5 years ago it took THREE tries to get one that was not damaged. It was enough of a headache dealing with the GC brick and mortar store, let alone an international seller.

Marshall's packaging was utterly pathetic and I assume it still is. Almost no protective packaging other than thin cardboard corners inside the box. The cab was not wrapped and there was no protective foam anywhere to be found. Just Tolex-on-box. All three. One had cracked wood and tears, the other just tears. Only after I demanded that the third one be double boxed did it survive the trip.

JBA

Reaction score
You can get them around $700 brand new today. View attachment 111785
:drool: Alright I think we need to circle back to this post (hoping you are not joking). What is the line voltage for these amps (not that it’s a total deal breaker for me). Has anyone purchased here from Canada? Also curious about U.S. experiences. Good / Bad experience? Total price delivered after all the this and that fees?

The old credit card is vibrating in my pocket right now. :D

Chris Banuelos

Reaction score
:drool: Alright I think we need to circle back to this post (hoping you are not joking). What is the line voltage for these amps (not that it’s a total deal breaker for me). Has anyone purchased here from Canada? Also curious about U.S. experiences. Good / Bad experience? Total price delivered after all the this and that fees?

The old credit card is vibrating in my pocket right now. :D
230v I’m using a step up/down converter on the jvm that I purchased. I have a 110/120 power transformer on order. New transformer is $130, even with that added cost I’m still waaaay ahead.

Reactions: JBA

JBA

Reaction score
230v I’m using a step up/down converter on the jvm that I purchased. I have a 110/120 power transformer on order. New transformer is $130, even with that added cost I’m still waaaay ahead.

Ich bin so aufgeregt! :D

lespaul6

Reaction score
That can't be it, because the government spending on higher education is comparable between the two countries.

The difference appears to be in how that money is spent (i.e. what is prioritized).

playloud

Reaction score

Boring topic for a guitar forum, but doesn't this support what I'm saying?

The key table is this one: https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d21/tables/dt21_605.20.asp

If you look under the "postsecondary institutions" section, you will see that in 2018, government expenditures in Germany amounted to 1.0% of GDP, whereas in the US, they amounted to 0.9%. If you prefer absolute terms, then using the GDP figures cited in the accompanying table here, the German govt spent approx. 54955*0.01 ~ $549.55 per capita, whereas the US spent approx. 61408*0.009 ~ $552.67 (virtually identical amounts).

If - as you contend - the US spent so generously on their military that they couldn't afford to fund their postsecondary education system... how come they nevertheless spent as much as Germany?

I'm not arguing for or against university tuition fees here (no politics), merely pointing out that - as a matter of cold numerical fact - the amount of tax money currently being spent on higher education is about the same in both countries.

lespaul6

Reaction score
Boring topic for a guitar forum, but doesn't this support what I'm saying?

The key table is this one: https://nces.ed.gov/programs/digest/d21/tables/dt21_605.20.asp

If you look under the "postsecondary institutions" section, you will see that in 2018, government expenditures in Germany amounted to 1.0% of GDP, whereas in the US, they amounted to 0.9%. If you prefer absolute terms, then using the GDP figures cited in the accompanying table here, the German govt spent approx. 54955*0.01 ~ $549.55 per capita, whereas the US spent approx. 61408*0.009 ~ $552.67 (virtually identical amounts).

If - as you contend - the US spent so generously on their military that they couldn't afford to fund their postsecondary education system... how come they nevertheless spent as much as Germany?

I'm not arguing for or against university tuition fees here (no politics), merely pointing out that - as a matter of cold numerical fact - the amount of tax money currently being spent on higher education is about the same in both countries.
I don't contend... we actually do spend entirely too much for security. Do you think your military is capable of defending itself against Russia or China as it now stands? You guys will probably run out of nat gas shortly, water rationing, and electricity blackouts- if current reports are accurate. Who do you think is going to help you? Also, we are a much bigger country so the amount spent has to support a greater number of people/students. Additionally, that is precisely why germany can spend more on students... they only recently started paying NATO as they should.

GregM

Reaction score
Hello ban hammer ! But as it's still open , when was the last time USA went to war alone ? ( Apart from the invasion of Pakistan, good result but very very bad way to go about it )
To my mind England and Australia , probably NZ and others have always gone to war with you , so why do Germany need to beat xxx by themselves .
Personally I don't think you guys could beat China by yourselves .
Oh and on a more important note . I bought a white sc20h a year ago for 1599 Aussie dollars, a black one is still for sale brand new for 1499 dollars , same price as a year ago ( but there were no black ones a year ago )

lespaul6

Reaction score
Hello ban hammer ! But as it's still open , when was the last time USA went to war alone ? ( Apart from the invasion of Pakistan, good result but very very bad way to go about it )
To my mind England and Australia , probably NZ and others have always gone to war with you , so why do Germany need to beat xxx by themselves .
Oh and on a more important note . I bought a white sc20h a year ago for 1599 Aussie dollars, a black one is still for sale brand new for 1499 dollars , same price as a year ago ( but there were no black ones a year ago )
I actually just purchased a new amp from germany.. so I'm doing my part!

playloud

Reaction score
I don't contend... we actually do spend entirely too much for security. Do you think your military is capable of defending itself against Russia or China as it now stands? You guys will probably run out of nat gas shortly, water rationing, and electricity blackouts- if current reports are accurate. Who do you think is going to help you? Also, we are a much bigger country so the amount spent has to support a greater number of people/students. Additionally, that is precisely why germany can spend more on students... they only recently started paying NATO as they should.

I'm not European. The difference in populations is precisely why I used "per capita" in my comparison. As you can see from the figures, Germany spends almost exactly the same amount as the US.

Some subset of those countries tried to help the US military against such global juggernauts as Vietnam, Iraq and Afghanistan... and all got handily defeated each time. I don't see anyone beating China in the immediate future. Hopefully we can all agree to hope it doesn't come to that!

I actually just purchased a new amp from germany.. so I'm doing my part!

Rock on! Which amp?

wakjob

Reaction score
Holy Crap... just looking into prices for a decent 2205 or 2210.

No thank you.

L0oniX

Reaction score
I mean who are you kidding?
3900 for 1959 HW in usa and 2000 usd new in Europe?
Who takes that kind of chunk percentage? I mean that is like 50 % cost rip off lol
I want to strat exporting Marshalls to USA lol
I hear that. Bought my SC20CNB from a store in Austria for $923 ...add $110 for shipping. Here they are $1,599.99 at Sam Ash. Seen them for higher than that too.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear that. Bought my SC20CNB from a store in Austria for $923 ...add $110 for shipping. Here they are $1,599.99 at Sam Ash. Seen them for higher than that too.
That’s a deal, everywhere I go they’re $1749.

Latest posts