Marshall 2204 experts—did I just waste $500?

jchrisf

Reaction score
That sounds like a steal if you ask me.. and I know your ears will be able to quickly tell how great it is when you play with all your experience and talent.

XTRXTR

Reaction score
You got great beginnings. I worry about the heater wires for the preamp tubes being under the board as a hum source. It also looks like the PT is on the same plane/axis as the OT even though its far away it could still be a source of hum as well. I think I would rewire the MV to its normal position, I might even rewire the whole thing in a different layout, i.e. the bias to the top, make shorter wire runs in general.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
It may be interesting to learn what that "tube socket without a tube" is/was intended for? The sum of component prices has got to be close to what you paid. The workmanship does not look terrible, except for the cabinet. Who knows, it may sound great?
Nice Score!
Gene

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a steal if you ask me.. and I know your ears will be able to quickly tell how great it is when you play with all your experience and talent.
You are too kind. I usually do deserve to be mocked tho for the record

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It may be interesting to learn what that "tube socket without a tube" is/was intended for? The sum of component prices has got to be close to what you paid. The workmanship does not look terrible, except for the cabinet. Who knows, it may sound great?
Nice Score!
Gene
Guy was a cool dude--said during COVID he just needed something to do. He had an 18w Marshall and an AC30 clone there that he was keeping. Said he originally intended to incorporate another gain stage but the few things he tried sounded tinny and thin so he put it back to stock.

Plugged it in for a bit--next to the SC20 it sounds the same but bigger like it should. Hearing a little whine when I push it I'm thinking at this price I can retube at least the el34s. Not sure what to think of the bias pot--never seen that. My Twin Sister is at the tech now for new power tubes--I'll drop this off when I pick that one up. I think it's def a win--as long as new tubes fix that whine I'll prob splurge for a 'real' cab, although this plywood box he bolted together is pretty damn solid. Solid find!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I edited the link, because it was redirecting through a spam link...

1665025143854.png

just trimmed it.

When I clicked on it, I was blocked due to the spam link. Remove the link & it goes straight to the Reverb ad...

South Park

Reaction score
you got a good deal the parts cost that much. dont worry about the wire layout it is not worth the work.you should check the solder connections

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I edited the link, because it was redirecting through a spam link...

View attachment 116508

just trimmed it.

When I clicked on it, I was blocked due to the spam link. Remove the link & it goes straight to the Reverb ad...
Thanks DoD--sorry for spreading spam!

This amp sounds great--it had a GE 12ax7 in the middle socket, which surprised me. I moved it to the tube position closest to the input jack--I'm assuming that's V1?

It rips

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Thanks DoD--sorry for spreading spam!

This amp sounds great--it had a GE 12ax7 in the middle socket, which surprised me. I moved it to the tube position closest to the input jack--I'm assuming that's V1?

It rips
I think phones do it, purposefully...

Latest posts