Marshall 1987 vs. 2204 for vintage AC/DC (Angus) tone?

SGACE

Reaction score
Even the G12 T75 has scooping mids that came out after 1981.. the only way to find out which speaker is more appropriate is by trial and error.. vintage 30 is a good all around speaker, but it will not serve the BNB project. The g12-65 came in the right period, is more mid scooped than greenbacks, but only with tests will know what is more into the tone.

I almost forgot, of course Fil, I want to see that photograph, so send it when you can in [email protected]

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Only saw your full post now. Sending you the pic.
I am reading around about V30s. There IS a lot of mids - nasal tone - in BiB, clearly audible. I need to understand - and I will need time - what is the best speaker to give that nasal tone. At times, these two days, I seemed to find it right there probably thanks to the combination of the 2203 (it's NOT a NMV super lead, it was a MV) and V30s.
Best would be to crank it up high with no attenuation, but for that I'll need to go to the usual huge place with no neighbors around. Before that though, I will make recording attempts with a great microphone and some equalization BEFORE the sound goes to "tape" (just like in Platt's signal path back then). A lot has to be uncovered still... lotsa work!

SGACE

Reaction score
At the time of BNB recordings the available speakers are the greenback, the g12h30, the g12-65 and maybe I am not sure if where the g12-T70 ( later g12-T75). The vintage 30's came very later on.. so as I said only with trial and error will get the right result.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
At the time of BNB recordings the available speakers are the greenback, the g12h30, the g12-65 and maybe I am not sure if where the g12-T70 ( later g12-T75). The vintage 30's came very later on.. so as I said only with trial and error will get the right result.

Right. I'm searching the web again the web for info.
Though scattered, imprecise and to be doubted, it says here he used "G12H30s" for a time, now preferring V30s":
The Ultimate AC/DC Blog: Get That Tone: Angus Young

SGACE

Reaction score
g12h30 is a really nice speaker, but I cant be sure because there is a lack of information about that period (I mean AC/DC recordings). I have searched the web (hopefully not enough)but I didnt gathered any information that it will make me be sure about.

Now if it is supposed that he used a g12h30 that means that the speaker was a 55hz, correct if I am wrong.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
g12h30 is a really nice speaker, but I cant be sure because there is a lack of information about that period (I mean AC/DC recordings). I have searched the web (hopefully not enough)but I didnt gathered any information that it will make me be sure about.

I know, same here. Only thing I found is that thing above. And a commercial statement on celestion where it says Angus always used G12Ms greenbacks.
What I am going to likely be doing is to buy two G12H30 and mix them with the V30s in X shape in the non slanted cabinet. That will help.
That, and trying the vintage cabinet with original 25W greenbacks.

SGACE

Reaction score
I had this combination in a 2x12 cab, nice but something was missing. One other thing is that from all the photos and the videos, it is obvious that both were using a JMP cabinets with black grillcloth, that means that the back of these cabs was made from particle board and not like the 1969 and backwards cabinets that were made with Plywood back. black grillcloth came out around the time of 1977.

SoloDallas

Reaction score
George, I pulled the trigger on a 1973 non slanted 4x12 with vintage G12H30s in it, probably the missing link. If not... just some more good gear to amass now that I can.
The "epoca" of the cabinet isn't proper, since it's earlier. The speakers are though. I'm going by "subsequent iterations by approximation" (laughs).

See it here:

Angus’ Cabinets and Speakers

SGACE

Reaction score
Ok, now at your site, you have opened three threads that can summarize all the appropriate information
- Angus first guitar
- Which amp gives the AC/DC tone
- Which cabinet can be more appropriate

Good work, my friend..
Testing one 4x12 closed back with greenbacks one with g12h30 gives you results of the 2/3 of the existing choices.

davidwilsoon

Reaction score
i feel your pain...
orange recently dropped their rocker 30 too.

:(

Relax, fellas. They're not being discontinued. According to "Steve D" over on the Vinatge Marshall forum, only the purple tolex models are being discontuned. Once that stock is fully depleted, the VM will continue to be available, but only in black.

yladrd61

Reaction score
Have you guys ever heard the all female AC/DC tribute band Hell's Belles I know them and they totally rock. Adrian Connor the lead guitar player totally nails Angus' tone with a JCM 2000 and an SG. They were rated as the best AC/DC tribute band by AC/DC themselves. These girls know how to ROCK go check them out \m/_

jupiter89

Reaction score
Marty: do you have the 6550's or the EL34's in your JMP 2203 ?

I am a little confused after looking at this picture.
jupiter89-albums-my-marshalls-stuff-picture3705-ac-dc-pic.jpg

Wonder what amps those are ? JMP's have 2 holes (and master vol) - but these have 4, but they sure look like JMP's by the cabinet and rockers switches. :hmm:

The six knobs have to be Presence, Bass, Middle, Treble, Vol 1. Vol 2 because there's 2 channels (4 holes) - therefore NO "Master Vol".

So because of the 2 channels, and no master volume, they might be Plexi's like the 1959 100watt, but in a JCM cabinet and with rocker switches instead of toggles too ??? The amps look just like SoloDallas' avatar ! I'm even more confused now. :wtf:

As SGACE summed up:
2 holes master volume JMP 2203 2204 (100w & 50w)
4 holes non-master volume 1959 1987 (100w & 50w)

SoloDallas

Reaction score
I like your avatar better than mine, though.
But anyway, waiting on Marty, AC/DC had both types of JMPs, 2203/04s and Super Leads/1987s. It's pretty much proved by tons of pics

jupiter89

Reaction score
Well I got this sort of cleared up in my head. A JMP can be a 2 hole master volume like the 2203 and 2204, (as in JCM's) AND it can also came in a 4 hole non-master vol. 1959 and 1987 (as in plexis) << that's what confused me - I thought those model numbers were for plexi heads only .

SoloDallas

Reaction score
Yes Jupiter, JMP stands for "Jim Marshall Products", it was generic. 1959, 1987, 2203 & 2204 are circuit/model names.

EJstrat&JVM

Reaction score
EJstratjvm, I don't understand?

My JMP 50 is a model 1987 and Marshall still makes the 1987, :confused:

You can take a 1987 and cascade the front end and you'll have a 2204.

Yes, but the result would be different, for all the reasons we explained in the JMP petition thread, if you read it carefully you will see why there are changes through the years. I love the 1987x anyway, it sounds better than a JCM800 to me, imagine what could it be if they make them with power scaling and autobias!

jupiter89

Reaction score
Love returning to this thread, and focusing on AC/DC. I remember my peers at the time giving me crap for liking them because "their stuff is so basic", and I would snap back saying maybe it is, but it sounds so fucking good, it's catchy and you don't grow tired of it! 40 years or more and it still sounds great and better than a lot of stuff out there.