Marshall 1960B 1998 vs Marshall 1960B 2001

gsnake

Reaction score
I had two of these in my 'hands' so I could compare how they both sound.. They both had GT75 Celestions but the 1998 cab sounded way better than 2001.. Was it because this cab had played more? Or this could have something with the speakers? The 1998 ones had the numbers printed on the metal while 2001 had a sticker with that information.. They should be both made in UK. Just curious..

gsnake

Reaction score
more crunchy, more distorted.. the other one was a bit louder and more pronounced highs..

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Probably due to break-in of the speakers. Newer speakers will be louder and more highs, comparatively speaking.

You might try swapping the speakers and compare again to see if the cab made a difference.

gsnake

Reaction score
yes, this is exactly the case!
wow, never thought the cab itself would make a difference. they both look the same inside. plywood with the mdf back panel. I have put two Greenbacks into the 'newer' one and now it sounds better. Probably do the same to the other one - will install two greenbacks and position them diagonally.

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
out of interest was one on castors and one not? that can have an effect on the cabs sound, likewise room placement, it might also be worth checking that both cabs speakers have the same cones, having said that some stuff just ages/breaks in better than other stuff

gsnake

Reaction score
i have removed the castors from both and put them on the 1/2 rubber pads. How would check the cones? never done that before..

Attachments

• cabs2.jpg
    cabs2.jpg
    890.6 KB · Views: 2

pulsonicsound

Reaction score
@gsnake you just have to find the cone code on the speaker, its on the rear so you'll have to remove the back of the cab, a mirror and a torch works as does using your phone to take a photo(with flash), both. abs should have 1777 lead cones but celestion did change the specs of the g12t-75 during its run, not to mention that you also see g12t-75's with bass cones

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a couple of both of those era cabs--I find it hard to believe anyone could discern one from the other with the same speakers.

gsnake

Reaction score
I had three people sitting with me and noticing the same thing.

tallcoolone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had three people sitting with me and noticing the same thing.
But you said the speakers were different, correct? I would say with confidence that was the difference.

gsnake

Reaction score
Yes. 1998 vs 2001 years made. And I guess the newer ones were less used hence the difference.