Marijuana

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
A couple of days ago, here in Argentina, they modified the law. It was decriminalized, but they modifid it and made it illegal again. And for several months now we've been observing an increase of officers wandering the streets. :ugh:

Last edited:

Garrett

Reaction score
Live and let live man.

Matter of time, you can see the mood of the country shifting as more states "legalize it mon".

If you don't like alcohol, caffeine, pot, etc.....then don't ingest them. I'm not telling anyone else how to live their life.

Worst thing pots heads ever do is sit on a couch and play video games, play guitar, watch movies and munch out.

People been smoking weed for very long time. It will never stop.

Weed is not heroin. I smoked weed but never did heroin so don't give me that "gateway drug" argument...

Weed ain't coke or meth or any other lab cooked drug.

Country is way past broke, pushing $20 trillion in debt. Do we need to waste any more tax payer money on prosecuting weed related offenses?

This link is crazy with debt numbers;
http://www.usdebtclock.org/

How'd prohibition work out with alcohol?

Again, alcohol is legal and better in what way versus weed?

Live and let live, man. Live and let live.

lucidspoon

Reaction score
I say legalize it. I don't smoke anymore, haven't for years. Cigarettes and whiskey are legal, and that shit is way more harmful. Trust me.
Same here. Did it (probably too much) in college, and maybe a few times in the few years after that. No real desire now, so it doesn't affect me one way or the other. But I don't see the harm, especially for medicinal purposes.

If it was legal here, and employers didn't care, I might use it every once in a while, but probably not more than once or twice a month.

Weed is not heroin. I smoked weed but never did heroin so don't give me that "gateway drug" argument...
In my opinion, the only validity to it being a gateway drug is that if you have to get it illegally, you probably are getting it from someone who has worse stuff, like heroin. So the hard stuff is available. So in a way, legalizing it would make it so people who just want some weed aren't as likely to be put in a situation where harder drugs are around.

wakjob

Reaction score
Not for me. I don't like the effects of it personally.

WAY for it, in regards to the medicinal purposes though.
And industrial hemp is a must for our country IMO.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I love the idea of opening up Hemp production, as there are so many advantages over many different types of resources we deal with.

Recreational use should definitely be legal. One issue I've seen is the amount of knowledge out there about how to use the stuff properly is pretty slim since it's been illegal for so long. You see stuff in movies, but how many people could fire up a bong and use it properly? Or what is a "dab"? How many different methods of use is there? It's a huge, intimidating world.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Can't speak for other countries, but in the U.S. the federal government still considers marijuana illegal. Whether the feds ever do anything about it depends on how much you piss them off, but as far as states that have made it legal, as long as you don't make it available to kids and/or try to transport it across state line, the feds won't phuck with you. But if the feds get you for something else, I suppose they'll tack on a drug charge. Just too much discord between what the federal government wants and what the states want, which is kinda the it's always been in this country.

Legalization. Makes you wonder how you explain that to you kids all the efforts to stay away from drugs that they learn in school, from public service announcements, so-called "after school specials," and various other efforts.

MOM: "No, we don't want you taking marijuana. Be drug free. Just say no. Red Ribbon week!"

Little Susie:"But Mommy, didn't the voters in out state legalize marijuana? If we learn in school that drugs are bad, and we should just say no, and we should stand up to drugs, and we should wear red ribbons during red ribbon week, then why should be say no to marijuana? Why two messages? Mommy, I want answers!"

MOM: "You want answers?"

Little Susie: "I want the truth!"

Mom: "You can't handle the truth!"

I don't care if you have kids or not, the contradictions and the hypocrisy is pure comedy. And yes, marijuana/legalization is a political topic any way you slice it, which probably means this thread will get shutdown.

Last edited:

rmlevasseur

Reaction score
Torn on the issue. i don't really want to debate anyone on it but feel confident that it's a thorny issue and should be treated as such. Everyone has a valid point about it. I think it does have medicinal purposes, I think it is less harmful as far as the behavior it induces than alcohol, and I think it is a gateway drug for the very reason that it is largely a "safe" way to start drug use. As a defense attorney I have had many people on probation for serious offenses go to prison simply because they couldn't put down the weed. That alone tells me the substance is in fact addictive. I am happy to see the legal penalties easing up, but it's not something I want to see my kids start. I believe that regular marijuana use tends to cause a general apathy in people. Fine for a cancer patient but not so fine for a teenager who needs to focus on their future before certain opportunities pass them by. With that said, the criminalization of the substance certainly hasn't kept it out of anyone's hands, and has probably done even more damage to people's lives than the weed itself.

In short, this issue is a real teeter-totter for me. I tend to lean towards those who believe the government shouldn't be telling us what to do with weeds, but I also know that the end of its criminalization will lead to corporate production of the stuff and reckless advertisement of a substance that is not without its danger, focused on the younger crowd, exactly like alcohol is. I have zero faith in corporate ethics. Once it's completely legal, it's all about the money, and not about the damage it causes. I wish we lived in a world where so many people didn't want drugs and alcohol in their lives, and didn't want to push it on my kids thru rampant advertising, but we just don't. It takes a certain maturity to accept this as a reason for not wanting it legal, which our society just lacks. We live in a society that will always justify the means and damn the ends in the name of freedom. It's an abuse of freedom but one that I think we nevertheless have. Not everything about freedom is great.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
"Just say no!" In the states that its legal they haven't changed the law on job drug testing. Don't smoke it if you want to keep your job.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
well said and a big hug to ya on this one. I feel what your saying and I too am torn on the subject.
if it does become legal, I don't think it should be allowed to be publicly advertised so to speak.
make it just like cigs and booze. you don't see them advertised like we did not so long ago.

Ghostman

Reaction score
"Just say no!" In the states that its legal they haven't changed the law on job drug testing. Don't smoke it if you want to keep your job.
weird. Around my parts, they only drug test for the heavy drugs, and not Pot. That's almost all employers around here, except the big construction companies. :shrug:

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
Propaganda is very powerful. It goes in deep. What I think is a more mature (and laborious) approach is to understand the nature of propaganda. How it works, how it affects us. We think we're safe from it, but our minds are scrubbed constantly. Or as RATM put it: "We got a bullet in the head."

Having said that:

There has been propaganda against this plant for a long time now, so there are campaigns to try to break the demonized image it has had for all this time. The pro weed campaigns are its counterpart. Unfortunately, with propaganda, there is some deceit involved. And yes, that applies to the "pro weed" side.
So--
NO, it is not "the devil's herb."
NO, it is not good for you to smoke.

But dude, comon...
It's a god damned plant. Its still frustrating to think that, for a lot of people, it seems "right" to make a plant illegal.

(SmokeyDopey's propaganda)

Last edited: