Marshall 2204 Dookie Mod Clone (Green Day)

JM5010

Reaction score
Once again, you guys are absolutely right. Sounds pretty damn good! This is with the gain on 9, and the guitar turned down to compensate. Same EQ settings. I'm back in my dorm so I couldn't record at proper volume.
Mystery solved lol. The dookie mod is 100% trying to replicate a cranked jumpered 1959 sound, but with a master volume and more low mids. keyword here is cranked, meaning that it sounds like the 4700pf bright cap is out of the circuit on the bright channel.

To achieve this, I theorize that one can simply change the 1M/220pf mixer to something extraordinary, like 100k/2200pf, or 47k/4700pf. So the same 720hz cutoff, but more gain at lower levels. The way you'll know if you achieved the right amount of gain is if it fizzes out past 5/6, as billie joe's guitar tech describes in the rig rundown video. Or maybe you can simply raise or lower the gain knob in a way that would make 3.5 on the knob sound like it's on 10. Then you add a low value bright cap to taste, ranging from 100pf-470pf. This would make that "cranked jumpered sound" less dull, but not ear piercing like a 4700pf cap.

Last edited:

JM5010

Reaction score

Here's a simpler eq. Last clip had the same EQ settings, with the mids scooped slightly. This circuit is gonna be a joy to record with.

Ranger

Reaction score
I don't usually do this, but I feel like I need to butt in because there is so much misinformation being spread.

Sadly the real schematic for this mod will always remain a secret, locked behind the egotistical doors of a few certain individuals.
It's more likely that you are absolutely unwilling to pay people with decades of experience some money for their labor and their know-how. Just contact LA Sound Design and have your amp modded, they still do the mods.

And what was that again when you were trying to sell your fake dookie mods for money on Reverb? Well, if that's not riding other peoples' coattails, I don't know what is...

No one is being egoistical there. I think we have some of the kindest and most selfless people in this industry. But you have to understand that people shut down when they realize they're being fooled and taken advantage of.

there's some guy in Belgium who does the mod, says he's worked with the band in the past
I'm pretty sure I've seen one of his amps and they couldn't be further from the original. A CAE crunch channel will get you much closer than that. However the CAE schematic posted is not quite correct either. That's why you feel it's muddy and has too much gain.

The Dookie Mod and the Crunch Mod are not the same thing. The crunch mod is a bit more aggressive in the highs and overall more versatile. The Dookie mod has a slightly smoother distortion and is very mid forward, obviously sounding more like Green Day. They're very unforgiving amps but both sound great, even at bedroom level.

The album itself was recorded with Rob Cavallo's modded 70s Marshall JMP, which has a similar mod but not the same.

~Ranger

john l

Reaction score
I don't usually do this, but I feel like I need to butt in because there is so much misinformation being spread.

It's more likely that you are absolutely unwilling to pay people with decades of experience some money for their labor and their know-how. Just contact LA Sound Design and have your amp modded, they still do the mods.

And what was that again when you were trying to sell your fake dookie mods for money on Reverb? Well, if that's not riding other peoples' coattails, I don't know what is...

No one is being egoistical there. I think we have some of the kindest and most selfless people in this industry. But you have to understand that people shut down when they realize they're being fooled and taken advantage of.

I'm pretty sure I've seen one of his amps and they couldn't be further from the original. A CAE crunch channel will get you much closer than that. However the CAE schematic posted is not quite correct either. That's why you feel it's muddy and has too much gain.

The Dookie Mod and the Crunch Mod are not the same thing. The crunch mod is a bit more aggressive in the highs and overall more versatile. The Dookie mod has a slightly smoother distortion and is very mid forward, obviously sounding more like Green Day. They're very unforgiving amps but both sound great, even at bedroom level.

The album itself was recorded with Rob Cavallo's modded 70s Marshall JMP, which has a similar mod but not the same.

~Ranger
I agree. This place is full of wonderful people that truly are into sharing info. Regarding the crunch modded amps. Both of the ones Ive been in were LA Sound amps and they were as I described. Waaaaay too much gain... or at least they got unusable pretty fast as you turned up. Ive seen photos of others and it really does seem Martin probably tweaked a little on a specific amps that needed a little more or less of something, someone saw one like this and ran with the idea that it was a different mod.

Just talking shop here not disputing what youre saying or anything.

Ranger

Reaction score
Waaaaay too much gain... or at least they got unusable pretty fast as you turned up.

Yes, that is normal. The way the gain pot works in these circuits I would describe as kind of a bass-feed control. The bright cap lets throgh all the upper mid and high frequencies. As you turn it up the potentiometer controls the amount of lower mids and bass that goes into the following gain stages. So your maximum gain is pretty much all in at around 4. Below that the higher frequencies are attenuated as well. It is possible to get some different (even clean) tones. If you go past 4 you're just adding more bass and that's why things start to get unusable and muddy.
So yeah, they're a bit of a one-trick pony in that regard.

Just talking shop here not disputing what youre saying or anything.

Don't worry, I mean, we're here to share and discuss our experiences, and I like to hear other people's stories as well.

~Ranger

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
After almost 3 years of messing with different value resistors and capacitors, I am deciding to give up on trying to replicate the Green Day Dookie album sound. Sadly the real schematic for this mod will always remain a secret, locked behind the egotistical doors of a few certain individuals.

This is my Marshall 2204 clone with the CAE "Crunch Mod" (Schematic here). My amp has a 470pf bright cap and treble cap instead of 220pf.
Not the exact dookie mod, but a very similar circuit! Sounds better with the master on 6. I have fallen in love with this circuit and am now gonna enjoy it rather than keep messing with it. Hope you guys enjoy!

Here's a clip that's EQ'd slightly. Apologize for the picking sound, i am back in my dorm room and could not record at proper volume

very nice. ive always liked the green day tones.

DannyDoyle

Reaction score
Just contact LA Sound Design and have your amp modded, they still do the mods.

To clarify, LA Sound Design doesn’t do amp mods anymore after Martin’s passing as per what they told me a few months back.

For the last two years, I’ve had alerts setup on all platforms for the keyword “Dookie Mod” and have had radio silence on those alerts for quite some time. They are basically impossible to find — and I’ve certainly tried heh.

cap217

Reaction score
I have a 79 jmp modded by Martin in the Bradshaw days. I bought it from a collector who had it for years. The amp doesn’t sound like you would think. It’s the se crunch mod and tube loop. It’s very very picky in settings. A touch too much (usually above 7 on anything ) and it’s flubby and woofy. It sounds great in a mix. It’s just not what you would think it sounds like.

john l

Reaction score
I have a 79 jmp modded by Martin in the Bradshaw days. I bought it from a collector who had it for years. The amp doesn’t sound like you would think. It’s the se crunch mod and tube loop. It’s very very picky in settings. A touch too much (usually above 7 on anything ) and it’s flubby and woofy. It sounds great in a mix. It’s just not what you would think it sounds like.
Exactly…. Its good for that one tone and thats about it. You just need to not look at the settings and dial in by ear.

cap217

Reaction score
Exactly…. Its good for that one tone and thats about it. You just need to not look at the settings and dial in by ear.

I don’t know. It does sound good. Just not a high gain amp people would assume. I will say the feel and the harmonics are great on this amp. That’s something that you can never explain unless it’s played.

Here is my amp. iphone recording....

Last edited:

cap217

Reaction score
Ill also add this. I saw a rig rundown with their amps and I think the gain was on 3. That would make sense. I run the gain around 6-7 which is about the max for this amp for it to sound good. If I could crank the master, Im sure its a different setting.

JM5010

Reaction score

~Ranger
A bit late seeing this, but that Reverb listing was a joke to piss people off. I wouldn't sell my amp. Wanted a step in the right direction and got nothing besides info I already knew, so that reverb listing seemed like a hilarious idea. For example, I already knew that the Dookie Mod is based on the Crunch Mod, with minor adjustments. I asked a few individuals who know how to do the mod: where on the circuit is the best place to start with adjustments? Simply got "Can't tell you, similar to the Crunch mod". I don't expect exact values at all, and don't want to see such a schematic, but some hints would go a long way. My amp is a 2204 clone, so doing the dookie mod on my amp would require different values etc. compared to a real early 90's 1959S.
I enjoy the critical thinking aspect of all this.

Last edited:

JM5010

Reaction score
Yes, that is normal. The way the gain pot works in these circuits I would describe as kind of a bass-feed control. The bright cap lets throgh all the upper mid and high frequencies. As you turn it up the potentiometer controls the amount of lower mids and bass that goes into the following gain stages. So your maximum gain is pretty much all in at around 4. Below that the higher frequencies are attenuated as well. It is possible to get some different (even clean) tones. If you go past 4 you're just adding more bass and that's why things start to get unusable and muddy.
So yeah, they're a bit of a one-trick pony in that regard.

Don't worry, I mean, we're here to share and discuss our experiences, and I like to hear other people's stories as well.

~Ranger
I have definitely noticed the gain pot works this way with CAE circuits. My theory is using a low value resistor for the mixer combination, like 100k/2200pf and work from there. But that's just one part of the whole mod in its entirety i'm sure.

JM5010

Reaction score
Emailed them. It looks like JP Audio has now picked up amp mods for them — so that’s new!
Too bad he's in Belgium. Shipping might cost as much as the mod itself. I thought about sending my amp to him, but i'm in the U.S and the costs are very high.

JM5010

Reaction score
Recently experimented with changing the corner frequency (the 470pf/470k mixer) and got some interesting results. Thinking the frequency for this isn't the typical Marshall 720hz. Tweaking this to around 330hz with a 220pf bright cap brought out some cool sounds. Maybe the frequency is higher or lower, who knows.

JM5010

Reaction score
On this amp, Golub just used what appears to be an 820 ohm resistor with no cap on V2A cathode if you look closely. This is from a publicly accessible well known Reverb listing. Just describing my observations.
Tone stack values are stock except for the treble cap and slope resistor.
What is weird to me is the 65k (or 6.5k, not sure which is correct, hard to see color codes.) resistor after the second coupling cap.
This would be R11 on the 2203 preamp schematic. Seems like there is a lot of gain being cut right here due to a possible large value cathode cap adding tons of gain on V1B, which is then attenuated by the grid stopper before it goes to V2A. Not saying this part is true, just a theory.

Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 9.32.56 PM.png Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 9.33.17 PM.png

JM5010

Reaction score
Modded my amp according to my above post. Seems like there's too much distortion or treble.
v1a
cathode: 2k7/0.68uf
coupling cap: 0.1uf
plate resistor: 220k/500pf
mixer: 470k/220pf
bright cap: 220pf

v2a
coupling: 0.022uf
cathode: 2k7/10uf
voltage divider: 68k
grid stopper: 470k

v3a
cathode: 820ohm

Last edited:

john l

Reaction score
I don’t know. It does sound good. Just not a high gain amp people would assume. I will say the feel and the harmonics are great on this amp. That’s something that you can never explain unless it’s played.

Here is my amp. iphone recording....

Totally not down talking the amp's sound. Plenty of kliller one trick ponies out there and IMHO a good crunch tone is the most important part of what makes a great amp for what I do. What I am saying is that the mod is not at all what most people expect it to be when they actually sit down with it.

Latest posts