Marshall 3315 - Pulled the BEAST back out.

Neptical

Reaction score
Yesterday I decided to fire up the 3315. Probably the only amp aside from my other 3210s that hasn't been fired up in awhile. Good lord, it sounds HUGE. 150w SS that easily competes against even any tube amp I own ( hello Rev. g Dual Rec). Quite a bit of difference versus the 3210s with that big iron. Fantastic cleans, big grindy dirt. I would love to put this next to a JCM 800. I had an offer on another one two years ago that I kind of wish I had grabbed. Dang!

Anyone else ever get ahold of one? Rare as hens teeth. Grab one if you see one.

AmpAddict

Reaction score
@Neptical I think you’re one of maybe three guys on here that have played one, let alone own one! Haha! I would love the opportunity, for sure.

Edit: I think @AmpAddict said in a recent thread that he used to own a 150w Mosfet combo. Would that be the 5150? That’s also really rare, I believe.

Hi, yes, you're right; I had one of the combos and it would have been the 5150. I was trying to move up from practice amps to a 'proper' gigging one and went to one of the local music shops, which was a Marshall dealer.

Even with teenage bravado, I'm sure I hadn't intended on 150 watts but they didn't have the 100w version and I think for some reason 50 didn't seem enough (size seemed to matter in those days!). I'd tried to fulfil my Velvet Underground fantasies by buying a second-hand Vox AC30 but my total lack of valve amp experience resulted in what could most politely be described as a purchasing faux pas and suitably chastened by the experience I skulked back to transistors (and ain't it funny how life keeps on repeating itself..!).

Anyway, the 5150 was certainly a few steps up from my Lead 12 in terms of involving the neighbours when I had friends round for a jam and it gave my mother an excuse not to vacuum behind the sofa, as the amp resided there and was too heavy for her to move!

I'm ashamed to admit that I never got to gig it but I did sell it to a fellow student at the local college. His band had their first performance at a local club and their singer, who happened to be a girl friend of mine, helped to persuade him that my conveniently available amp would satisfy his Hendrix tendencies. Deal done, I went along to see them play and so at last got to experience 'my' amp in its rightful setting...just wish I'd been the one playing through it!

That was over thirty years ago (at this point, I pause to try and work out where the time went...I'm still pausing...) and my experience of amps was so limited that I was pretty much clueless as to the merits of the amp. It did of course have the mosfet 'thump' when you switched it on, which was even more impactful going through two speakers! I wish I'd had the awareness of tones and amp characteristics then so I could have stored in my memory its particular strengths and weaknesses but I didn't.

I sold it to finance a Fender amp, which had castors; it was my mother's favourite amp, because she could push it around to vacuum.... If only that were the criteria on which I judged an amp! Although, as I get older, maybe she had a point...

Neptical

Reaction score
@Neptical I think you’re one of maybe three guys on here that have played one, let alone own one! Haha! I would love the opportunity, for sure.

Edit: I think @AmpAddict said in a recent thread that he used to own a 150w Mosfet combo. Would that be the 5150? That’s also really rare, I believe.

Lol. Yuppers! I really haven't seen much talk of these on here! If I remember correctly, I believe @Drinkingdeath01 is another 3315 owner.

Now, I'm curious on that 5150! Lol. If it's anything like this, that amp seriously sounds HUGE.

Did Marshall make like..8 of these? 😂

bigheadstocklover

Reaction score
I just got one of these yesterday, for next to nothing. Bad news is, It's not working at the moment. Power light comes on, but no sound comes out of the cab. Swapped all cables, tried different cab, etc...still doesn't work. I pulled the chassis and it actually looks super clean and unmolested, nothing obvious blown/burned. Does it actually need the footswitch to operate? I doubt that but thought I'd ask.

bigheadstocklover

Reaction score
Plug your guitar straight into the efx-loop
return.

Might need to turn the Mastervolume up a
little, but not necessarily.

Get sound?
Thanks. No sound when doing that. also made me think to try - ran a line from the "pre amp out" of a different amp to the "power amp in" of the 3315(guitar was plugged into the other amp input for this test of course), no sound. Also from 3315 "pre-amp out" to the power amp in of another known working amp, while plugged into the input of the 3315, no sound.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
If you cant get signal out of the efxsend then
you probably have a fault at the input-jack of
the 3315 or the input-ic or somewhere inbetweenst input and efxsend.

Edit: (had 2.5 beers already).

You get nothing out of the pre-amp out
and you get nothing plugged into the efxreturn?

That would mean something in the preamp
is wonky and something in the poweramp too.

Sounds unusual to me. But not impossible since transistoramps can fail from front to
back, but this one probably not.

Maybe a bad Mastervolumepot.
Have to look at the schematic later.

You might make a thread in the workbench section.

Last edited:

bigheadstocklover

Reaction score
yeah seems pretty odd, especially since the amp is so clean inside and out. I will make a thread over there. So just verifying, I don't need a footswitch plugged in for this amp to work, right? Without a footswitch, how do I know which channel I'm even one, there's no manual channel switching on these? Thanks so much.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Take a stereo or even mono plug and insert into
the footswitch jack, see if the channels change.

For now, i saw that it has separate efxsend/retrn
and pwrin/out.

Clean ALL JACKS with electronics contactcleaner before doing anymore work. (The SWITCHCONTACTS in the jacks!)

Edit: no plug into the fs jack has either the nomal ch. engaged, the boost chnl. engaged (red light on) or both on.

Last edited:

bigheadstocklover

Reaction score
Take a stereo or even mono plug and insert into
the footswitch jack, see if the channels change.

For now, i saw that it has separate efxsend/retrn
and pwrin/out.

Clean ALL JACKS with electronics contactcleaner before doing anymore work. (The SWITCHCONTACTS in the jacks!)
no change when a plug is put in the footswitch jack.
I don't have any contact cleaner, you mean something like Deoxit?

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
:welcome:
To The Forum
Hope you get it figured out.. I hear they are great amps.
Sorry I am of no help here.. but @Tatzmann has already given you all the suggestions I would have.

Cheers
Mitch

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Well wtf! I don't recall these!

My new love for 80s MarSShall amps has me dying to find one of these now!... My Peavey Supreme is 160watts and it's probably one of the loudest damn amps I have ever heard, probably louder than a 1959!

You ain't kidding when you call it a Beast... How much are these generally going for?

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Yes Deoxit, clean all the input/output contacts and the pots, *maybe* it sat for years and the volume pots are bad. I've had amps I had no sound out of or the sound cutting in and out due to dirty volume pots.

It's worth a shot, good luck as that seems like a REALLY cool amp!

Latest posts